I want your Dominion thoughts and impressions!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Forty Bass

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

I love dom, the only thing i dis like is that people call drill/ refine mid.

Karathrow

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeigarTheHorrible View Post
Hi guys, we've been talking internally and throwing some ideas around about how we want to tweak Dominion and I just wanted to drop by to get some of your guys' raw feedback on what you'd like to see!

Some things I'd be particularly interested in hearing about would be:

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)
I think the biggest balance issue is that there are certain things or stats that are strong in Dominion and if that champion does not fit that build, it's probably going to perform poorly.

For example

1)Move speed: If your character can't make good use of Triforce, PD, LB, or FoN you are probably going to have problems as almost every other player in the game will be trying to stack move speed in addition to their regular build.

2)Characters who rely on attrition based combat are useless in situations where they are required to fight from full to nothing. Every fight is a fight to the death because unlike SR there is no safety 2 feet behind you. This makes sustain based tanky dps just as powerful here as they are in SR.

Quote:
-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?
This is pretty easy, too many games I've played feel like binary instances of "Did you cap windmill? OK you win." I'm not saying it's impossible to win when you lose the windmill fight at the start, but the majority of games I win the windmill fight I win the game and vice versa. Not only that but it's usually by a landslide.

Additionally incentives are somewhat backwards in that even when you lose windmill, the optimal play is to STILL try to get windmill. Attempting to get the middle or bottom points creates an even more uphill battle because you are venturing into territory CLOSER to where the enemy spawns and further from your own safety, points and fountain. What happens then is that half your team is wasting time scattering trying to cap other points after you lose windmill and then you just lose by like 400 to 0.

HowlingKommando

11-07-2011

- Balance
Balance is fine outside of a couple of edge cases in terms of fighting for Windmill. Biggest super threats are Jax and Rammus. Though they can be countered with certain picks they're very very strong when abused properly.
The super annoying title goes to Shaco.

However, the biggest problem in balance has to be bottom lane, which leads to the next point.

- What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?
Bottom lane importance is too high and too often decides which team wins the game. Most players also generally don't want to be in this lane because you don't get to participate as often in team battles and it's a high responsibility lane. Lose it, and you may cost the game for the whole team.

To make things worst, there really aren't that many viable bottom lane choices. Most of which rely on either gimmicky sustain tactics like Yorick or just plain annoying infinite zoning like Urgot. Both of which are made possible due to early the Tears and the higher Mana regen in Dominion.

Also want to mention that Promote is a terrible spell, as it scales extremely poorly and is next to useless unless against a very weak laner.

- Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?

I've been playing LoL on and off since beta and I do exclusively play Dominion now. It feels fresh, it's more frantic combat oriented with very little down time, and matches are much shorter so it's much easier to get a couple of rounds in. And with all the probability of matchmaking sometimes being decisive on which side wins, it's nice to increase your chances with more games in the same time frame so to speak.

Also nice is that a lot of champions that are so-so in SR are very strong in Dominion and vice versa. Caitlyn for instance is generally not a strong Dominion pick, whereas she's good in SR. Meanwhile, Heimerdinger who is borderline useless in SR is a strong Dominion pick.

brb getting sued

11-07-2011

Quote:
-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)
The game's balance is quite fine (balance is overrated anyway.). A lot of sub-optimal picks still have some uses and strengths but simply require a team that is aware and attempts to take advantage of those strengths.... much like Summoner's Rift.

It remains to be seen if that is how things stay once the game has some serious 5 man premades playing it.

Quote:
I would personally like it if minions moved/pushed faster. It often feels like minions are not able to keep up with the pace (pace as in, not just movement speed but the speed at which they will plow opposing minions and move on) champions want the game to move at, which contributes to how useless they seem.

It's also quite annoying to have minions moving towards the turret and almost ready to move into capture position, and then lose half of them because the enemy wave spawned and those minions decide to stop and attack them instead.

Quote:
-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?
I played one game of SR when the free IP boosts were handed out, but aside from that I have played entirely CS

pewpewsie

11-07-2011

I can give you some feedback as a person who has not played 1 game of SR or TT. I have played Dota and the SC2 mod Sotis, however.

What got me interested in LoL was Dominion. I do not find laning particularly fun and a buddy told me about Dominion. I played it for a couple of days and bought 5,000 RPs so you got money out of me already . I have since played a ton of games. I believe my record is like 225 - 190.

As to your specific questions:

I used to think that Dominion was pretty imbalanced. I believe part of my initial impression was due to the fact that I was completely new to the game and had no idea about hero abilities, etc. Now I believe that is pretty balanced (i.e., Jax doesn't rape me as hard anymore).

My biggest pet peeve is teammates that chases after a half health opponent instead of helping me cap a tower before reinforcements arrived.

As I said, and you can look at my match history I am sure, I have only played Dominion. I have no idea what the other map modes are even like.

Last thing I will say is that I love Dominion and if you change it too much I really wouldn't have a reason to play LoL.

Buru Diman

11-07-2011

I do plan to get into ranked Dominion when its up, but I'm not looking to get to the top of the ladder. I feel if anything Dominion has balance problems is on the power of assassins and weakness of late game carries. Since fights tend to be 1vs1 and some champions were built to duel and some just depend on a team.

Zeal stackers and ninja cappers. Its an ok strategy but it tends to fail if the guy doing it thinks all he needs is speed and capping al the time. Making movespeed unique on some items like Zeal or giving it a cap of some sort would help I guess.

I play it all the time now. Only when my friends want to play SR I would go back there.

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?
My friends didnt liked it mostly cause of the "OP champions". But probably they would not play it too much anyway since they are just too used to SR gamestyle.

QQ China

11-07-2011

Quote:
Hi guys, we've been talking internally and throwing some ideas around about how we want to tweak Dominion and I just wanted to drop by to get some of your guys' raw feedback on what you'd like to see!

Some things I'd be particularly interested in hearing about would be:

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?
-balance
Has it been even two months? 80+ some odd champions, and most games being filled with people who don't understand the game mode. If I didn't think it was too early, I don't think I've (or anyone) had enough quality games to begin to judge the balance.

-peeves
Champs with built in sustain. And stealth. Oh, and personal score. Good luck making that accurate.

-Dominion exclusively
I would if I could get my usual play group to play it. But the mode is very daunting for them, due to its fast paced nature. Which I love. It takes all the thought that you put in to a SR game, and condenses it down to just 20ish minutes. SR has moments of down time where you can go over what just happen and learn from mistakes, during the game. Dominion you always have to be in action, which is harsh for inexperienced players. You kinda have to know what you need to do before you go in. But at the same time Dominion games are much shorter and the lessons to be learned are much clearer.

I also like how you need a continual strategy, from start to finish, and not just an early game strategy that snowballs in to a win 30 mins latter. I'm a big fighting game player you see. In fighting games, you're never at a permanent disadvantage unless your opponent continuously puts you in disadvantage situations (or matchups, but let's not get in to that). You can always get out of holes, In SR, you lose a tower, you lose a tower. That's it. But in Dominion, you're always in the game. Maybe you take some hits to your lifebar, but that doesn't diminish your ability to win. The game isn't over till it's over, and your opponent has to respect that.

Yes, I am one of those StarCraft players that doesn't surrender when all I have is an SCV with only enough minerals to build supply depots. And my opponents absolutely do not respect that, ever.

Purpleskoal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

Quote:

1. I feel the balance is off, there are more must ban champs then there are ban slots, I will give ranked dominion a try.

2. Bot lane

3. I play dominion most of the time now

StunEmpact

11-07-2011

What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)

Good game, must have more balance before competitive play. The fast-paced style of play is a big hit with me. Constant fights everywhere instead of last hitting, farming, jungling.

What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?

like a one guy said Rammus, Shaco, Heimerdinger, Jax are a few to name. Bot lane is a must in dominion so pushing to it can easily hurt your game. I can say a number of things dealing with said champs but anyone who has played dominion know their strengths.

I saw a thread about the item: Priscilla's Blessing. Yea, that probably needs to go.

Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?

pretty much all I play now. I think I played one game of SR and TT since I started. Even with it's problems the game style is pretty luring.

Mr Threepwood

11-07-2011

One of my greatest pet peeves/balance issues is simply with the quest system. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. They are too random and instantly offer one side or the other a decent advantage. Not completing the quest mind you, that SHOULD give one team a decent advantage to make it worthwhile. The quest ACTIVATING almost ALWAYS gives one side an instant advantage. One team is almost always in a better position to cap a point than the other when the quest appears, and it's not always the losing team. It's always annoying to finally have rested control of windmill from the opposing team that have been holding three points for most of the match just to have the quest appear with you attempting to now hold windmill and cap one of their close points.

Even more annoying when you just lost a defender to a 3-4 man rush and the quest appears on the point you're instants away from capping...

This is part of what makes games too random. Coin flip advantages are not good in competitive games.