How good is this Renekton build?

Great; arguably the best build out there for him. 3 10.71%
A good and very solid build. 2 7.14%
It's viable, but I think builds involving Atma's are better. 15 53.57%
Hardly viable. 6 21.43%
Not viable at all. 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Rate My Renekton Build! (Poll Inside)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dingding123

11-08-2011

Hey guys. So I've been playing a lot of Renekton over the past month in both normal and solo ranked games. After studying his build options a lot, I've found one build very attractive to me. I've used this for a couple dozen ranked games in Elo Limbo (1250-1400) as I like to call it, with great success. He's one of the toughest champs to solo top against in the game, and I enjoy exploiting that a lot with this build as well as helping him scale into lategame.

Anyways, considering this build is a little off-the-beaten-path from standard Renekton builds, I've made a thread dedicated to it to so that I can see the community's feedback.

Shrednekton

Masteries: 21/9/0

Offensive Mastery Notes: Standard offensive Renekton masteries, but I grab a point in Archaic Knowledge by sacrificing a point in Offensive Mastery. Considering 15% magic pen is the only magic pen you're getting (no diminishing returns), I find it worth grabbing for dealing a little extra damage with Wit's End, Dominus and the possible Bloodrazor.

Defensive Mastery Notes: I choose these over points in Utility because the extra bit of survivability helps ensure that I start dominating solo top as early as possible.

I put only 2 points in Evasion for 1 point in Harden Skin. I find it much more reliable to have more points in flat Armor/MR, to block 1 physical damage upon every attack and to have 1% dodge chance than to have a 2% dodge chance and to be granted a small MS buff for 5 seconds. I hardly ever get Ninja Tabi, but if I see that I'm up against practically an entire team of AD champs I'll change these masteries.

Runes:

3x MS Quints:
I favor MS over more Deso or AD quints because Renekton needs a bit of mobility to catch up with his targets, especially considering I don't start with boots or get Frozen Mallet with this build.

9x Desolation Marks:
Good throughout the entire game, which is good for Renekton because his late game can fall off a bit if you didn't accomplish enough early game. Best runes out there IMO.

6x Resilience Seals, 3x Defense Seals:
A good extra bit of armor for early and late game alike.

2x Warding Glyphs, 7x Celerity Glyphs:
A little extra MR for early game, and enough CDR per lvl to get up to 34.7 or 39.7% CDR at lvl 18, depending on my build. Enough MR is built in this build to cover for not getting more Warding or Shielding Glyphs.

Skill Order:
E-W(or W-E)-Q-Q-Q-R-Q-W-Q-W-R-E-W-W-E-R-E-E

Build:

Starting Item:
Cloth Armor + 5 HP Pots

Renekton with 21 points in Offense needs this bulk and survivability if he's going to be able to trade off in his favor when harassing early game.

Core Laning Build:
Boots, Brutalizer, HoG, Merc's Treads/Ionian Boots of Lucidity

Boots are needed, Brutalizer is staple on Renekton.
HoG is obtainable because of his typical early-game dominance; however, if I'm somehow having trouble in lane I'll save getting it for later and grab a Doran's Shield instead.
I only get Ionian Boots of Lucidity if:
1.) There is a designated tank on my team
2.) Our opponents do not have much CC.
Otherwise, I get Merc's Treads.

Core Midgame Build:
Warden's Mail, Wit's End, Randuin's Omen

Yep, no Atma's/AtMog's in this build. Instead, I build ample armor/MR to make good use of Randuin's active and the extra 600 HP I get from his ult.
Wit's End is a staple on Renekton IMO; the extra magic damage it deals per hit early game is great because typically no one has built much/any MR yet; also, it alone gives you up to 50 MR, which I can reach very quickly in teamfights thanks to his W.
Randuin's Omen is a great all-around item. Its active and passive are great for slowing everyone down in teamfights and can also help me chase down and finish off targets.

Core Lategame Builds:
If I Got Merc's Treads:
Kindlegem, Last Whisper/Black Cleaver, Spirit Visage

If I Got Ionian Boots of Lucidity:
Hexdrinker, Last Whisper/Black Cleaver

The Last Whisper or Black Cleaver, coupled with Wit's End, helps Renekton deal great damage per hit. In Last Whisper's case, I'll be able to do tons of AoE damage to teams in teamfights with Cull the Meek and Slice&Dice. On the other hand, Black Cleaver will help me and my team take out any specific target very quickly thanks to its armor reduction. This is when most everyone has - at the very least - 81 armor, either through armor items or support/item auras. That being said, if I got Black Cleaver once I hit a target 3 times, my attacks will be ignoring 81 of the target's armor (until I sell Brutalizer).

That all being said, I still typically take Last Whisper because it usually helps me deal more overall damage for its price. Regardless of which one of these items I got, I will be very hard to ignore for the rest of the game.

Kindlegems CDR helps make up for most of the CDR I missed from not getting Boots of Lucidity, and grants a much-needed, cost-effective amount of health. Also, Spirit Visage's unique passive amplifies Cull the Meek, the HP regen from Randuin's and the possible Bloodthirster.

Hexdrinker's 35 AD is very welcome, alongside its 30 MR and spell shield passive. The shield helps mitigate enough burst damage if I happen to get focused and/or CC'ed in order for me to get out of the predicament alive or wipe my opponents out first.

Last Item:
Guardian Angel, Madred's Bloodrazor, Bloodthirster, Force of Nature

These are the items I get to replace my Brutalizer late game.
Guardian Angel is for when I'm often getting focused first in teamfights due to no designated tank or a tank's poor initiation skills. I get this the most often.
If the opponent's team is very tanky, Madred's Bloodrazor will help me shred anyone ridiculously fast.
If I'm the one dealing the most damage in teamfights thanks to a good designated tank and I got Spirit Visage, Bloodthirster will help me deal even more damage and have ridiculous longevity in teamfights to boot.
If their entire team deals mostly magic damage, Force of Nature helps nullify most magic damage dealt to me. If I got Spirit Visage, my HP regen will be through the roof. I get this the least often.

In Comparison with builds involving Atma's, this build provides more damage per second but has less burst. Also, while Atma's builds have a bit more overall sustain, Randuin's passive and active help Renekton and pals mitigate more damage from autoattackers.

Thanks for reading! Be sure to vote and comment; if you do and this build gets enough positive reinforcement, I may turn this into a full-fledged guide on Mobafire or Solomid. If you're trying this build out for yourself, be warned: you will not do as well outside of a solo, 1v1 lane; however I suppose that goes for Renekton in general, despite his build.

Jazman84

11-08-2011

Last Whisper is always better than Black Cleaver on Renekton.

Black Cleaver is designed for Auto-Attackers and Assasins as they have attack speed and are there to kill a target that will be focused. And it works great for them because they will get to the target, get fast stacks and then everyone gets the ArP bonus on it.

Renekton's highest damage will come from a Fury buffed Cull the Meek in team fights. And Last Whisper will reduce EVERYONE's armor. 40% is huge because it scales with all targets.

Renekton's role in a team fight is not to focus a target, but to do as much dmg to as many targets as possible.

Imagine for a moment that a teamfight breaks outat baron and there is a cluster of enemy champs.

Say you have 250AD.
You Slice through ensuring you hit as many enemies as you can, inflicting 319 dmg before armor to them all.
You dice back through them, dealing another 319 dmg, again to everyone in range.
You pop your Ult then use a Fury buffed Cull the Meek on them for 439 dmg, again too everyone in range.
You then use a standard Ruthless Predator on the nearest squishy target for 465dmg.
After you use another 50 Fury Cull the meek for 439dmg. Yes, to everyone in range.

Before armor you have potentially inflicted a total of 1077dmg to your targets.
The lucky duck you used Ruthless Predator on has taken 1543dmg and is likely dead.

In this situation, Last Whisper has reduced everyone's armor by a further 40% after flat ArP.
If you had Black Cleaver however, only your squishy friend has received the debuff...

iP1ayJarvan

11-08-2011

should be doing warmogs atmas mercs FoN sunfire ghostblade. renek doesnt need a lot of ad to be effective

btw if i remember correct, this build gives me 291 AD, and thats with 0/9/21 masteries. last whisper can be slotted in for sunfire if there is too much armor.

runes should be MS quints, armor pen reds, dodge yellows and cdr quints. movespeed is very important on him, and so is cdr so i find the utility tree alot more appealing to me than tank or offense

Kayote

11-09-2011

I wouldn't put the Wit's end on him personally. You don't need attackspeed on him. That goes double for Black-Cleaver. Also stay away from any of the magic damage items save Sunfire Cape or Thorn mail. And because of that take out the point in magic pen for you masteries. It's just a waste.

Movespeed quints are fun but vastly unneeded as you get most of your early kills catching people off guard by dashing through minions and nailing them with a fury stun. Doing this a few times will gold starve the enemy lane as they know when Ren has 50 fury they're dead if they get out of place.

Your early game needs to be more agressive over passive so go with a Doran's blade. This gives you a bit of life steal on your stun as well as giving you extra health and damage. I personally wouldn't screw with tank items till around mid to late game when you are either fed enough that you can easily get them or can easily farm minion waves.

iP1ayJarvan

11-09-2011

Quote:
Movespeed quints are fun but vastly unneeded as you get most of your early kills catching people off guard by dashing through minions and nailing them with a fury stun
and movespeed quints are what help you to do it. besides, you don't waste your dash on the minion, you slice AT them (with help of the movespeed of course), nail them like you said, and dice them again for further chasing and damage. (and there, movespeed helps again). the damage on slice isn't ignorable, you waste it its half of the skill's damage that way.

Kayote

11-09-2011

Basically what I do, only I make sure that I get the Dice. When I first started playing him I did it your way and every now and then I'd misjudge the distance or a hit box would be just small enough to not get touched by it. It's not so much that I'm wasting the Slice's damage but assuring I get Dice to jump in front of them. Also by assuring that you get a Dice no matter what you know that if things go sour you can GTFO with Dice.

It's pretty much a personal prefferance of more armor pen over move speed as I personally have played long enough without the movespeed quints that I know what I can and cannot get away from or chase. My Ren is more damage based to start with so I can really prey on the weaker enemy team mate in the lane and set myself up for lane dominance early. A Ren with lane dominance is a very happy Ren.

Dingding123

11-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazman84 View Post
Last Whisper is always better than Black Cleaver on Renekton.

Black Cleaver is designed for Auto-Attackers and Assasins as they have attack speed and are there to kill a target that will be focused. And it works great for them because they will get to the target, get fast stacks and then everyone gets the ArP bonus on it.

Renekton's highest damage will come from a Fury buffed Cull the Meek in team fights. And Last Whisper will reduce EVERYONE's armor. 40% is huge because it scales with all targets.

Renekton's role in a team fight is not to focus a target, but to do as much dmg to as many targets as possible.

Imagine for a moment that a teamfight breaks outat baron and there is a cluster of enemy champs.

Say you have 250AD.
You Slice through ensuring you hit as many enemies as you can, inflicting 319 dmg before armor to them all.
You dice back through them, dealing another 319 dmg, again to everyone in range.
You pop your Ult then use a Fury buffed Cull the Meek on them for 439 dmg, again too everyone in range.
You then use a standard Ruthless Predator on the nearest squishy target for 465dmg.
After you use another 50 Fury Cull the meek for 439dmg. Yes, to everyone in range.

Before armor you have potentially inflicted a total of 1077dmg to your targets.
The lucky duck you used Ruthless Predator on has taken 1543dmg and is likely dead.

In this situation, Last Whisper has reduced everyone's armor by a further 40% after flat ArP.
If you had Black Cleaver however, only your squishy friend has received the debuff...
So I've done some testing and I have to mostly agree with you: in most scenarios, Last Whisper is better. I've started using that in my build instead of Black Cleaver with much more success in dealing more damage overall to their entire team.

I'll still use Black Cleaver in games where I see a lot of squishies, or a squishy or two are hard-carrying a team and need to get taken out ASAP in teamfights. Other than that, Last Whisper all the way. Thx for the feedback!

Edit: edited Black Cleaver section, as well as some other things.

UnMatchable

03-05-2012

wtf you stole my ultra secret Ren build wtf? My build is very similar and it got me 1800+ elo. My build is:

If i'm blue team i start regrowth pendant build into warmog later.

If i'm purple team i start boots 3 pots.

Core:Hog, Witsend, tier 2 boots

Mid game: Witsend, Boots, Frozen mallet, Hog

End game: Witsend, Boots, Frozen M, Randuins, Madreds blood razor, Gaurdians angel

This build is the only build that allows me to actually kill carries fast and tank hard. I use to go AtMogs but i still get bursted down no problem. And it doesn't actually give that much offense for the amount of utility and defense my build gives.

LexCor

03-06-2012

Renekton is one of my mains, and I have to disagree with the build. He excels at being an early game bully, so outlaning your opponent is core to his overall success. To this end, it's not just about damage, it's about sustain and trading.
Boots + 3 pots with Regen Quintessences, Armor Seals and 9/21/0 make him nearly impossible to push out of lane.
Farm all day, and core build should be choice Boots, Brutalizer and Phage.
You should have won the lane against nearly anyone (except maybe Rumble) and have the attention of their jungler. From here, situational, but my optimal build usually ends in Atma, Mallet, FoN and Sunfire. Sell your Brutalizer for LW if you're off tank, GA or Warmog's if you're primary tank.