What went wrong while writing Shyvana?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doc Balance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

I'm a proud lore nerd. I like the relationships between characters, I like the connections, I like how the little events and excursions that new champions bring with them have impacts across this fictional world. Normally, I'm pleased when a new champion comes out and I get to speculate how they fit into everything that's going on. It's rare, even reading through the older back stories, for me to be disappointed with how the story of League of Legends fits together. That being said, what the hell happened with Shyvana?

Shyvana's back story is an absolute mess. Her relationship with Jarvan makes no sense, given that he's famous for slaughtering every ****ing dragon he's ever met. It's not like that's a secret, it's literally what he's best known for. He's Jarvan the IV, heir to the throne and resident kicker of dragon ass. Shyvana's obviously both proud of and incredibly connected to her heritage as a half-dragon, and yet she's not the slightest bit perturbed to be working with a guy who peaked right after slaughtering a ****-ton of dragons?

I get it, she's the daughter of a Celestial Dragon, not a regular dragon. However, if I'm following this incredibly confusing mess correctly, Celestial Dragons were all regular dragons at some point, correct? It's clear that these dragons are still intelligent beings, working towards the goal of becoming an ancient Celestial Dragon. It seems like she would feel something.

Even that aside, why would Jarvan want to save her? In case we haven't established this already, he seems to really ****ing hate dragons. So why does he want to save a dragon half-breed and raise her up to be part of her elite guard? It seems incredibly out of character for him, given how he's been portrayed in the Journal of Justice, his background, and his League Judgement.

Speaking of League Judgements, does Shyvana even have one? As far as I can tell, she's the first champ in quite some time to have no league judgement at all. These factors combined lead me to believe that her lore was rushed and placed at low-priority for her release, which I find disappointing. There is so much that could have been done with this character, and it's a shame to see her lore treated like an infinitesimal foot note, given how much attention is usually paid to these details. So again I ask: What happened, Riot?

Doc Balance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

bumpadump/reserved for theorycrafting.

Killer

Master Recruiter

11-07-2011

Jarvan is being impersonated by Leblanc remember?

Senkait

11-07-2011

It's because she's actually half bat, and Batman would never need a League judgement.

Private Katarina

11-07-2011

But Jarvan did impale her with his spear ...

ƒlawLess x

11-07-2011

Jarvan is convinced that she is a bat, and not a dragon.

I mean, he's been slaying dragons for quite some time now. He should know better than anyone that "dragon" is absolutely the wrong title for her.

Doc Balance

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfwuzdat View Post
Jarvan is being impersonated by Leblanc remember?
But when did that start, and has that ever gone beyond fan speculation? I don't remember that being confirmed.

Even then, that doesn't explain why she wants to be around him. Further still, when did Leblanc start impersonating him? The backstory would imply that her training and their relationship grew over a series of years, it doesn't make sense otherwise. If this all occurred within the last couple of months or so between the business in the Crystal Scar and now, what changed so drastically in her power level and mentality that she couldn't handle a mob of peasants then, yet now goes toe to toe with the most powerful individuals in the realm? It doesn't add up, time-line wise.

Azaer

11-07-2011

People have been *****ing that Shyvana is "not a dragon" because her claws come out of her wings, instead having seperate arms (making her a Wyvern).

Maybe Jarjar has a soft spot for Wyverns.

Treyen

11-07-2011

Cause shes sexah and Jarvan is into that half dragon ass. Isn't this the classic "Love conquers all" sappy **** theme in the LoLverse

Doc Balance

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaer View Post
People have been *****ing that Shyvana is "not a dragon" because her claws come out of her wings, instead having seperate arms (making her a Wyvern).

Maybe Jarjar has a soft spot for Wyverns.
Again, that still doesn't explain why she hasn't bitten his head off and hate-****ed him to death. Especially if he's sparing her because she's a wyvern, seems like that would piss her off even more.