DoT interaction with capturing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChaoticHypnotic

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
My question is still, logistically, WHY does it have to work this way? The one DoT I can think of that you can apply at a long range is Mordekaiser's ultimate, all others have a shorter range than Area DoTs.

It works this way not because of the range of the DoT, but because of the duration.

Otherwise, Malzahar (for instance) could drop Malefic Visions on somebody and totally prevent them from capping until the DoT ran its full course. That would be waaaaay OP.

With the ground effects you are talking about (not the same as AOE DoTs, btw), all you need to do is step out of them to be able to cap again, so they are easily countered and not OP.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticHypnotic View Post
It works this way not because of the range of the DoT, but because of the duration.

Otherwise, Malzahar (for instance) could drop Malefic Visions on somebody and totally prevent them from capping until the DoT ran its full course. That would be waaaaay OP.

With the ground effects you are talking about (not the same as AOE DoTs, btw), all you need to do is step out of them to be able to cap again, so they are easily countered and not OP.
I didn't say they were OP either.

If you are damaged while trying to cap a point, you cannot try to cap the point for 4 seconds. The two DoTs I know of that lasts longer than 5 seconds are Twitch's Deadly Toxin and, again, Mordekaiser's Children of the Grave. Meanwhile, almost all ground effects last 5 seconds.

Once again. Not seeing how it would be OP to stop them 1 time from capping by using a DoT, they can just try again in 4 seconds.

ChaoticHypnotic

11-07-2011

You CAN currently stop somebody from capping with a single-target DoT like Malefic Visions... if it is applied after the capture began. The retry timer is the same as usual and does not involve the DoT timer.

You CAN currently stop somebody from capping with a ground effect, since the ability is reapplied every tick that they stand on it.

You CANNOT currently stop somebody from capping by casting a single-target DoT like Malefic Visions before they start the capture. Repeated DoT ticks do not stop the capture, as this would be OP.

I never said that you said they were OP. I'm just telling you why things work the way they do.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

Quote:
You CAN currently stop somebody from capping with a single-target DoT like Malefic Visions... if it is applied after the capture began. The retry timer is the same as usual and does not involve the DoT timer.

You CAN currently stop somebody from capping with a ground effect, since the ability is reapplied every tick that you stand on it.

You CANNOT currently stop somebody from capping by casting a single-target DoT like Malefic Visions before they start the capture. Repeated DoT ticks do not stop the capture, as this would be OP.

I never said that you said they were OP. I'm just telling you why things work the way they do.

Long story short: Any damage will stop a capture as long as the ability lands after the capture began, and this includes DoTs.
I GET THE SYSTEMIC REASONS DAMMIT!

MY question is, WHY does it work? LOGICALLY either the AoE shouldn't work, or the DoT should.

I get WHY they work as in why the game does it that way. I don't get WHY as in why Riot hasn't made it more systemically consistent.

ChaoticHypnotic

11-07-2011

I don't know how many more times I can explain it before it sinks in...

Ground Effects ARE NOT DoTs!! You keep calling them DoTs, but they aren't, and that is why you aren't understanding things.

Logically, if you are standing in a Ground Effect, you can simply step off of it, and you have countered the damage that is preventing you from capping. Since they are so easy to counter, they can continually apply damage and stop caps as long as someone is dumb enough to stand on them (and not be OP).

But, logically, if somebody lands a DoT on you, you cannot step off of it. Ignoring QSS, you have to just endure the DoT. DoTs are not easy to counter and cannot be easily removed, which is why only the first tick after a cap has begun will stop the cap (otherwise, they would be OP).

These two mechanics work differently, because they ARE different.

But, the manner in which Ground Effects and DoTs interrupt caps is quite consistent systemically.

Do we see eye-to-eye yet? *crosses fingers*

JustMyBassCannon

11-07-2011

Quote:
I don't know how many more times I can explain it before it sinks in...

Ground Effects ARE NOT DoTs!! You keep calling them DoTs, but they aren't, and that is why you aren't understanding things.

Logcially, if you are standing in a Ground Effect, you can simply step off of it, and you have countered the damage that is preventing you from capping. Since they are so easy to counter, they can continually apply damage and stop caps as long as someone is dumb enough to stand on them (and not be OP).

But, logically, if somebody lands a DoT on you, you cannot step off of it. Ignoring QSS, you have to just endure the DoT. DoTs are not easy to counter and cannot be easily removed, which is why only the first tick after a cap has begun will stop the cap (otherwise, they would be OP).

These two mechanics work differently, because they ARE different.

But, the manner in which Ground Effects and DoTs interrupt caps is quite consistent systemically.

Do we see eye-to-eye yet? *crosses fingers*
I ****ing understand that a ground effect is not the same as a DoT. I understood that BEFORE MAKING THIS **** THREAD! I called it an AoE DoT because before Brand, that was the closest thing to an AoE DoT we had. But I get the fact that it's not a DoT, it's a ground effect. THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

I'm saying, why is it consistent for a ground effect to stop them from capping while it's not for a DoT? Both of them would stop the cap for 4 seconds, then they get to go back to it anyway. All it takes is to misclick while standing on the area effect and OH LOOK you have to wait 4 seconds before you can try again. But DoTs don't do the same thing, all you'd have to do is wait till the last tick of that and it would be effectively about 1 second longer than walking off an area effect. Still doesn't affect a smart player in Dominion, but since that's not how it works a dumbass who got lucky and survived can ignore it.

It doesn't make logical sense. It makes systemic sense completely, but it makes NO LOGICAL SENSE. I don't get how it's balanced for someone to start channeling with 3 seconds left on them from whatever normal DoT and freely cap, while you have to walk all the way around Gangplank's ultimate and waste 6 seconds to try and cap it. Yes, that's a very specific situation. Does that invalidate the point?