What went wrong while writing Shyvana?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Cidem

Web Content Assistant

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHippoman View Post
Jarvan fights wild dragons. Shyvana just has dragon heritage, but she's not a wild animal.
Perhaps that's why Jarvan saved Shyvana. While dragons are usually considered ravenous beasts in their world, Shyvana is not a wild dragon. She's half-human. If she's able to control her other nature, she can be a part of Demacian society and make a great contribution to it. Not just as a monstrous weapon, but as a human being.

Dulrau

11-08-2011

I agree with you there, it was an asspull from Riot to try and create a more "cool" demacia.

but they could have done it alot better imo, and i do agree Jarvan has a Dragonknight skin where he is sitting ontop of a dead dragon that he just killed, heck one of his abilities is called "dragon lance" which got its name because its what he uses to kill dragons....

if anything Shyvana should have been like "i grew up in demacia, love it but they hate me" kind of thing and shes trying to save them from the shadows sort of like a reverse riven, shes beloved as a noble solider but she hates the current Noxus... Shyvana could love the current Demacia but demacia could hate her.

Doc Balance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidem1324 View Post
Perhaps that's why Jarvan saved Shyvana. While dragons are usually considered ravenous beasts in their world, Shyvana is not a wild dragon. She's half-human. If she's able to control her other nature, she can be a part of Demacian society and make a great contribution to it. Not just as a monstrous weapon, but as a human being.
See, this line of reasoning doesn't make any sense. From what they've established in the lore, these dragons are only wild animals in the way that they have no society that we understand. They're capable of working towards a long term goal with purpose, and then once it is reached they're capable of integrating with human society with ease. Dragons in Runeterra don't seem all that wild to me, in fact if anything it would seem that they look down on the regular society and kingdoms of the world as primitive and backwards, probably for good reason what with Jarvan "I like to pretend I kill dragons with my ****" Lightshield heading the PR department between Runeterrans and Dragons.

Riot Cidem

Web Content Assistant

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Balance View Post
See, this line of reasoning doesn't make any sense. From what they've established in the lore, these dragons are only wild animals in the way that they have no society that we understand. They're capable of working towards a long term goal with purpose, and then once it is reached they're capable of integrating with human society with ease. Dragons in Runeterra don't seem all that wild to me, in fact if anything it would seem that they look down on the regular society and kingdoms of the world as primitive and backwards, probably for good reason what with Jarvan "I like to pretend I kill dragons with my ****" Lightshield heading the PR department between Runeterrans and Dragons.
Perhaps "Celestial" Dragons are intelligent and have a society of their own, but as it's said in Shyvana's bio, they're rare and elusive. If the Dragon on Summoner's Rift is any indication, most of them are dangerous wild beasts. At least, that's how humans perceive dragons in their world.

Doc Balance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2011

Quote:
Perhaps "Celestial" Dragons are intelligent and have a society of their own, but as it's said in Shyvana's bio, they're rare and elusive. If the Dragon on Summoner's Rift is any indication, most of them are dangerous wild beasts. At least, that's how humans perceive dragons in their world.
Her bio also states, however, that Celestial Dragons are the products of regular dragons mastering their own physiology to the point of achieving what appears to be a sort of immortality. It's kind of vague on what exactly the difference is besides the ability to masquerade as humans.

I would agree that Runeterrans seem to at least perceive dragons as dangerous wild beasts, but is that really any different from any fantasy series? The fact still remains that her father, whom she seems immensely proud of and connected to the concept of, was at one time one of those wild beasts.

Tsaalyo

Recruiter

11-08-2011

Maybe it's because dragons typically like to burn all your ****. That's why Jarvan hunts them. This dragon, meanwhile, is protecting Demacia. Hence, she can live.

Doc Balance

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaalyo View Post
Maybe it's because dragons typically like to burn all your ****. That's why Jarvan hunts them. This dragon, meanwhile, is protecting Demacia. Hence, she can live.
But *why* is she protecting Demacia? Why is she not just burning all their ****? She has no reason to, what with the dead family and the angry mobs, etc. etc. etc.

Mary Cone

11-08-2011

Quote:
Well, it is said that Jarvan "strangely" knew exactly what she was and took her under his wing. This makes me think Jarvan met a Celestial Dragon before. My theory is that, during his journey, Jarvan slayed Shyvana's father during an epic battle. It's possible that he felt guilty about doing so, and is now watching over and training Shyvana to make up for it.

When Shyvana's Judgement does come out, I hope it addresses these things:

1. Her relationship with Jarvan. I'm thinking, since she's part of the Elite Guard, she acts as his bodyguard. She also may have secret feelings for him for saving her life and taking care of her.
2. The disaster that killed her family. I'm thinking she may have went off on an uncontrollable rage and accidentally killed them herself.
3. More into her motivations. She may have joined the League just to assist Jarvan, though I think there may be more to it than that.

Regarding Shyvana's bio itself, I agree it's a little generic, as we didn't learn all that much about the character herself. I also think they could have given her a better title as well. Something like "The Dragon's Fury" or "The Celestial Guard".
Just supporting this because The Dragon's Fury is such a cool title.

Dulrau

11-08-2011

Ok i thought up something.

Shyvana goes all berserk and kills her family.

Mob descends on her.

Jarvan is passing by and intervenes because all he knows is that its some girl being mobbed.
The crowd exalts that a dragon slayer has arrived and that he should take care of this monster, Jarvan being the good guy he is doesent get it, shyvana doesent look like a dragon of any kind.
Shyvana admits to him that she is indeed a dragon, he doesent understand what this means and instead of killing her he takes her in to figure out whats going on.
Shyvana wants Jarvan to kill him because she hates that shes got some kindof uncontrollable monster living inside her that can go insane at a drop of a hat.
Jarvan now finding out that Dragons can indeed become sentinent and that they can even become Celestial dragons persuades her that she must gain control of the power she has as her birthright as he himself is struggling with the power he is supposed to gain as the future king of Demacia and assures her that if she ever goes berserk again hell be there to bring her back in line or even kill her if needed. She at first just lives close to him because he wants to be there incase she goes berserk so he can stop her and later on she becomes part of his guard due to some circumstances and natural progression as shes very powerful and always by his side.

So basically Shyvana protects Jarvan from everyone else while Jarvan protects everyone else from Shyvana.

Would make sense tbh. and i sort of like the way they have a co-dependant existance.

EDIT: Jarvan doesent hunt dragons after this.

EDIT2: now Shyvana is still trying to master her dragon self aswell as retain her human self, she protects Demacia because she has now love/respect for Jarvan and since hes the crown-prince.

Doc Balance

11-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulrau View Post
Ok i thought up something.

Shyvana goes all berserk and kills her family.

Mob descends on her.

Jarvan is passing by and intervenes because all he knows is that its some girl being mobbed.
The crowd exalts that a dragon slayer has arrived and that he should take care of this monster, Jarvan being the good guy he is doesent get it, shyvana doesent look like a dragon of any kind.
Shyvana admits to him that she is indeed a dragon, he doesent understand what this means and instead of killing her he takes her in to figure out whats going on.
Shyvana wants Jarvan to kill him because she hates that shes got some kindof uncontrollable monster living inside her that can go insane at a drop of a hat.
Jarvan now finding out that Dragons can indeed become sentinent and that they can even become Celestial dragons persuades her that she must gain control of the power she has as her birthright as he himself is struggling with the power he is supposed to gain as the future king of Demacia and assures her that if she ever goes berserk again hell be there to bring her back in line or even kill her if needed. She at first just lives close to him because he wants to be there incase she goes berserk so he can stop her and later on she becomes part of his guard due to some circumstances and natural progression as shes very powerful and always by his side.

So basically Shyvana protects Jarvan from everyone else while Jarvan protects everyone else from Shyvana.

Would make sense tbh. and i sort of like the way they have a co-dependant existance.

EDIT: Jarvan doesent hunt dragons after this.

EDIT2: now Shyvana is still trying to master her dragon self aswell as retain her human self, she protects Demacia because she has now love/respect for Jarvan and since hes the crown-prince.
While this is a plausible explanation, it's not accounted for anywhere in her lore. All her quotes paint her as fiercely proud of her draconic heritage, and it also implies that people hated her before due to the fact that she's pretty obviously not human. Then an un-named tragedy kills her family, and there is no one left to protect her(Well, besides herself. Another lore hole.)