League of Legends pre-season to begin October 27th 2009!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corvus Corax

09-30-2009

Its too early to launch now, I dont think that much will change in one month. Not only there are lots of bugs waiting to be adressed, the beta build we are playing lacks many features too. I hope the time's gonna prove me wrong...

Shillen

09-30-2009

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I'm not seeing this announcement as good news. Two comments:

1) Will pre-season have ranked games or is it just going to be normal games to "practice" with? Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds to me this is just their way of putting off implementing ranked games and it will also allow them to put in unbalanced heroes without affecting competitive play (because there won't be any competitive play). It sounds to me like they're releasing but continuing beta.

2) First half of 2010? What does that mean? That could be May for all we know. I would feel a lot better if they said season 1 begins in January. Even if it starts in January that's over 2 months after release. Hate to say it, but most people get tired of playing games in less than 3 months after they buy them. I can see people getting bored even faster if there's no competitive play at release.

Rokudan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

09-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
Its too early to launch now, I dont think that much will change in one month. Not only there are lots of bugs waiting to be adressed, the beta build we are playing lacks many features too. I hope the time's gonna prove me wrong...

You haven't been around to see all that Riot CAN do in a month

Krangg

09-30-2009

Can I change my summon name somehow? I didn't realize the name would be perminant. Will I have to register a new email address when the game comes out? I have already preordered it.

LesPaulLover

09-30-2009

Yeah the "pre-season" idea is fantastic...also, can we get a turkey skin for Rammus for turkey day? lols

foxypickles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-30-2009

i'm excited for competetive teams. FINALLY STRATEGY!! WOOT WOOT

Manbreakfast

09-30-2009

Ha! The pre-season starts on my birthday =D

Kenterik

09-30-2009

i'm agreeing with all these guys wanting to change summoner names but keep our beta stuff...

Demandred

09-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillen View Post
Maybe I'm a pessimist but I'm not seeing this announcement as good news. Two comments:

1) Will pre-season have ranked games or is it just going to be normal games to "practice" with? Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds to me this is just their way of putting off implementing ranked games and it will also allow them to put in unbalanced heroes without affecting competitive play (because there won't be any competitive play). It sounds to me like they're releasing but continuing beta.

2) First half of 2010? What does that mean? That could be May for all we know. I would feel a lot better if they said season 1 begins in January. Even if it starts in January that's over 2 months after release. Hate to say it, but most people get tired of playing games in less than 3 months after they buy them. I can see people getting bored even faster if there's no competitive play at release.
I'm sure there willl be ranked games upon release, but the ladder rankings won't have any meaning until the first season. As for getting bored with a game... You're completely wrong. I've been playing DotA since Euls, and the only reason I stopped a few months ago is I am sick of the wc3 community. First half= January-June. Also, I'm fine with waiting if I don't have to deal with a botched product like GoW2.

We don't have to buy this game.

Corvus Corax

10-01-2009

From what Ive understood, it will be a semi-launch. Pre-season is gonna be open-beta and the period to finish the game before the actual launch. Ive made a list of features that should obviously be added to the game before the actual launch, you can add yours if you like..

- different maps
- game modes (random, mirror etc.)
- tutorial (newbie island etc.)
- shop (different hero skins etc.)
- ranking / ladders (and probably a little more matchmaking work)
- finishing up the rune system
- multiple mastery settings (ability to save more than one)
- new announcer?? (just read that thread)

Many features they are adding are things most game developers actually finish before they launch the beta (closed or not). Im not adding any debugging work to that list. I hope the new players wont be put off by bugs or the lack of anything once it goes public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
You haven't been around to see all that Riot CAN do in a month
Yeah, that may be right. I started at the beginning of September that is close to a month though. I trust Riot for making a great game, but Im not sure launching it public in the previously announced time (Fall 2009) is a better idea than delaying the game (which is a common habbit for some game companies). BTW Im really looking forward to this patch.

EDIT: I was downloading the patch while I was writing this, and I now noticed the tutorial was added. Now that was quick

And yeah "There will be a short open beta prior to the pre-season starting on October 27th." so my first statement is untrue but I still fear pre-season is gonna look like beta (a testing period).