@Riot, what's the deal with Yordles?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scripted

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2011

This is copied from the two other places I posted it. Seems more logical here.

Why do none of the yordles look anything alike? I guess Tristana and Poppy are both blue but between Teemo, Kennen, Rumble, Heimerdinger, possibly amumu and Corki none of them really have anything in common other than some have fur, and some don't, and they are all short. Their ears aren't anything a like nor is their skin.

Are there different "races" of Yordles or something? I just don't get it.

EpicFrogNinja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2011

Young male yordles are furry (Rumble, Teemo)

As they grow older, a lot of the fur comes off, leaving only some of it (Heimerdinger, Corki)

Female yordles have blue skin and white hair (Tristana, Poppy)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veigar has a hat that shades his face, covering his fur

Amumu is a mummy, so of course he looks different...

DetectiveCactus

11-10-2011

This is copied from another post I made before.

Quote:
The official explanation is this:

> Yordle females have blue skin.
> Yordle males have hair. The amount of hair may differ between individual yordles - the diverse shapes and colors of the hair are what attracts females. Thus, there are complete furries (i.e. Kennen, Teemo) and then there are near-hairless ones (i.e. Corki).

It's a form of sexual dimorphism, which is actually very common in the nature. A famous example would be peacocks: they too, like yordles, have flamboyantly colored males and more prudish females.

... and yes, this is the "official" explanation. The real reason they differ, however, is because originally there were two distinct races called "yordles" and "meglings": The former were the furry ones, and the latter were the blue ones. However, Riot merged the two into a single race because they thought that two similarly short-statured races would cause too much confusion. "Meglings" are now retconned into the name of a yordle army unit, and Tristana is a member of it.

By the way, the search function exists for a reason. I believe Sylph's thread stickied at the top of this forum also has a link to a post addressing this issue.

Scripted

11-10-2011

Cool thanks.

DetectiveCactus

11-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicFrogNinja View Post
As they grow older, a lot of the fur comes off, leaving only some of it (Heimerdinger, Corki)
I'm sorry, but I've never heard about this before. Is this just a speculation, or is it from an official source?

Firlyean

11-11-2011

Well, the sexual dimorphism and other explanations above is not official, but it's commonly regarded as true (after thorough discussion). Riot's official stance is that there are many races of Yordles, they come in all sorts of colours, furs, and appearances much like how Humans have so many appearances (race, ethnicity)

DetectiveCactus

11-11-2011

It IS official, if you regard Red posts made on forums as canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
As for the male/female thing, makes have the "peacock complex"; the male yordle is responsible for attracting the female of the species, hence why the males have a wider variety of skin/fur types. This is why Teemo gets all the ladies OH YEAH~
The "peacock complex", in a more biologically accurate term, is sexual dimorphism.