Making the transition to SR from TT

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

metric crapton

11-08-2011

Maybe this should be in the SR forum but I figure there's going to be more TT players here (obv)

I've been playing almost exclusivly TT, plus some Dominion once it came out. I stopped playing SR shortly after I stopped playing bots.

I'm not a fantastic player. 50/50ish win/loss

So here I am, a freshly minted LVL30 and I'd like to play some ranked games. Uh oh. No solo queue for Ranked TT.

I gave SR a shot but I am absolutely terrible at it. The dynamic is completely different from TT. Does anyone have any tips for making the transition from TT to SR? I've read the general strategy guides. What I'm mainly looking for is what habits do I need to break, totally new skills I need to pick up? Alternately what things am I likely to be better at after a lot of TT that your typical SR player may not be. i.e. What disruptive skill can I leverage?

Thanks!

1ring

11-08-2011

You could also find a team for ranked TT.

What I'd recommend is make a smurf and level it only on SR. By level 30 you will be familiar and passable on SR.

canadiangreen

11-08-2011

i would practice SR normals before you hop into solo que ranked. i find it take more team skill than it does in TT where one person can carry the team if there good. In summoners rift a little mistake can call the game if not recovered from.

1ring

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangreen View Post
i would practice SR normals before you hop into solo que ranked. i find it take more team skill than it does in TT where one person can carry the team if there good. In summoners rift a little mistake can call the game if not recovered from.
No. Just no. Go do ranked TT and then lose because your team work isn't good enough k?

Take the opposite of everything in this guys post.

canadiangreen

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ring View Post
No. Just no. Go do ranked TT and then lose because your team work isn't good enough k?

Take the opposite of everything in this guys post.
i was saying if he cant find a team to do ranked TT since he was talking about solo que..way to read his post fully.

1ring

11-08-2011

Quote:
i was saying if he cant find a team to do ranked TT since he was talking about solo que..way to read his post fully.
He is talking about twisted treeline and summoners rift. The fact that I mentioned ranked TT at all is just to bring up how you had no clue, but this of course changes no substance in that twisted treeline is more team based than summoners rift, among other things.

canadiangreen

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ring View Post
He is talking about twisted treeline and summoners rift. The fact that I mentioned ranked TT at all is just to bring up how you had no clue, but this of course changes no substance in that twisted treeline is more team based than summoners rift, among other things.
w/e dude didn't come here to argue like children... just voice my opinion have a nice day!

1ring

11-08-2011

Quote:
w/e dude didn't come here to argue like children... just voice my opinion have a nice day!
No, you came here to argue like a child. Have a ****ty day.

marklukejohn

11-08-2011

Summoners Rift is a vastly different game from TT. TT depends on the tanky bruiser dps, with the occasional ap nuker/utility ad champs. On summoners rift, you ALWAYS have an AP carry, and an AD carry. You also have a support if you are above 1300 elo <-- lol. So basically there are these roles and more, here is a list

1. Solo mid
-brand, kennen, annie, swain, cassiopeia, leblanc, malzahar, ryze, morgana, gragas, talon, urgot, vladimir, xerath, zilean,
These champs take solo mid, Alot of them have heavy magic damage burst, and can kill a player 1v1. Mid's goal is to be the highest level and gank after their lane is won.
2. Top Solo
- Rumble, garen, akali, singed, yorick, irelia, chogath, gragas, jax, nasus, riven, warwick, sion, skarner, renekton, nidalee, gangplank,
These champions have to have heavy sustain, and the ability to escape ganks. This is one of the hardest roles in 5v5's. Because you are farthest away from any support,and you get ganked alot.
3. Jungler
Warwick, gangplank, lee sin, amumu, rammus, tryndamere, udyr, xin zhao, olaf, nocturne,chogath.
These champs have special abilities that help them kill neutral camps espcially well. They usually have a healing move or life steal. These champions have to be good at ganking lanes, because after jungling the jungler must decide who to gank.
4. Support
- Soraka, sona, taric, alistar, zilean, janna, karma, lux, leona,
These champs usually take clairvoyance for extra support. These champs help the AD carry in bottom lane, either rack up creep kills, or get kills at bottom lane. The best supports can heal their ad carry and keep them in lane throughout the laning phase.
5. AD carry
- Miss fortune, ashe, caitlyn, vayne, tristana, twisted fate, urgot, corki, ezreal, twitch, graves.
These champs do a **** load of AD damage in teamfights mid and late game. Their goal for the first 15 minutes is to farm farm farm and avoid ganks ganks ganks.

TO SUCCEED IN SUMMONERS RIFT, YOU HAVE TO BE PROFICIENT IN 3 OF THESE ROLES ATLEAST. SO CHOOSE A CHARCTER THAT YOU LIKE IN EACH CATEGORY, AND MASTER THEM LIKE NO OTHER.

marklukejohn

11-08-2011

Previously I talked about different champs and the laning phase. Now lets move on to warding, ganking, mid game, late game.

Warding.
1. If you are bottom lane. hopefully the support buys a couple of wards to watch out for ganks.
PROTIP- it is easier to gank bottom lane if your team is the bottom team. It is easier to gank top lane if your team is the purple team on top.
2. Your jungler or support should be warding bottom dragon once the enemy jungler hits level 6 and above. You want to control the bottom dragon during the first 35 minutes of the game.
3. After 35 minutes, baron is the next target of each team. Baron ggives a super buff and a ton of gold to the team that kills him. Ward it.
4. You can also ward enemy jungle buffs, like red and blue buff, for superb ganking.
5. if you start losing, you should ward your own buffs

GANKING
BEWARE THE JUNGLER AT ALL TIMES
BEWARE FOR AN AP BURST GANK, IF MID IS MISSING
BEWARE IF TOP IS MISSING, YOUR JUNGLER OR MID IS ABOUT TO GET GANKED.
If you push your lane, and you don't ward the river. You will be ganked.

MID GAMEEEEEE
Dragon is usually the top priority.
The next thing you do, is group as 5 and go around destroying people all day. Go into their jungle, steal their buffs, kill them if they come. The key is to make sure that you don't get caught out of position and destroying. Keep your tanks in front, and cclairvoyance bushes that are scary. Mid game is killing the enemy team, once you kill them. You take their towers and push them. The goal is to have vision over the entire map. You control their jungles with wards and ganking. And then you push all the lanes for even more map vision.

LATE GAME.
POSITIONING is everything. You have to make sure you are in the right spot or else you are going to get bursted down so fast. This is the stage where everyone has their items and 2 people should be able to kill you very quickly. Your team has to be ready to retaliate the moment your tanks get bursted, or if your tanks inititate. The whole team has to act in unision to destroy the enemy team. Communication is everything. If some people dont go in, then disaster strikes. Once you get an ACE late game, the match should be over and nexus should get pushed, so a bad teamfight will decide the game.