Okay, truly, one act that needs to be stopped:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YOU SO BAD

11-07-2011

Do you want to know how to tell if someone is bad or not. its simple look at their Dominion match history. mine for example, i go between 1700-2k every game win or lose. you can check my history. yet i consistently get matched with people who average 600 or 700 every single game they play. Do i make mistakes? hell yeah i do, everyone does. There are some tell tale signs you can look for while the game is going on that are key indicators to weather someone is bad though.

1. do they just sit in lane and farm minions? ( i constantly see people farming 3 or 4 minions when their point is being capt or they are at one that needs capt)
2. lack the ability to focus. ( another major one i see is people running into a fight and attacking all 4 of the enemy's rather then killing 1 in 2 second and moving to the next ect.)
3. tunnel vision. ( we just killed 3 of them and the enemy jax is running off 3 of your teammates go chase him in the jungle for 40 seconds instead of capping a tower or 2 like they should.)
4. does your team pay attention to quest? plain and simple you would be suprised how many players dont even realize there are quests in dom... ask in your next few games it will scare you.

overall people dont understand dominion yet. They dont get that capping a tower is worth more then an ace. I also think in generally most players just want to brawl and beat on each other the capturing of points is just a secondary thing for them. Idk how many games ill end and the person with 700 score will go man i killed 8 people im awesome. its just like hi, i capt 15 towers and killed 6 players and died 8 time you died 22 your terrible. 22x3 thats 66 points of damage you did to our nexus all by your self. i generally report these player for assisting the enemy team cuz thats what they are doing.

the death timer is noticeable but to be honest unless your whole team gets aced its not going to make that big of an impact. the reason it was implemented was so when you ace the whole enemy team you feel like you actually accomplished something and 1 of them isnt back before you even get a point capt.

TlR: people dont understand dominion they just want to brawl like super smash bros. and the timer doesnt come into play unless its a quad kill or an ace

lbgsloan

11-07-2011

The rubber banding WAS a major factor when DOM first came out. An eight second differential in spawn times would eventually give the losing team a chance to come back no matter what. Now that it's four seconds, it's much less of a factor and I'm seeing more large victory margins (ie winning team has over 300 points left at the end) as it should be when one team outclasses the other.

However saying the matchmaker doesn't go on screw-a-thons like in SR is delusional. I have a page of nearly all wins right now, but this time last week it was nearly all losses. My KDA is generally about the same as always, and I defend points instead of running around like and idiot and understand how to play DOM properly so what is more likely; a) I got waaaay better at the game in a week and just don't know it or b) the matchmaker stopping giving me insta-lock Yi's with Clarity for now? Skill only matters so much when you get paired with trolls.

VhakulaKhaulepi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

If you lose eight games in a row, probably not your team...probably. If you lose 1/10, could be.

Detrium

11-07-2011

Why a single player doesn't make as much of a difference:

dominion is extremely forgiving
* Passive XP
* Passive Gold
* Translates into small difference into players resources

No matter how well you do or how badly you do, throughout the game everyone is the same level and gold gain is about the same across the board with some players having 20% more then others.

Lets compare this to SR, the difference between a bad player and a good player can often be 5 lvls and 100% more gold.

Yes a good player will have a significant impact on the outcome of the team, but his actions are not rewarded as much as SR since everything is being diluted from the passive XP and gold gain. The same is true for a bad player, except they are not punished as much for bad plays and don't fall behind.

Shini Laser

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrium View Post

* Passive XP
* Passive Gold

No matter how well you do or how badly you do, throughout the game everyone is the same level and gold gain is about the same across the board with some players having 20% more then others.

Lets compare this to SR, the difference between a bad player and a good player can often be 5 lvls and 100% more gold.

Yes a good player will have a significant impact on the outcome of the team, but his actions are not rewarded as much as SR since everything is being diluted from the passive XP and gold gain. The same is true for a bad player, except they are not punished as much for bad plays and don't fall behind.
One bad player can affect a game quite greatly, though - like say you assume since they are heading in the direction of the Refinery, they must be stopping the backcap, when in reality they are going to the Quarry for no real reason since they aren't helping bot for some reason. However, for those who fall into the "mediocre" level, no, it isn't a problem.

On the other hand, people who constantly blame their teammates for losses must have some form of denial.

@Mallius: Maybe the biggest difference I had in my personal experience when Dominion started is whenever I got ANY chance to recall, I did - I didn't wait to die in order to heal/shop, I did it as often as possible. That is a practice I see still people neglect - honestly, it is better to just recall and give up a point until very late game if you are low on health. That being said, you do recognize the point of my post.

Temporomandibule

11-07-2011

As much as I agree, to be fair, it can be hard for great players to carry in dominion, and often times losing streaks are entirely your teams fault. So there's at least a bit of truth to the statement, sometimes.

I'm on a like, 10 game winning streak right now with the same champion, but not long ago I was on a 10 game losing streak because of hilarious baddies. I've been playing the exact same way the whole time >_>

Detrium

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shini Laser View Post
One bad player can affect a game quite greatly, though - like say you assume since they are heading in the direction of the Refinery, they must be stopping the backcap, when in reality they are going to the Quarry for no real reason since they aren't helping bot for some reason. However, for those who fall into the "mediocre" level, no, it isn't a problem.
A bad player in dominion is more devastating, since everyone gets about the same resources (XP and GOLD). Therefore all those resources are wasted on a bad player, if Dominion rewarded resources for good play then the better players in a team would have a bigger impact on the outcome of the game.

Shini Laser

11-07-2011

Quote:
A bad player in dominion is more devastating, since everyone gets about the same resources (XP and GOLD). Therefore all those resources are wasted on a bad player, if Dominion rewarded resources for good play then the better players in a team would have a bigger impact on the outcome of the game.
Okay, now I reread your original post in a slightly more awake fashion, I get it - you are saying that on the low end of the scale, yes, it still goes to an abyss, but on the higher end of the scale, it is less of a statistical bell curve than what SR shows.

altairian

11-07-2011

Quote:

* Passive XP
* Passive Gold

I totally disagree with all of this. SR is a straight up numbers game: farm more gold than the opposing team, you're almost guaranteed a win. Dominion skill is far less quantifiable. You can go 2-10 and still be one of the best players in the game. It's all about being in the right place at the right time. If individual skill didn't matter then I wouldn't have an almost 60% win rate when I mostly single or duo queue.

Comparing SR to Dominion is comparing apples to oranges. The game types are COMPLETELY different. There are mechanical skills that translate between the two like last hitting (yes it's important in Dom too), map awareness, etc, but the overarching strategy and gameplay is night and day different, and trying to compare the two is just plain stupid.

One could really make the argument that a single player matters far more in Dominion than in SR because winning 4v5 in Dominion is far more difficult than it is in SR. Far more. But I won't make that argument because it's not worth the time =)