Problems with Shyvana

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2011

Now, I'm not going to say she's OP because she IS new, but I will say that my level 14 friend was able to kill a bunch of level 30s pretty easily with her and I've had some problems of my own against her.

Even if she doesn't build tanky, she has INCREDIBLE damage resistance. Lately I've been playing spell casters (Ryze, Kassadin, etc) and Shyv seems to have extreme magical resistance and if she builds for survivabilty (like a frozen mallet) she's even harder to kill.

Has anyone found a reliable counter to her other than out-ranging her? It seems like she's a GREAT 1v2 player, can go anyone on the map with very little threat, and has quite a bit of utility when she's in a pinch. Besides, with her burnout out-ranging her is somewhat difficult.

The safest way I've been Shyv's brought down are by ranged carries that just auto-attack. This gives them decent range between them and Shyv and if you build correctly, may even go past her resistances. However, I do not play ranged AA carries all that often and would like some advice.

Melvear

11-05-2011

She has no actual gap closer. Burnout is nice but it lasts 3 seconds. Shoot her once if you have mallet, CC her with anything but a silence (slow, root, stun) and all she can do to you is her E, which does pretty miserable damage.

Her only way to deal burst damage is to pull off her e>q combo. Otherwise she has ok sustained damage through burnout and AAs.

As for her survivability, it comes from her ult, which passively gives her 15/20/25 armor and MR, doubled if she activates her ult. It's very nice to have, but given her fairly low damage output (split scaling ftl), if you have some amount of sustain (spell vamp or lifesteal), you can probably just stick to her and kill her.

I enjoy playing her, she's fairly fun, but her split scaling is really hurting her imo. That, and her lack of CC, which pretty much forces you to get mallet.

coffeerox

11-06-2011

Quote:
but her split scaling is really hurting her imo.
Not really. Her 'star of the show' is her Q, which procs on hit effects. She is a MONSTER at proc'ing on hit effects. Coupled with passive that returns it by attacking (and attacking more = attack speed) she will proc on hit effects all the time.

She has bad ratios on her E and R, yes, but she does not need the damage from those. She get's plenty of damage from on-hit effects. It comes down to which on-hit effect is appropriate.

Madred's/Kitae's = vs. tanky DPS, tanks or HP stackers (best all around item for her)
Trinity Force = vs. squishies
Wit's End = anti-caster
Black Cleaver = armor stackers
Tiamat = for teamfight's and farming, best used w/ Trinity Force
Frozen Mallet = core item

Most of the time, I just focus on getting Madred's and then go for a Frozen Mallet and finish it with a Atma's to get the AD that scales with her Q and W. E is fine by itself, giving -15% Armor and her R is become tanky and deal lots of AOE damage from Q and W. Notice again that Q and W are integral to her damage and those both scale with AD.

If you need to go tankier, get a Sunfire for it's magic damage and then combo it with a Wit's End for more magic damage and magic resist.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2011

Neither of these post answer how to counter Shyvana adequately at all. And there are only two of them with over a day to respond. No one has any idea?

Galgus

11-06-2011

She's fairly easy to deal with compared to Udyr, in my experience. Less constant movement buffs, no low-cool-down CC, and less ability to disengage safely.

I haven't particularly had problems with her: if she builds tanky enough that I can't just nuke her down instantly with a mage, I CC her and keep moving out of her range when I can: she isn't that hard to kite with some proper crowd control.

Basically, to fight her as a ranged champion you should take advantage of her weak gap closing aside the ultimate- if she ults, stun her and try to get away, she isn't the greatest at clinging to targets.

(Which is probably why Frozen Mallet is a big item on her.)

Try to avoid letting her get in your face- far easier to do against her than, say, Jax, Akali, Xin Zhoa, Irelia, ect.

Maidoari

11-06-2011

Shyvana is a melee with bad gap closers and short range AoE like Garen. For Ryze, your frozen heart screws the attack speed and you have a short cooldown root to keep kiting while you spam a million spells. Kassadin's blink is on too short a cooldown to ever die AND a slow on top. Those are two champs that shouldn't have problems with Shyvana. It's melee vs ranged so it's a kiting game. Shyvana's resists and building health makes it take longer than normal, but it's also much easier to avoid her damage than melee who can jump in.