I want your Dominion thoughts and impressions!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Macaroni

11-08-2011

Too many useless UP champs
Some champs kits are just horrible here. Most ranged AD outside of Vayne and Graves get crushed.

Prevalence of cc turns the tides of battle too easily
Get rid of the SR tenacity items and replace with dominion only ones that are more defensive. With global aura buffs, it's much more punishing than SR being hit by a stun for example.

Tanky building
Most people in dominion now pick champs that you only need 1 DPS item with and the rest you can build tanky. Many champions with decent mobility and defensive abilities can kite around their turret point and get double kills regularly (maokai, alistar, blitz, etc)

Jeffro

11-08-2011

I think overall its pretty well balanced. I love draft mode and that's all I play! Please give us some ranked action soon. I only play dominion, I don't play SR or TT anymore.

Ansre

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeigarTheHorrible View Post
-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!
I only play blind pick, and I enjoy it. I may give draft a try, but it's rather cumbersome. I wouldn't mind seeing a mixed mode where you have the draft mode champion select process, but champions are not exclusive; bans may or may not be included.

Quote:
-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?
Dropping target when I lose LOS, only to stand there looking confused. Particularly egregious is one corner southeast of the windmill. It's not as present an issue in SR because of clearer spaces and fewer sharp corners.

Quote:
-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?
I now play dominion exclusively over SR. I'm somewhat amused by this, because like many, I was very turned off by my first few games. After the seven games I played during the preview weekend, I hated it. When it was officially launched, I convinced myself to continue giving it a try, and finally found at least one champ I enjoyed in the format.

From there I've only fallen deeper into it. It's not at all what I expected, which was sustain-oriented node defense. The friend who first turned me onto LoL is totally confused by it after all of two games, and it's a sentiment I totally understand.

Tenant

Friend of Urf

11-08-2011

I really, REALLY enjoy Dominion. You've definitely nailed the constant action and frantic pace down.

The balance on Dominion is very stellar too; I've seen practically the whole cast of champions do well on this map in my 200 or so games I've played. I can't take anyone who thinks this map is unbalanced seriously at all, because it truly is balanced.

The only pet peeve I can think of is that I wish casters had some more itemization options on this mode. Also, minions are actually extremely beneficial to capturing points, but most players don't realize this; perhaps give more incentive/points to captures that had minions help cap it (if it doesn't already do this, anyway).

All in all, I think you guys have something great here, and I hope that any changes you do doesn't upset the balance we have now.

Arrlaari

11-08-2011

I'm pretty sure Jax is still too strong. I play him gunblade/atma/deathcap build. He gets good with gunblade, overpowered with atma, and broken from deathcap onwards. I saw one guy play gunblade/rageblade/2x ninja tabi for the extra dodge (ninja tabi dodge is not unique!) and crush a team which admittedly had 1 mage and 4 auto-attackers. Dodge/counterstrike shuts down anyone who auto-attacks too hard - an enemy Jax forces you to bend your entire comp around him simply to have a chance.
Ninja cap Rammus I think is manageable if you specifically counterpick him (Nunu) but Rammus can play straightforward tank no problem.
I suspect the gunblade nerf brought Akali in line (once someone has a sweeper) but she's still always banned so I don't see her so much.
Heimerdinger is incredible solo bot unless counterpicked (Anivia works for me).

My biggest pet peeve is the staleness of bans & frequency of queue-dodges in normal draft. Rammus/Jax/Akali every time, if enemy team picks one of those someone is sure to dodge or rage at captain for newb bans. Rare to see anyone but Shaco in fourth ban slot. I would also like to see a cheap armor/ad item to match hexdrinker (Summoner's Rift Wriggle's Lantern fills this slot.)

I love not having a protracted laning phase. Bot has all the good elements of lane play, but pushing until ganked is giving an advantage to your team, rather than folly on your part.

Brightmore

11-08-2011

Personally, I play Dominion exclusively now.

Things I enjoy
I like the fast pace, and focus on fighting, I do like that creeping is important(though less so), and you have to do different things to take turrets.

Things I don't enjoy
Champion Balance is kind of shady, Poppy is a monster, and completely dominants a game.
AD weapon selection is better but still dicey particularly with Life steal

Things that I think are mistakes
The Fog of War on Crystal Scar really needs to be looked at it, I have been less then an inch from an enemy champion, and had them blink in and out of the fog as I was chasing them around a pillar. This isn't acceptable.

Danjuro V

11-08-2011

Quote:

-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?
Out of the last 200+ LoL games I've played 1 SR game.

Aerodynamic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2011

I am currently playing dominion exclusively.

Things I like about dominon

-Games are short

-there is always something to do

-fights break out constantly

-comebacks are are common, so less people give up so easily

-It seems that if a few strong champions were to be omitted, almost all the champions become viable.

-The game mode still feels fresh, (but not as fresh as day 1 when there were no meta games)

-Games that are steamrolls are extremely short. This makes the winning team feel awesome for being able to finish in record times, while also makes the losing team happy that they don't have to suffer for another 15 to 30 minutes like in SR.

Things that I don't like about dominion

-It's nearly impossible to win if you are 4v5 and the team with 4 doesn't get compensation to help with the man down

-Certain champs literally break the game. They are not OP, but the change the dynamic so much, that specific counter measure need to be taken that make the game less fun for others. These are generally champions with stealth mechanics, or just overwhelming speed.

-The ques are way too long if you have a good win ratio. I have to wait longer than I play sometimes.

-per win IP boosts are terrible for dominion. I can't have the leisure of getting extra ip intermittently

-Cool downs are not balanced properly on dominion. Champs who have long CD downs that make sense in SR, don't make nearly as much sense in dominion. Champions who have really short cool downs always seem to have an edge (I.E. Akali)

-Champions that are balanced around having very little farm are too strong because they are getting items were never intended to get unless rolling

-The healing reduction has gimped champions that were balanced around healing making them unplayable (mundo, vlad, and AP nidalee)

-Pricilla's in an aweful item that needs to be removed. Back capping with speedy champions is too strong/destructive to an unorganized team.

-there are not enough dominion AP items

-champions with traps/turrets that give vision have an edge in the jungle that can't be countered due to no items to counter it.

CaptainSoda

11-08-2011

Dominion is horribly balanced. Although items were introduced and buffed and nerfed, Riot never considered how champions will actually play out in this game mode.

1. Fiddlesticks is beyond useless. Most of the map is visible so you can see him just about any time, making his ultimate near impossible to land unless he has flash + ghost with him, at which point he wasted 2 summoner spells just to land an ultimate that he wont be able to use more than 10 times maximum in a game....

2. Heroes that need early gold = dominate now. Jax, Master Yi, etc. Hyper carries shine fast and hard and rape very hard.

3. Stealth champions are overpowered. Now instead of being able to buy a ward to light up a place, you have to buy oracles in which case getting ganked by 2 people isn't the most surprising thing unless you stick to the ring, which in most cases will still get you ganked. Stealth champions can move from map to map without being detected, unlike normal champions which the occasional Clairvoyance might actually spot them..

4. It requires to many people to successfully assault a tower. It went from there being a standoff at turrets and a possible win-push scenario 4v5 to now in Dominion where you need it to be 3v1 just to capture a turret. This is most visible against any ranged champion, especially ranged ad carries with a little mobility built in (Vayne's tumble, Tristana's Rocket Jump, etc.)

5. Movement speed is to important. You're gimping yourself if you're not buying Boots + 1/2 items that give +Movement Speed %.

6. The 3 farm stompers (Sion, Veigar, Nasus) have no place here, and generally suffer. AD Sion is OK at best, but is easily shut down.

7. Way to easy to juke. Trying to actually kill someone is useless unless you beat them by roughly 30-40 movement speed. It's almost impossible to catch up to someone since not only you have to click in front of where they are going but if they juke you through a brush you then have to turn around and start going that way. I know lots of people are going to reply to this part saying I'm a slow clicker, well I'm not. I play Cassiopeia pretty **** well and was one of the first people posting that she was good.

8. Tanks feel useless.

9. Champions with longer cooldowns feel useless.

10. Poppy

Fulgr1m

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2011

Like I said in the post on general discussion, for the most part I am very happy with Dominion! I like the fast paced action and tactical challenge it brings with it. The only two problems I have with it are:

1. The quest system between the wm and opposing point, being that I feel it punishes a team for doing well.

2. High mobility champs such as Rammus aren't fun to play against.

But like I said, LOVE Dominion and can't wait for ranked and eventual competitive play to start rolling out!