Why are people banning Kog'maw?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Necks

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobocop View Post
Because he's obnoxious.

When you can go virtually full tank and still deal obscene damage like he does, people just don't want to deal with it.

That and people don't know how to bait out his W and then fight him while it's down and he's much weaker.
How do you build full tank and still do damage? Kog'maw needs attack speed to do anything with his W. If you build attack speed early on, you're not building tanky. Therefore, Kog'maw gets squashed early on.

With the changes to snowballing on Dominion, early game matters a lot more now. Getting squashed early game as Kog'maw can actually make a long-standing impact for the rest of the match.

Again, Kog'maw has his perks but he is hardly a ban-worthy champion on Dominion, imo.

Squidget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necks View Post
LOL.

Really though, I don't see a good reason to actually ban Kog'maw. He has his perks but he's not problematic to the point where I think "I MUST ban this champion!"
Don't know if you're trolling or not (didn't you make Urgot sucks threads a few days back? ) but on-hit Kog is one of the scarier top-lane damagers right now. You give him some peel and he shreds their whole team instantly while being able to build fairly tanky.

I agree that he can't 1v1 a lot of tanky DPS, but he doesn't need to. Blitz and Ali will keep the tanky DPS away until they're dead.

Edit: Usual build is the On-Hit build. Some combination of Wit's/Malady/Lightbringer/Bloodrazor (depending on the enemy team) with a Frozen Mallet as the second item and possibly a late-game Atmas. You're tanky enough not to die to most burst combos while still getting enough attack speed to shred people.

Necks

11-06-2011

If your first item is a Malady, Bloodrazor, etc, Kog'maw would have no tankiness for at least 10 minutes into the match. He would be as squishy as he looks.

With the recent changes to Dominion's snowballing mechanics, that gamble may not be worth it. Kog'maw gets stomped on by so many champions before level 16 that it's really just not worth banning Kog'maw.

It is simple to counter-pick a Kog'maw, and overall better for your team to use the ban for a different champion.

RealWolf M

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2011

Kog has a decent slow, and long range, by working wiht a team he can easily kite anyone. If you want to jump a kog, you MUST go through his team first. This leads to the squishiness early not being a problem, because when there is a alistar pushing you away from him every time you try, and then finally alistar is out of the way, but oh, kog put down the slow so you have to walk through it, but you can't move. Oh, thats right, your dead now

Necks

11-20-2011

"Hi I'm Kog'maw. I have an awesome auto attack range and I'ma melt your fa- "

"Hi I'm Poppy. You have just been shat on."

WaterD103

11-20-2011

Necks, I dont say this in a bad way but i saw your style. All Im gonna say that the fact that a champ doesnt fit your style of hit and run the entire game, doesnt mean its not really good. Kog maw is more of a teamplayer, and need some support.

Having said that ,I dont see why ban kog over vayne...maybe cause he is more popular pick?

Stimuz

11-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterD103 View Post
Necks, I dont say this in a bad way but i saw your style. All Im gonna say that the fact that a champ doesnt fit your style of hit and run the entire game, doesnt mean its not really good. Kog maw is more of a teamplayer, and need some support.

Having said that ,I dont see why ban kog over vayne...maybe cause he is more popular pick?
Well, that and an on hit kog build is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than an AD vayne build so he becomes pretty ridiculous like 5-8 minutes earlier.

Roger Barbossa

11-20-2011

coz of kog's range, kog would be nothing without his range

FDru

11-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necks View Post
"Hi I'm Kog'maw. I have an awesome auto attack range and I'ma melt your fa- "

"Hi I'm Poppy. You have just been shat on."
Dude I can kite Poppy with Twitch if I have a mallet. Kog should have no problem at all.

I know he's squishy as hell but he really does have the luxury of that huge range.

Necks

11-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
Dude I can kite Poppy with Twitch if I have a mallet. Kog should have no problem at all.

I know he's squishy as hell but he really does have the luxury of that huge range.

That must have been the worst Poppy in the world? Like, the worst in all existence of the universe?

Kog'maw needs bodyguards like Blitzcrank, Fiddlesticks, etc, around him at all times in order to accomplish anything. No matter what items you get on Kog'maw - no matter how "tanky" you build, Kog'maw cannot do anything alone versus aggressive opponents.

And let's say your team does have awesome bodyguards like Blitzcrank, Fiddlesticks, Ryze, Kassadin. Then you have to ask yourself: Is it really Kog'maw that's winning the game for your team? Or perhaps it's the other champions that are actually doing something useful?

When you have broken picks like those, Kog'maw's position can be substituted by any other ranged AD and they'll do just as well. Put an AD Janna in place of him and she'll probably melt faces just as hard with a team comp like that.