Turret Hopping

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NetherGate

Senior Member

11-06-2011

So I suppose its the classic Priscilla's Blessing Strategy. To cap but not to hold, to make them chase you if not getting a cap. Repeat this in rapid succession. So, I have a 3 part question I am presenting for debate. Answer one or all.

1) Is this strategy WIN or FAIL?

2) If it is a winning strategy, how many champs should be dedicated to it on a team?

3) What champs are best for this?

************************************************** *****************************************
The section below this line I recently added, AFTER the first page of responses
************************************************** *****************************************

Well, as I've said elsewhere, this isnt my primary strategy, but when I played it and it worked (mixed results) it often worked very well. I usually got a terrible personal score regaurdless of playing a huge role in victory (again, when it worked).

I never almost never capped many turrets, because I was aggressively going for the turrets, not waiting in the bushes for my oppenents to focus my team mates first. I would get maybe a nuetrailzation at best before one or more of my opponents came charging at me. And with a build with increased movement speed and juking capability I would go straight for a different turret, forcing them to have a dedicated chaser.

* If team doesnt understand agro and they dont pull thier weight, you and your team will get slaughtered. Extremely agro dependant.

So without a ton of minion kills, and without getting kills myself, or even many nuetralizations or caps, my score was terrible. BUT, after about a good solid minute or two of "turret hopping" you are often able to rope in a second opponent to chase you. If your team is doing their job and all 4 of them are pushing their lanes aggressively, you will see top and bot start turning green at this time. Ive seen it a bunch, its worked many times just like that. At the same time, Ive been met with an equal amount of failure using it in other matches. Its very composition dependant on both teams really is the drawback I think. For example shrooms will shut it down completely, dont pick a turret hopper if they have Teemo.

From my experience, these champs are good at it, and why;

Teemo is a pretty good hopper for you to use because he can drop shrooms along the way and multitask, making it very hard for them to chase you threw your well worn, well shroomed path.

LB might be the best one at roping a second champ into chasing you. If her health gets low, and extra opponents come accross your path, its just too tempting for them not to chase you for what seems to be a fast easy kill for them.

Rumble is Awesome. Max his CDR, and hammer is shield/speed boost constantly making him fast and nearly impossible to kill.

Shaco is good, but I know some would argue with me when I say most of the ones I just mentioned are better. He has a natrural escape, (the best one in the game), AND he can leave problem boxes in his wake, but the life span/cd just isnt the best, and the whole strategy is dependent on "on the fly" reaction timing, so you arent able to take the time to set up as seems to work best with Shaco.

GP is ok built as tankplank. He has speed burst, he can break stuns and get out of traps, and heal, not to mention try to turn the tide on top or bot whenever his ult comes up without stopping what he is doing. Hard to kill, hard to stop, but still feels slow compared to others on this list.

Corki MIGHT have potential because of Valkerie, but I havent tried him. Thats ALL he has to offer in this play strategy, but I could see it being very nice.

Singed might be interesting if built for movement speed, self explanitory, lol.

Wukong; well, its very similar to shaco without the boxes, he has that escape which is nice, but no movement speed boost, and no obstacles, and no way to additionally hinder opponents from distance.

Eve and Twitch, well, in some ways, yes, but not for my taste because I WANT the opponents to chase me, because the way this has worked for me isnt to actually take the turrets, but to make it easy for my team mates to get the job done pushing top and bot. Well, those are all of the best champ options and why IMO. One last thing. This definately seems to work better when you are behind on turrets and push your team into the lead again, but thats a pretty important role wouldnt you say?

NOTE; When I played this role, I built for it 100% in every way, champ selection, runes, masteries, items. Zero offense. Mobility, utility, deception, survivability.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silent Hero

Senior Member

11-06-2011

1) It's not a good strategy because there is always a mounted defense at the two bottom points and the windmill. So the only capture point you can really "snag" is enemy mid but you can't hold that point for long because they will always take it back due to the proximity of their spawn. So you aren't really helping your team win in any way even though you might get a ton of captures.

The best strategy to win in dominion is to cap and defend the 3 closest points to your spawn. Thus, Dominion is often decided by whoever holds windmill the longest and manages to at least hold their own in bot.

3) Nidalee and Shaco would be good at it. Anyone with mobility and good escapes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aim1essgun

Senior Member

11-06-2011

Mostly fail. Their undefended points will be mid and maybe bot. If you go for mid, their defenders waiting at the speedshrine between top and mid will destroy you before you even get a neutralization off. If you go for bot, you might get it before you get swarmed by respawns plus the returning botlane.

If the enemy doesn't have defenders operating out of the speedshrines and instead purely camping nodes, then it can have some success. Aka it's good vs less competent players.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryconn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimel View Post
1) It's not a good strategy because there is always a mounted defense at the two bottom points and the windmill. So the only capture point you can really "snag" is enemy mid but you can't hold that point for long because they will always take it back due to the proximity of their spawn. So you aren't really helping your team win in any way even though you might get a ton of captures.

The best strategy to win in dominion is to cap and defend the 3 closest points to your spawn. Thus, Dominion is often decided by whoever holds windmill the longest and manages to at least hold their own in bot.

3) Nidalee and Shaco would be good at it. Anyone with mobility and good escapes.

i agree with most of this but in lower ELO games the enemy mid is usually quite vunerable and u can ninja it every so often just to be a pain.

But your hurting you team due to not helping in team fights and it hurts your item build due to spending about 1400 gold (i dont remeber the exact amout it costs) for an item that gives very little benifit.

but if you really wana do it because your bored or wana troll or whatever some more champs that are decent at doing this are Janna, Rammus, Teemo and Vayne


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silent Hero

Senior Member

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryconn View Post
i agree with most of this but in lower ELO games the enemy mid is usually quite vunerable and u can ninja it every so often just to be a pain.

But your hurting you team due to not helping in team fights and it hurts your item build due to spending about 1400 gold (i dont remeber the exact amout it costs) for an item that gives very little benifit.

but if you really wana do it because your bored or wana troll or whatever some more champs that are decent at doing this are Janna, Rammus, Teemo and Vayne
Yeah you would be a "pain" but you wouldn't be able to hold that point for long. Getting to that point is hard enough since everyone moves through the middle area to pick up the speed relic and its way too easy to be ambushed. Even if you do manage to somehow capture it, getting out alive from there is nearly impossible if anyone on their team is paying any attention. It's a really bad strategy, even in low elo. If you can't hold a point for very long, you shouldn't invest a lot of effort (Aka making all top team fights 3v4 for your team) into taking it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NetherGate

Senior Member

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim1essgun View Post
Mostly fail. Their undefended points will be mid and maybe bot. If you go for mid, their defenders waiting at the speedshrine between top and mid will destroy you before you even get a neutralization off. If you go for bot, you might get it before you get swarmed by respawns plus the returning botlane.

If the enemy doesn't have defenders operating out of the speedshrines and instead purely camping nodes, then it can have some success. Aka it's good vs less competent players.
I honestly have a very different strategy which Im convinced of which is best which involves using agro to force the opponents position. I really have to say though, thatyour second comment about having defenders operating out of a speed shrine, is very compelling, very. Im trying to imagine how my offensive strategy would do against that kind of defense, but there is no true answer, depends on too many factors. Team compositions, skill level, etc.

******* I just wanted to note that turret hopping is a long ways away from my primary strategy, but I have somewhat mixed feelings about it because I've used it with very mixed results. Great success and great failure. I never got many caps because 1 or 2 of them would be chasing me all of the time, but that gets into the issue of agro.*********

You know what? I would like you to review my other thread if possible and give me your opinion on it in general. Its very detailed though a little long winded.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1449639&highlight=personal+score


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-06-2011

The question, as posed, is flawed as it assumes playing either in a vacuum or against a lousy enemy team. You don't have the option of rolling around the map capping and moving on unless the enemy is employing the same thing.

On the off chance you are allowed to do this against an enemy who is not also employing the same strategy, you are either murdering the defenders every time you meet them (in which case, strategy really has nothing to do with winning this particular match) or you are probably recapping their mid while they go to defend windmill and bot or while they are capping your mid or windmill.

Either way, though, no, it isn't viable. You need to defend to win the game. Capping will get you a great personal score, but it won;t win the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NetherGate

Senior Member

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
The question, as posed, is flawed as it assumes playing either in a vacuum or against a lousy enemy team. You don't have the option of rolling around the map capping and moving on unless the enemy is employing the same thing.

On the off chance you are allowed to do this against an enemy who is not also employing the same strategy, you are either murdering the defenders every time you meet them (in which case, strategy really has nothing to do with winning this particular match) or you are probably recapping their mid while they go to defend windmill and bot or while they are capping your mid or windmill.

Either way, though, no, it isn't viable. You need to defend to win the game. Capping will get you a great personal score, but it won;t win the game.

This is part of my thread which is listed above. Read the whole thread and it might make more sense. What I was saying in the posting above was that defenders operating out of speed shrines would be more problematic to the strategy below, but I just dont think they would have much of a chance to sit at a shrine defending, they would be forced through agro elsewhere. I do however believe that defending out of a speed shrine would be vastly superior to a 2-1-2.

"The "get 3 turrets and hold them" strategy, is one that I believed in for a while when Dominion was newer than it is now and I had less experience in it. It is a completely flawed strategy for the most part, although it does have its place, like if there is only 10 seconds or less until you win. The flaw in it outside of those circumstances is that you wont be able to hold 3 turrets against an experience team. There is no way. At best you guard your turrets 2-1-2? So they jump the solo protected turret with 3 champs. Then they have 3 and you have 2. It wont last long this way unless they suck. Now, if you have 3 turrets, but your whole team aggressively attacks their remaining turrets, what happens? ****ed if they do, ****ed if they dont. If they defend their 2 turrets, then your other turrets are safe because they arent being attacked, and their nexus it ticking down all the while. If they let you have the turrets and go for your undefended turrets, well, you gained 2 turrets and lost 1 or 2, and you still have the majority. I dont believe Ive ever seen them scatter and take 3 turrets while your team takes 2, ever. If you can push all the way back and take one of their closest turrets, this IS a good place to defend while your team tries to 5 cap. If you can 5 cap even momentarily, you can defend 2-3 with a 2 turret choke point. This rarely holds for too long, but hit holds significantly longer than 2-1-2 holding 3 turrets, and they get their nexus DRILLED. Even when they fight and get back 2 turrets, you are still drilling their nexus. This strategy is a digression, but it does involve agro, and it is also wrecked by agro dumpers."


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NetherGate

Senior Member

11-07-2011

Its terribly important that all team mates pull their weight in agro whether you are playing a turret hopper or not. If your team doesnt pull their weight, you will get slaughtered, if they do, and you can pull more weight than your own load (2), thats what will win you the game, because your team mates will have a player ratio advantage over the rest of the opponents.