I want your Dominion thoughts and impressions!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BigDaddyRelish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

I love Dominion, and play it exclusively. As far as gearing up to be a serious competitor, idk. I've only really ever done that for the fighting game scene as far as video games are concerned, as I'm not as good at this kind of game as I am that.

That being said, there is one thing I would like to see changed for Dominion. While I think casters are actually pretty good, I feel like there are no realistically good choices for a lot of casters to get a larger hp pool and get some general tankiness under their belt. Rod of Ages feels like a poor pick-up since a lot of games will end before you get full effectiveness out of it, and Rylais isn't necessary on a lot of casters. Hextech Sweeper is great, but it isn't a big item.

It makes it so that a lot of casters get to be pretty fragile, and even when I build Zhonya's Hourglass and Abyssal I still feel very vulnerable since my hp is still like, 1500.

If there was a Dominion only option that you could build out of Catalyst that would replace Rod of Ages, that would be sweet.

As far as balance is concerned, I think it's pretty spot on for the most part. Rammus is problematic but not for how he bd's, that build is extremely weak and you should take the Riki train of thought in balancing it (it beats the **** out of weak players but it also teaches them essential parts of the game to make them stronger). The problem with Rammus is his double dipping passive I think, he can dish out a ton of damage while also deflecting an ass-load. He can 1v1 pretty much anybody actually, and it's kinda crazy just how much damage he does for no investment.

Poppy and Jax are problematic for the opposite reason. They are extremely tanky even when building straight glass cannon, their innate survivability is absurd. Poppy's passive/ult makes her **** near untouchable while also dishing out tons of burst, and Jax's dodge, ult, and passive are what make him a monster. I'm honestly fine with them putting out **** tons of burst, but their survivability has to pay a price if they build glass cannon. They don't have the same problem in Dominion as they do in SR, farm is almost a complete non-factor here, so the same techniques that you could employ to keep them down in SR do not apply to Dominion, and it makes them extremely difficult to deal with.

You could also make a case for Yorick.

Another balance idea, is Priscilla's. The item has extremely poor cost efficiency, it gives no valuable stats other than cap speed but nobody but bd'ers buy it because it's so ineffective. I say either reduce the cost, or give it more stats. But really, it doesn't do much for the game right now.

Other than that, I can't complain that much. You guys fixed the spawn timers already which was my other complaint, so that's pretty much the main gist of my criticism. I love Dominion, great work on this game mode!

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

Quote:
-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)
I think its a lot better than people make it out to be, I tried to become serious about LOL before but SR ended to boring to me, and I tried to rank up the ladder last season but after you did the dragon changes and Pantheon and WW nerfs , I felt the game become too passive and I had to quit playing LOL entirely because it was boring.
But Dominion really brought me back. And I think the balance its pretty good.
I think 2/3 of the champs are playable and I see them quite a bit.
There are only a handfull of champs that really feel too much (Imo those are Yorick, Poppy, Shaco, Ryze, Rammus and Urgot). But Rammus is only So good because how well interacts with Revive. Wich btw is broken in dominion and skew the balance badly, a lot of the balance would improve A LOT if revive would go. I feel when in 85 champs, 60 are playable and only 5/6 are kind of too good, It feels very good balance IMO.

Quote:
-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?
Window revive times. I did several threads about how it creates unintuitive situations, where sometimes you have to delay a kill a few seconds to kill someone outside the window time, how sometimes its great to suicide to remove the bounty+do a lot of damage, if you are gonna die in your own window time and how killing one guy is amazing, but killing anyone else the in the window spawn its a lot less rewarding.
Revive existence, unintuitve global vision, are some other annoyances though.

Quote:
-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?
I only play dominion now you can look at most of my friends who only play dominion now.
I can give you the list of them if its of any use. In fact I had moved to HON, and cameback to LoL to check out dominion, and havent looked back since. I really cant Wait for ranked dominion.

FrozenXylaphone

11-07-2011

I almost exclusively play dominion now because of the shorter play time. I think it is great and fun and I can get in more games between me being home and at work. Great job Riot .

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)

I think for the most part dom is balanced. I will admit that ad seems to be a serious presence in dom, but thanks to dodge runes, I easily mitigate that. I have had success with some burst mages though like Annie.
I think some champs might be somewhat troublesome though.
Shaco is the big one I can think of. His ability to setup a cluster of jitb's is pretty annoying combined with his cloaking at the capture point. It is often really hard to take positions away from Shaco once he is sitting on one.
Heimer is like this too except less so in the jungle side. He pushes hard and once he has your capture point, it usually takes your entire team to remove him. I usually find that we should just ignore him and take another point which might cause him to leave that point.
Other than that, I might have said champs like Tryndamere, but thanks to dodge, they can be countered I think. This is actually why some people think Jax is OP in Dom. Jax is not OP in Dom. He is only OP when your team is pretty much all auto-attack heroes like Tryndamere. So as you can see, there is counter play here. Jax can also be bursted down by mages.
I will try out competitive Dominion most definitely.

Personal score. IMO, personal score is so bad it should be removed. The rework made it better, but it is still a crutch to winning. I win more than I lose and I usually come in last place score wise. This makes me confused. I know what to do to win, and yet I see allies doing dumb things and getting first place. Isn't personal score supposed to promote the strategies for victory? It does not. I think the problem lies in that alot of what makes you win cannot really be calculated. For instance, 1st place baddies often cap top and run to bot to get some kills. This is actually bad because the team then loses top to an enemy push or bd and top then becomes really hard to take back because the enemy realizes how important top is compared to your team's supposed "#1" player. I, on the other hand, usually go health pack hunting near top after I cap it and when the enemy tries to steal it, I will pop out and surprise them. This healthy strat is VERY key to success but I imagine would be really hard to code awarding points for. Thus I think the score should just be removed.

Another example of scoring abuse is a #1 can run to a point you are neurtalizing and capping to keep their score at #1 when they would have actually promoted winning the game if they just let you cap that point by yourself and made themselves useful elsewhere. For example, when I am capping a spot with 2 other people, I will often stop capping and check to make sure they don't get interrupted. This powerful healthy strat actually makes me lose points and have a worse score but promotes winning the game.

Lately yes. I am planning on still playing Rift, but I find Dominion to be more productive timewise.

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?

I enjoy dominion so this cannot apply to me.

Rauron

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeigarTheHorrible View Post
The balance is so-so. Most champions can be kind of decent in some situations when played properly, but then we have those guys that are always fantastic and need to be picked quickly. Rammus, Heim, Akali, yeah. It feels really limiting.

Quote:
Imbalance, especially in the first 10-15 minutes.

Quote:
-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?
It feels like just a quick time-waster or a way to vent frustration from a slump or bad game. It doesn't feel significant or particularly satisfying, but is just a snack between real games.

Asmonok

11-07-2011

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion?

The only problem I see is that the increased xp and gold allow certain champions to get out of control. In SR those particular champs were controlled during the lane phase with harassment/zoning/ganks. In dominion there is nothing you can do to stop them from obtaining the particular item set that makes them extremely hard to deal with. The fact that theres only 4 possible bans and 3 or 4 champs concidered "manditory" bans removes any sense of strategy behind your ban choices.

For me personally my biggest pet peeve is honestly just some of the people that play it.
That however is outside of Riots control and once ranked is activated should weed those players out.
I used to have a problem with the respawn timer but its a lot less bothersome then it used to be.

Once Dominion went live Ive stopped playing SR all together. I dont often get a lot of free time between work and family and dominion allows me to play several games instead of just one or two. The pace set on the dominion map also makes me feel like every minute is important and not just the late game.

Suprisingly I (personally) even see less rageaholics in dominion then I did in SR. Its always nice when you have a game with 10 people in it where all 10 have enjoyed themselves rather then pointing fingers and complaining.

Vangarde

11-07-2011

I only been playing Dominion now because its much more fast-paced and the sense of inevitable defeat isn't there. Keeps me playing.

Champion balance overall is in a good spot, just a few special cases due to champion kits.

Jax's passive and the fact that he uses dodge as a mechanic makes him pretty insane. His kit as the best duelist is his special "hook" but maybe we can tone it down just a tad. This is probably nothing the dominion team can really fix, Jax's kit is problematic and may eventually get a rework most likely.

Poppy has insane burst and good survivability for going glass cannon. Unsure otherwise if she needs a tweak, but she is definitely worth a ban.

Everyone else seems pretty much okay. Counters for everything,

Casters need a few items that support movespeed options and overall health. A dominion version of rod of ages would be a start.

Change how warmogs interact. Atm, i think its a little too good seeing how fast it stacks in this gametpye and the way atmas scales.

Morphine

11-07-2011

Quote:
I play casters primarily - supports and mages. Low base health/armor/MR/mobility + heavy cooldown dependency makes dominion very challenging for most of my characters.

It's fun, but I feel like I'm at a bit of an inherent disadvantage that's normally balanced out by the terrain of SR.

Gentleman Oz

11-07-2011

OK, here I go..

Seems that could be a little tweaked for a couple champions, like assassins who really stand out here (despite this being a mode about point capture, not only killing... sigh), but in overall both bruisers and squishy champions from all sorts of roles can fit in with a SOMEWHAT balanced team (you don't require a tank all the time for example, but it definitely helps in SOME cases, others you will rather have speedy champs or more burst-oriented ones, it varies but there is room for everyone). I could also be interested in playing Ranked Dominions in solo queue since it's way more about individual work than depending on a bunch of people to realize what you have seen coming a mile ago and yet, failing horribly (there is no excuse for lack of map awareness here as the map is smaller, faster, lacks jungle creeps for free XP/gold/buffs, don't have wards and the lanes are always revealed... sweet!)

Priscilla's Blessing, really. I'm not against back-cappers nor speedcap builds for champions like Janna, Shaco, Master Yi or Singed... it can work very nice specially against a team with full defense all the time. The problem is that having a backcapper means you will lose all teamfights in 4x5 and this item doesn't help at all when it's time for the speedcaper to go back and defend something with his team. So in my opinion either remove it entirely (backcapping will be based on speed items, not this expensive useless piece of junk) or change it so the cost makes up more for just health regen and faster capture rate (who could also be nerfed a bit).

Yes, me. I prefere Dominion over SR and TT because I think it's more balanced for 99% of the champions, skipping the boring laning phase where you just need to be underfarmed or ganked by the jungler to make the oponents snowball out of control while you struggle to keep it up. Of course, this makes supports rather useless if they don't build something different (AP Soraka, AD or AP Taric, Tank Alistar, Speedcap or AD Janna to name a few) but they can still support well by granting lane and point sustenance (they are just not REALLY needed to make you win in this mode, nor junglers). Plus less ganks since those really aren't the main reason for winning, it's individual positioning and point focus (like it SHOULD BE in this MOBA regarding turrets from day one)

Dunno, ask them, I'm playing Dominion till the server crashes and just going to SR or TT if someone calls me in a premade, since those modes you can't really win if you are the only one knowing what to do, where and when.

Hope it helps you Veigar, keep last-Qing those creeps bro =)

Wonton55

11-07-2011

(From the perspective of a player who played about 30 Dominion games on release, and went back to SR)

Here was the deal-breaker for me:

In the end, it simply seemed to me that while SR was mainly a battle of tactics (Mid and late-game, 90% of fights are decided by positioning. Late-game, a single ace can decide the game, regardless of which team was in the lead prior to that), Dominion seemed to mainly be a battle of strategy. Certain team comps just seemed to be so incredibly strong that the only solution was not to counter them in-game, but to counter them with better bans/picks in your next game. Given that the games were shorter, it still kinda worked (If you don't ban <insert champion here> you only feel like a dumbass for 20 minutes, not 40), but I just didn't like the feeling of looking at the loading screen and ALREADY knowing that the other team had a 70-80% chance of winning the game.

OxBaker

11-07-2011

Probably has been said but although I play Dom almost exclusively these days I can only play draft and if the bans are wrong and the other team ends up with a couple of the "problemed" champs I'll queue dodge as it is pretty well a guaranteed loss if they have a couple and we don't.

And for the record, by problemed champs I mean Akali, Jax, Rammus, Hiemer and Shaco. Any others are manageable but all those have one aspect or another that on this map make them a must ban.