[Guide] Sunfire Shaco in Summoner's Rift

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alyzar

06-25-2010

WARNING. Lost a great deal of viability after the clone nerf.

DISCLAIMER: This hasn't been proofread very well, so pointing out mistakes and typing errors would be greatly appreciated.

Shaco is one of the most versatile and interesting heroes in the game. I've yet to see a guide on Summoner's Rift SF Shaco, so I shall make one. I am going to assume that you already know the basics of Shaco, and seeing as this is a guide, are unaware of what exactly makes Sunfire Shaco awesome.

Pros :

More team fight presence. Decieve into an ongoing 5v5 fight, pop your clone, and suddenly their entire team is taking (Give or take) 400 magic damage per second. Usually, in a knee jerk reaction, their entire team will throw CCs at me, thus wasting their arsenal, doing minimal damage, and of course, being the good player that you are, you pop your cleanse and continue AoEing their entire team, which is now completely lacking in any form of spells. The moment you jump in, a team also has a tendency to scatter, causing their formation to break. Sunfire shaco is a lot like Sunfire Amumu in that aspect.

You will never die. Let's assume for a moment that their damage was to much for you and you're down to critical condition. One of the biggest issues every AD Shaco has is surviving long enough to use his deceive again. People love to focus Shaco. He deceives in, two shots your mage, while laughing maniacally. He pisses people off and the second he pops out I guarantee most people will attempt to force him out of the fight simply due to the fact that if they don't he will be back in 8 seconds to backstab another person. Because of this, Shacos have a tendency to be focused fast and die faster. Sunfire Shaco doesn't have this problem. He laughs at DPS carries who attempt to plow through his stacked HP and armor and patiently awaits the next deceive before vanishing off in a puff of orange smoke. Sunfire shaco has this thing where he always gets away with but a sliver of health and it does horrible things to the teammates morale and causes them to get greedy, but you are so hard to kill that they just waste their time going after you whilst the rest of your team is rather unfocused because of this. One may ask "What if they don't focus you?" Then they will persistently die to your sustained DPS and you will get a Quadra kill, which brings us to the next pro.

Lasting power, Versatility, and Unpredictability. AD Shacos have a tendency to slip in, deal with the single mage, and then slip out as quickly as possible. A good team will expect and prepare accordingly for this. Because of this, there isn't much he can do outside of this. It would be lovely if they already used up every CC and had their backs turned to you, completely oblivious the fact that you just slit Fiddlestick's throat, but alas, it doesn't work that way. Because of this, the lasting effect of AD shaco is rather minor. Not that I am poking at the AD Shaco. He has amazing burst potential and fills a niche that is needed in some teams, but everyone can agree that he lacks a lasting power that is needed in many team fights.

Moving on to Versatility. An AD Shaco can only come in from so many directions, and has a tendency to target the same character each fight. A Sunfire Shaco has more freedom in what he can do and what he is capable of, whether it be chasing down a group of runners, or simply running chaotically about as their team scrambles to kill you.

Unpredictability. With Sunfire Shaco, you aren't forced into the role of squishy killer, but are focused into the role of team killer and AoE DPS. You cause a lot more chaos and own their morale. Whilst AD Shaco is better at singular Morale ownage, Sunfire shaco has a tendency to make an entire team feel awful.

Cons:

Lack of focused Burst Damage. The one major fault in Sunfire Shaco is that he has a bit of an inability to do that immediate damage that AD shaco can do, when it is needed. This is the major fault in him as he gives up burst DPS from crits in exchange for the sustained AoE damage. It's more of a trade up, but I think any AD shaco players that try out Sunfire builds will notice this almost immediately.

Back Door Capabilities suffer. I often see AD Shacos popping their clone and jumping on to solo a full HP Tower and inhibitor. Sunfire Shaco players can tank it a lot more easily, but they don't exactly output the damage required to solo a tower as quickly as an AD Shaco can. Granted, if you have a faithful Tristana by your side, that's another story.

When do I pick Sunfire Shaco?: Sunfire Shaco excels in many different compositions because he can fill a large number of roles. That being said, without a doubt, his best team is one with a heavy amount of Physical DPS. What you want to do is make the tank question whether to stack MR or stack armor, or to make the tank try to cover both forms of damage. I often see less then good players buy a lot of MR in an attempt to counter me and end up getting critted to death by Trusty Tristana.

What you don't want to do is give the tank another reason to stack MR when your team is already caster heavy.

Spells:

I run Cleanse and Ghost. Cleanse is the best spell in the game and that's why they nerfed it. Fortunately, it remains amazingly effective and has saved me more times then I can count.

Ghost over Flash?: I'm assuming I'll get this question despite the fact that Shaco already has a flash. I pick ghost over flash because Shaco is all about sustainability rather then burst. It's preferential, but I believe being a great deal faster then their entire team for a nice amount of time is rather invaluable in comparison to moving a couple of feet instantly.

Masteries:

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/t...g?t=1277527878

Items:

You may feel the desire to laugh at the utter simplicity of this build. I could simply list it to you, but I'd rather justify it as I go along. At level 1, the way I see it, you have two choices.

Doran's Shield + HP Pot is your first choice, and a rather safe one. This is a staple build that a lot of good players use because it caters to three different stats that go a long way in early game. This gives you a safety net for harassment and a boost in team fights that you would otherwise be unsure of.

Null Magic Mantle + 2 HP Pots is the second, more unorthodox choice. Answer this question: When you go the Doran's Shield build, do you find yourself looking at your inventory around level 10 and notice that you never even used the HP potion that you previously invested in? If so, this build is for you. Although your safety net is gone, you have a trusty 400 HP in regen at your disposal for a great deal less money. In a measly 800 gold you can teleport back and buy your trusty Merc treads, giving you an upper hand over every other player that invested in the shield. As you can tell, this is my preferred build, so I am slightly biased towards it.

And now, the fun begins. At this point, I tend to roam a bit more, lurking the jungle with a couple of extra HP pots to farm up extra gold and a golem, looking for possible ganks, essentially basic Shaco play. Upon hitting 1110 gold, I port back and get my Giant's belt. Congratulations, you are only 1400 gold away from your first sunfire cape. Upon retrieving said cape, the fun begins. Tower kills win games, and with even a single Cape, Shaco can push a lane very quickly. When a team seems a lone shaco farming near their tower up top early game, it alleviates a great deal of stress from them. You aren't MIA, so they don't have to worry about you ganking them or plotting something even more awful. They know you aren't MIA, they know they can't gank you without a great deal of planning, so they simply ignore you, and what tuns into a Shaco innocently farming becomes "The enemy team has destroyed a turret."

Let's assume they notice this is happening and attempt to gank you while you are bashing their tower in with your clone. This is amazing for you and your team because it diverts a great deal of attention to you and away from said team. They won't kill you not because you're shaco, but because you are a shaco with 450 bonus HP, cleanse, and ghost. They aren't going to get you, their tower suffers enough damage to where you've destroyed it, or it's close enough where you can simply backdoor it 2 minutes later after your nublet enemies forget that they even tried to gank you. Meanwhile, your amazing team is pushing bot, hurt that tower, and it becomes a wild goose chase for the enemy team, all the while your own towers remain intact.

Look at all the good that single Sunfire cape has done for you. You are pushing their towers, near unkillable. You'll feel the pressing need to buy another Sunfire Cape, and you should. It's like a drug. You buy another, and another without thinking, often checking back at the shop to see if you have enough gold, and if you've played your cards right, at the 30 minute mark you will offhandedly look down and blink at the fact that your inventory is a pair of boots and five sunfire capes. The enemy team will hate you, your team will adore you, and you'll feel like some unstoppable force. Regarding Banshee's veil and Guardian Angel, as well as other items. Forget about them for Sunfire Shaco. They serve as nothing but crutches. I'll tell you the same thing I tell the Ashe that takes heal and the Nunu that maxes out Consume before Blood boil. It's a crutch. Don't rely on crutch items and crutch spells and crutch abilities. You don't need them to survive and letting them go (Unless it fits the character) will ultimately make you a better player.

TL;DR?

Buy Boots. Then buy 5 Sunfire Capes. Your build ends at 30 minutes.

Leveling:

It's all about preference. This is what I do, though.

Lvl 1: Jitb
Lvl 2: Shiv
Lvl 3: Deceive

Then it goes Ult > Shiv > Deceive > Jitb

Runes: Also a matter of preference. I've yet to buy runes for Shaco as he isn't my main, although I'd assume that an HP / armor build would suffice rather well.

Alyzar

06-25-2010

Bump

Lord Bender

06-25-2010

I really like guardian Angel after second Sunfire Cape

And never Deceive into enemies, beceause you will have your escape tool on cooldown. Deceive only when chasing or avoiding damage.
I have seen too many fail Shaco´s who deceive into grass, where wards and 2 enemies are.

And i Dont think you can build boots and 5 Capes at 30 min mark

good guide btw

Alyzar

06-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bender View Post
I really like guardian Angel after second Sunfire Cape

And never Deceive into enemies, beceause you will have your escape tool on cooldown. Deceive only when chasing or avoiding damage.
I have seen too many fail Shaco´s who deceive into grass, where wards and 2 enemies are.

And i Dont think you can build boots and 5 Capes at 30 min mark

good guide btw
At 30-35 minutes I almost always have my entire build done.

I don't deceive into the grass, but I do deceive into a group of enemies to initiate enemy fights.

Thankie for the compliment, though. I'll keep your tips in mind.

I do understand Guardian Angel, I just don't use it because I never die. I almost always manage to get away with HP left. The most deaths I've had as Sunfire shaco in a game is 4.

Trinovantes

06-26-2010

sounds fun,

hope i can try it out before shaco rotates out

Phantasm92

06-26-2010

guardian angel is not a crutch, it ensures better survival for your clone to deal 200 DPS in an AOE

Alyzar

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm92 View Post
guardian angel is not a crutch, it ensures better survival for your clone to deal 200 DPS in an AOE
Alright. Let's assume for a second that you get a guardian Angel over a Sunfire cape.

They cost about the same, so let's not factor that in.

Let's look at general effectiveness.

Passives aside for a moment, Guardian angel has 60 More MR, and 23 more Armor.

Sunfire cape has 450 more HP.

Now looking at passives.

With Guardian Angel, Shaco loses 80 Damage per second in AoE damage.

In return he gains a free Zilean ult every 5 minutes assuming he falls every 5 minutes.

Looking more in depth at this, as Sunfire Shaco, you want people to go after and target you because your damage doesn't suffer when you are running, you still do 400 DPS (320 in your case).

If you find you or your clone dying often, then yes, Guardian Angel is a valid choice. Let's pretend the clone survives for, on average, 10 seconds (Assuming you let it die often).

40x10 = 400 AoE damage that you aren't getting because of Guardian Angel, ontop of the 600 AoE damage you aren't doing to ensure the life of something that's meant to die and that's the clone alone. Adding in the damage you aren't doing with that bonus sunfire cape on the real shaco in those 10 seconds, you aren't doing 1200 AoE damage. Not worth it in my opinion, but if you feel the need, by all means.

Dashon

06-26-2010

This is an awesome build, I saw you use it against me and you won easily.

Lord Bender

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzar View Post
Alright. Let's assume for a second that you get a guardian Angel over a Sunfire cape.

They cost about the same, so let's not factor that in.

Let's look at general effectiveness.

Passives aside for a moment, Guardian angel has 60 More MR, and 23 more Armor.

Sunfire cape has 450 more HP.

Now looking at passives.

With Guardian Angel, Shaco loses 80 Damage per second in AoE damage.

In return he gains a free Zilean ult every 5 minutes assuming he falls every 5 minutes.

Looking more in depth at this, as Sunfire Shaco, you want people to go after and target you because your damage doesn't suffer when you are running, you still do 400 DPS (320 in your case).

If you find you or your clone dying often, then yes, Guardian Angel is a valid choice. Let's pretend the clone survives for, on average, 10 seconds (Assuming you let it die often).

40x10 = 400 AoE damage that you aren't getting because of Guardian Angel, ontop of the 600 AoE damage you aren't doing to ensure the life of something that's meant to die and that's the clone alone. Adding in the damage you aren't doing with that bonus sunfire cape on the real shaco in those 10 seconds, you aren't doing 1200 AoE damage. Not worth it in my opinion, but if you feel the need, by all means.

those are valid arguments, i myself don´t die after i buy GA, so maybe its useless for me

did you tryed that Atma´s Impaler?

Alyzar

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bender View Post
those are valid arguments, i myself don´t die after i buy GA, so maybe its useless for me

did you tryed that Atma´s Impaler?
I've seen it, but I haven't really done any research or tested it out.

Let's take a look at it now. IF it works, I'll add a section to the guide.

So...

At level 18, with only 4 Sunfire capes, you'd get 3661 HP (Without runes or masteries involved)

That's 73.22 bonus damage per hit.

His untampered with crit chance at level 18 is 10.15, so this would give him a 28.15% Crit chance.

I'd say no, simply because this build is focused around AoE Sunfire damage and the Atma is more of a focus damage item. That being said, I can see this item working really well in conjuction with a survivability oriented Shaco.

An item build that involved things like Frozen Mallet and Banshee's veil for a more defensively sound Shaco, maybe even a levi.

With those 3 items alone (20 stacks), he gets 3976 HP, which would mean Just about +80 Damage.

It's also more cost effective as those three items cost 7280 where as 4 Sunfires cost 10040, although I'd guess the gap is smaller due to the improved farming that Sunfires give.