Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why the hell do people build Lich Bane on Ryze?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TriforceOfChozo

Recruiter

11-10-2011

Well his skills are very spammable so sheen will proc often, but there are better items on Ryze.

TheForeverBean

11-10-2011

Because you auto attack so much with Ryze, obviously.

Valiant Corvus

11-10-2011

Quote:
HS Dubious:
Because you auto attack so much with Ryze, obviously.
:l

donkeykong98123

11-23-2011

Quote:
TheRealDrSeuss:
I've NEVER seen a Ryze build Lich, like ever.

i would rather get rod of ages, i used to build lich bane cause i can't do anything to towers. but rod of ages is better

KxN

11-24-2011

Let's first focus on just the "AP" aspect of Lich Bane and its UNIQUE passive. Even though Ryze's itemization revolves around Mana for damage and sustainability, TOTG will eventually be upgraded to something. If a Ryze itemize to Archanangel staff for the AP boost to his E, a Lich Bane will give him a total of around 150-180 (Mana pool depending). That means you're looking at an additional 200-250 damage from an autoattack. Regardless of how many people may say that "Ryze will never auto attack because his spell CDs are so low", Ryze will auto attack. He will have a period of time when he needs to auto attack before his next spells become available. Or even in between spells, Ryze will still be dishing out a few autos. This means you're adding more damage to his arsenal without needing his skills to do damage to an opponent.

When will this come in handy? Team fights and direct 1v1s. The damages really do add up. So within 6 seconds of a fight, Ryze can effectively do an additional 600 damage (2 second cooldown on LIch Bane) This may not seem like a lot, but when used correctly, you're effectively adding 1.5x more damage to your combo set.

Now let's look at the other stats of Lich Bane that are just as useful to Ryze, considering his build.

+350 Mana = More Q and W damage, and increases his overall mana pool, which also adds to AA staff for more AP for E, and UNIQUE passive damage.

+30 MR for more sustainability

7% Movement speed = faster movement for a champ with a naturally slower movement speed.

When you add the whole package together, you're looking at a great item for Ryze late-mid to late game.

-out