Okay, truly, one act that needs to be stopped:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shini Laser

11-06-2011

There are a lot of minor things that annoy me when people start complaining about Dominion. I hear people say that it feels like capping takes forever, turrets don't do enough damage, so-and-so is OP, so-and-so is UP, etc, etc. While the four prior things can actually lead to a civilized discussion with the proper approach, there is one line that I still hear nowadays that makes me check that stupid doesn't exist in my ear.

"I am not losing games because I make mistakes - I am losing games because of my teammates/rubberbanding with respawn times."

Everyone here has had bad teammates, we all know the feeling. But there a difference between losing one game because of bad teammates and losing a large series of games because of "bad teammates". Playing the "never lose due to personal actions" card does kind of piss me off - even if I feel like I am a pretty good player, I know I have made my mistakes in every game and sometimes those mistakes are major. There have been games where I dun goofed and we lost.

But, I feel as blaming the rubberbanding after this recent patch is just making me scratch my head. Personally, I didn't feel the rubberbanding as much as others have before the patch (I still say it was somewhat exaggerated), but now that the comeback mechanic is so fixed to the point it is almost insignificant (yes, a 4 second difference is pretty insignificant), it seems to present a level of arrogance I can't understand. But, even nowadays, I witness people blaming their losses on that 4 second respawn timer difference.

So, there is my rant. Discuss.

MrSmileyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2011

its easier to blame others than yourself, just like in SR they will find a way to blame someone else.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2011

Dota and team games are having a lot of success in part because people do not have infalible proof they suck, since they can blame teammates. Unlike Chess and Tennis.
Thats why Poker is so popular "it was just bad luck, not my bad play".

So dont take that away from bad players. They may stop playing.

Shini Laser

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterD103 View Post
Dota and team games are having a lot of success in part because people do not have infalible proof they suck, since they can blame teammates. Unlike Chess and Tennis.
Thats why Poker is so popular "it was just bad luck, not my bad play".

So dont take that away from bad players. They may stop playing.
Well, being a poker player, sometimes it can be mere bad luck. Sometimes. That being said, when I play at the cash tables, even if I do the minimum $50 buy in, I can find myself leaving the table with up to $200, so skill does have it's appropriate factor.

That being said, yeah, I understand. Though, my favorite variant of chess, Bughouse, is inevitably a team game. I can always tell if my partner is doing something wrong, because when I receive a knight and I see my opponent receive a queen to place down on the table . . . I just go "****".

Alvinheimer

11-06-2011

Agreed OP. I think it has a lot to do with you being able to see others mistakes while not noticing you have made a mistake because it's what you always do. It really is an accomplishment when you can get over yourself, and start viewing your playstyle from an outside perspective.

PS "you" is in general, not you OP. lol

Shini Laser

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinheimer View Post
Agreed OP. I think it has a lot to do with you being able to see others mistakes while not noticing you have made a mistake because it's what you always do. It really is an accomplishment when you can get over yourself, and start viewing your playstyle from an outside perspective.

PS "you" is in general, not you OP. lol
Even if I am a math major, I knew what you meant. :-P Like I said - I believe I am a decent player, but some days, I feel like I am so **** alive that I feel like I can slow down time, and other days I am like, "Okay . . . I was at 3.4k health . . . Where did it go? You know what. **** it. Let's just try to finish this game and then call it a night."

Killfear

11-06-2011

Actually, the score system of Dom kinda substantiates whether someone is doing well or bad. I wish they would implement it on SR and TT as well... If one player has half the score of the 3rd raked player... yeah, he's terribad. if all the team has clsoe the same score, you are in a team matched to your skill, and none of them are "worse" than you.

Shini Laser

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killfear View Post
Actually, the score system of Dom kinda substantiates whether someone is doing well or bad. I wish they would implement it on SR and TT as well... If one player has half the score of the 3rd raked player... yeah, he's terribad. if all the team has clsoe the same score, you are in a team matched to your skill, and none of them are "worse" than you.
This is not entirely true, though. For example, a Zilean who has to chase a backdoor Rammus all day and prevent him from capping **** while the team of 3 at the Windmill is constantly bombarded and the one at bot has an attention span of less than 3 seconds, sure, the Zilean's score is going to be a PoS since his goal will be to just prevent points from being neutralized, but without that Zilean, your team might have lost the game or had a much rougher time due to the fact Rammus would outrun your whole team.

This is speaking from personal experience, mind you. Though, change Rammus to Evelynn, but same premise - had to track her backdooring ass all day and wound up with a personal score of 500 while my team had a personal score of 1000+. Am I a bad player?

Mailius

11-07-2011

The 4 seconds respawn difference is almost 20%, which I do think qualifies as noticeable. That said I agree that it doesn't make sense to blame it, since it's on almost all the time and much smaller than it was before. The actual rubberbanding has decreased very noticeably since the last patch. It's no longer "Oh, the enemy team is at 100 health, suddenly there's a danger of them coming back."

I also agree that a ton of people in this genre will go "mistakes were made, but not by me..." when they lose, even if it's not true.

AstaorthX

11-07-2011

I am a decent dominion player and I can easily point out when I make a game changing mistake.....I played a game as panth and we were coming back and I misjudged where their garen was headed so I went from our bot to their to counter cap cuz I thought he was going to top, turns out he changed direction and we lost the game by 24 because of me and I knew it was....but ill admit I helped us come back by directing the team. There arre quite a few games where I maake big goofs and I can point it out and man up to it.....but since I have more wins than losses on dom id say I make better decisions more frequently than I make big goof ups