Why does MLG Feel like an Afterthought?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tpazolite

11-05-2011

• Only 4 teams that get to go to the event
  • Announced only 2.5 weeks from the event. This makes it very hard for some teams to organize players and confirm they can even go.
  • Qualifiers 2 weeks before the tournament (starcraft players have been announced for MONTHS)
  • No official casted stream for qualifiers
  • No open bracket at the event (every other MLG game has one)
  • Lowest Live Event Prize pool of any game, even though LoL has more players per team than any other game. In other words, between accommodations and costs, it would be more profitable for many teams to sit at home and stream than to attend a tournament.

Is it just me or does MLG feel like a complete afterthought compared to other games? I really am surprised considering viewership for LoL blows all of the other games completely out of the water.

Want2mess

11-05-2011

This kind of stuff is pretty typical of Riot/E-Sports companies when it comes to LoL tournaments... where have you been for like the last 5 tournaments?

The Stormchaser

11-05-2011

MLG's still upset at lol for last time. Wasn't expecting any major hooplah unless this event runs smoothly.

As for time to prepare, you either have a team that can go or not. Besides, as you can see the predicted 3 are coming to MLG, so why put so much thought into it when the three have stomped all opposition?

If anything, having a team instead of making one on the spot should be required

edit: clg's now in, make that the expected four

Doriantv

11-05-2011

Other than the Crs/Dig matchup, this was hardly a qualifier at all. They may as well just invite the teams.

Frundas

11-05-2011

Most pro players make money streaming not from tourney wins. happens in all esports

Cooldownslol

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentJosé View Post
  • Only 4 teams that get to go to the event
  • Announced only 2.5 weeks from the event. This makes it very hard for some teams to organize players and confirm they can even go.
  • Qualifiers 2 weeks before the tournament (starcraft players have been announced for MONTHS)
  • No official casted stream for qualifiers
  • No open bracket at the event (every other MLG game has one)
  • Lowest Live Event Prize pool of any game, even though LoL has more players per team than any other game. In other words, between accommodations and costs, it would be more profitable for many teams to sit at home and stream than to attend a tournament.

Is it just me or does MLG feel like a complete afterthought compared to other games? I really am surprised considering viewership for LoL blows all of the other games completely out of the water.
SC2 has more viewers than LoL and it's MLG's flagship now that Halo has gone down the toilet.

tpazolite

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldownslol View Post
SC2 has more viewers than LoL and it's MLG's flagship now that Halo has gone down the toilet.
Pretty sure LoL has outnumbered SC2 at every event that both games have been at where Riot's spectator client wasn't taking a ****.

tpazolite

11-05-2011

asdf

tpazolite

11-05-2011

asdf

Baconnaise

11-06-2011

I wouldn't go so far as to say LoL tops SC2 just yet. SC2 /Blizz is a big gorilla and has been doing esports for years. Riot is a newborn babe in comparison imo. LoL puts out solid numbers and I think it's a for sure #2 despite being so new. If Riot gets the act together and keeps client problems and support the necessary features like spec mode paise etc it could top SC2 at some point.