Couple of questions about Katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cenerae

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post
People are slow on the uptake with this one. Gunblade is officially a n00bie trap on Kat because Rylai's is core for her, and you are ultimately paying a TON for only 20 AD, some Lifesteal you'll use very little (I used to like the early Vamp during laning while building up the Gunblade, but I don't -miss- it, per se), on a champ where you ultimately want a Deathcap anyway.
I like how everyone talks about Gunblade as if it didn't have a 300 damage nuke attached to it.

Rylai's honestly isn't that great on Kat. Sure it makes you tankier, but it doesn't do much for your damage for what you pay, and you don't really get much out of the slow (at least, if you're timing your ult properly).

Gunblade, if you can get it early, gives you an extra nuke to toss at your victim, which makes it much more likely that you'll be able to kill them. It also gives you spell vamp, and a large amount of damage increase to your ultimate.

I'd take it over a Rylai anyday. Especially when you consider her ultimate is treated as a single target spell as far as vamp is concerned, meaning a decent ult should be far better for her EHP.

Kayla8590

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post
People are slow on the uptake with this one. Gunblade is officially a n00bie trap on Kat because Rylai's is core for her, and you are ultimately paying a TON for only 20 AD, some Lifesteal you'll use very little (I used to like the early Vamp during laning while building up the Gunblade, but I don't -miss- it, per se), on a champ where you ultimately want a Deathcap anyway.

Depending on how the match is going, sometimes now after completing the WotA (look, now you provide a team aura! support Kat FTW!), I'll grab another Revolver, cause.... well, SpellVamp is very powerful on Kitteh.

But I prefer to go:

Revolver
Sorc Shoes
WotA
Rylai's

After that, it's situational. Deathcap is the hope, but if they are stunning/bursting you down, you may have to grab Abyssal next. Yesterday in a Dominion, I actually semi-rushed an Hourglass cause they had Irelia and Riven who would not stop jumping on my face to stun and smash me. Oddly, I almost never worry about Physical damage though. Probably because most AD champs don't have interrupts for Lotus, and are either really squishy (Ranged), or have to be right next to you anyways (Melee).

The other day there was a matchup so bad, I knew I was unlikely to ever get a Deathcap, so staying pure AP didn't look worth it, I ended up getting a very early Hexdrinker. Hard to say if it did better than spending that money on a Negatron and a Blasting rod on the way to Abyssal, but since I ended up with both, that seems a moot point. I did well.

Sounds great. I've been rushing into my rabadons and I feel like I am starving myself out of the other items. Maybe I should make that more of a late game item after rylais. Thanks so much!

Ebonclaw

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
I like how everyone talks about Gunblade as if it didn't have a 300 damage nuke attached to it.

Rylai's honestly isn't that great on Kat. Sure it makes you tankier, but it doesn't do much for your damage for what you pay, and you don't really get much out of the slow (at least, if you're timing your ult properly).

Gunblade, if you can get it early, gives you an extra nuke to toss at your victim, which makes it much more likely that you'll be able to kill them. It also gives you spell vamp, and a large amount of damage increase to your ultimate.

I'd take it over a Rylai anyday. Especially when you consider her ultimate is treated as a single target spell as far as vamp is concerned, meaning a decent ult should be far better for her EHP.

Because it's an extra 300 damage nuke on a 60s CD that won't refresh from your Passive, and the opportunity cost of going for Gunblade rather than WotA is officially now too much.

Rylai's provides fantastic utility. The extra HP is often the difference between eating a stun and dying, or eating a stun and still getting your Lotus off, SpellVamping your way to awesome. You WILL get the full slow on one target anyway (how are you timing Lotus 'properly', that doesn't involve a Shunpo onto your primary target?), and you will slow everyone hit by your BB, and everyone in Lotus radius. Sure, not a lot, but it's happening.

You can lob a BB at a line of minions that a runner is at the end of, tagging them with a brief slow that gives you the chance to get to Shunpo range and finish them off. So now after your HP helped you survive the team fight, the Rylai's is also helping you take out the stragglers (Gunblade active will already be on CD, and if for some reason you didn't use it, the range is SMALL).

During a 5v5 engagement though, one would assume that your team is dropping hard CC on the prime target(s) anyway, to set you up to melt them. You don't need to use your Gunblade on that Annie, because she just ate a Gaze from Sion, and is now being focused by a few other people - while you are doing your Death Lotus right next to her.

Gunblade used to be a fantastic purchase for Kat because it gave you your Spellvamp, some Lifesteal and AD to help you farm minion waves, AND a very potent amount of damage added to BB and Lotus from your amazing scaling. They chopped a -ton- of the damage off now, it's simply not worth it because you're paying all that coin for a mediocre amount of AD, and setting your Deathcap back by another 1300g compared to WotA, for overpriced stats that won't even by compounded by your top tier item.