Couple of questions about Katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kayla8590

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2011

Hey there! So I am relativly new to the game and to the champion Katarina. So please forgive any..ah.."noob" questions ahead of time haha. Right now here is my current build.

I start out with Boots and 3 health pots
Then, I grab a Hextech revolver and usually upgrade my boots to the magic pen ones and maybe grab a cpl more health pots.

Then I rush my Rylais and Rabadons
Finish up my Gunblade.

Now here is where I am a little lost. In a optimal game where I am able to fully build 6 items I am not sure about the final one. I picked up a Malady because of my magic damage and the stats that come with it. Then I saw Lich Bane..and Void staff. Lol so really what would be the optimal 6th? Those three or something like a sunfire cape or Banshee veil or randuins omen? Oh I am so confused!! There are just too many choices haha.

After all that if you are still reading I have only one other question, how much magic pen can one stack before the stat becomes useless. Is it 40% like cd reduction? Also if I use the talent Archaic Knowledge does that mean I only need an additional 25% magic pen if 40% is the cap? I just want to make sure so I can max stats. =)

Thank you ahead of time for any help. Totally appreciate it!!

Lord Ryushishin

11-05-2011

No expert on Kat but I wouldn't really use Malady on her. Its better for a Ranged/Melee DPS, which isnt really her playstyle. Abyssal Scepter and the Zyhora Hourglass are good choices for more damage output as well as Defensive abilities depending on enemy composition.

As for your last question, Magic Pen and Reduction is uncapped. Magic Pen is only as good as the person with the higest MR on the enemy team. Reduction on the other hand has unlimited potential as it can have their MR treated as a negative number but the chances if that are slim.

deepbluereason

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korenah View Post
Hey there! So I am relativly new to the game and to the champion Katarina. So please forgive any..ah.."noob" questions ahead of time haha. Right now here is my current build.

I start out with Boots and 3 health pots
Then, I grab a Hextech revolver and usually upgrade my boots to the magic pen ones and maybe grab a cpl more health pots.

Then I rush my Rylais and Rabadons
Finish up my Gunblade.

Now here is where I am a little lost. In a optimal game where I am able to fully build 6 items I am not sure about the final one. I picked up a Malady because of my magic damage and the stats that come with it. Then I saw Lich Bane..and Void staff. Lol so really what would be the optimal 6th? Those three or something like a sunfire cape or Banshee veil or randuins omen? Oh I am so confused!! There are just too many choices haha.

After all that if you are still reading I have only one other question, how much magic pen can one stack before the stat becomes useless. Is it 40% like cd reduction? Also if I use the talent Archaic Knowledge does that mean I only need an additional 25% magic pen if 40% is the cap? I just want to make sure so I can max stats. =)

Thank you ahead of time for any help. Totally appreciate it!!
There's no cap on %magic pen. You should finish your gunblade first then go deathcap then void staff. Rylai's is not needed since you have the active on gunblade. Gunblade + deathcap + void staff is all you'll be able to build in most games because of the cost. If the game goes long enough to build more you simply consider your situation. If you have no problem surviving you go Lichbane most likely or maybe Will of the Ancients if nobody on your team has built one. If you're having trouble surviving you go Banshee's Veil or Guardian Angel. You can also go Abyssal Scepter or Hourglass if you don't think you need much survivability.

Kayla8590

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2011

Thank you two so much for the info!! @Deep that sounds great. I think I will try rushing those three first and see how it pans out. I usually go for my Rylai's because well..I just love frozen mallet and well..you get the point!! Lol. It is absolutely so handy. But I totally see your logic with my gunblade active. Now if my newb self can just remember to USE IT! hehe. Anyways ty so much again y'all!!

RavenGage

11-05-2011

Magic pen is useless when you have more penetration than the enemy has resistance to be penetrated. If your opponents have little MR then there's little point in building Void Staff at all. As for what to build in the extreme late game, that's situational. Take a look at what your team has/needs and what the opponents are stacking and decide based on that. I wouldn't build a Malady at all, Rylai's and Deathcap are always good choices on Kat imo. For your other 3 slots there is:

Gunblade - obviously good, but with the slow from Rylai's you can choose to turn your revolver into a Will of Ancients instead. Usually I do this if the aura from Will can benefit 1-2 members of my team, if it's just you then probably stick to good old Gunblade.

Bashee's Veil - all around solid anti magic item, even if it has no offensive options it's not uncommon to see any champ get this in late late game.

Quicksilver Sash - same as above, but cheaper. This is usually my go to item if I'm getting raped by magic damage or CCs, after all you can't DPS if you're dead so take the time to build it if you need it.

Abyssal Scepter - More magic resist for times when you need it but you also want some offense mixed in, it gives a balance of MR and AP, not to mention a "shared' Mpen meaning it's quite nice if multiple members of your team use magic damage and one of you has this.

Zonya's Hourglass - If you're in need of armor or an "oh ****" button this does the trick. I rarely use it on Kat though, but I suppose it's worth mentioning.

Void Staff - Must have if your enemies have over 100MR

Lich Bane - tiny bit of MR and otherwise pure offensive power. If your play style can make use of the boosted auto attacks then why not, go for it. The move speed is nice too but it really is an expansive item so only get it if you know you'll make use of it.

Deathfire Grasp - burst on a silver platter, pure offense

Second Deathcap - *shrug* if you want pure AP on top of more AP with some AP on the side, 140 is still a lot even if the +30% doesn't stack

Kayla8590

11-05-2011

@Raven oh that's actually brilliant as well. I am HORRIBLE at remembering to use actives on items which is one of the reasons I love Rylai's so much. And turning my gunblade to WoA is perfect which Deep also recommended getting later in game. Zonya's Hourglass is an amazing item in..theory. But not so much for me with my readily admitted lack of clicking active abilitys haha. I really think that would be my best bet is the:

Boots
Revolver
Rylai's
Rabadon
Will of Ancients.

Does this sound reasonable?

Also Banshee's Veil is FABULOUS since I don't have to remember to click it!! hehe On that note though, when facing a fiddle does it absorb his fear or just things like his ult and life drain?

Lord Ryushishin

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korenah View Post
But not so much for me with my readily admitted lack of clicking active abilitys haha.

Also Banshee's Veil is FABULOUS since I don't have to remember to click it!! hehe On that note though, when facing a fiddle does it absorb his fear or just things like his ult and life drain?
You know you dont need to click. 1-6 by default is the Hotkeys for activatin Abilities in the corresponding item slots (1 to 6 countig from left to right, top to bottom). So if it is Item Slot 4, hit 4 to use it.

Also, believe it should stop both of those. Someone correct me if I ak wrong.

Kayla8590

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Barbaros View Post
You know you dont need to click. 1-6 by default is the Hotkeys for activatin Abilities in the corresponding item slots (1 to 6 countig from left to right, top to bottom). So if it is Item Slot 4, hit 4 to use it.

Also, believe it should stop both of those. Someone correct me if I ak wrong.

Yeppers I know. I tend to say one thing and mean another. My husband always gets on me for that haha. And I guess thats good but bad too..yay for fear block but that life drain really stinks too!

TiensiNoAkuma

11-05-2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOncmXraYkk

Enjoy.

BTW I changed my build, can find it in the other videos I posted.

Ebonclaw

11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
Gunblade - obviously good, but with the slow from Rylai's you can choose to turn your revolver into a Will of Ancients instead. Usually I do this if the aura from Will can benefit 1-2 members of my team, if it's just you then probably stick to good old Gunblade.
People are slow on the uptake with this one. Gunblade is officially a n00bie trap on Kat because Rylai's is core for her, and you are ultimately paying a TON for only 20 AD, some Lifesteal you'll use very little (I used to like the early Vamp during laning while building up the Gunblade, but I don't -miss- it, per se), on a champ where you ultimately want a Deathcap anyway.

Depending on how the match is going, sometimes now after completing the WotA (look, now you provide a team aura! support Kat FTW!), I'll grab another Revolver, cause.... well, SpellVamp is very powerful on Kitteh.

But I prefer to go:

Revolver
Sorc Shoes
WotA
Rylai's

After that, it's situational. Deathcap is the hope, but if they are stunning/bursting you down, you may have to grab Abyssal next. Yesterday in a Dominion, I actually semi-rushed an Hourglass cause they had Irelia and Riven who would not stop jumping on my face to stun and smash me. Oddly, I almost never worry about Physical damage though. Probably because most AD champs don't have interrupts for Lotus, and are either really squishy (Ranged), or have to be right next to you anyways (Melee).

The other day there was a matchup so bad, I knew I was unlikely to ever get a Deathcap, so staying pure AP didn't look worth it, I ended up getting a very early Hexdrinker. Hard to say if it did better than spending that money on a Negatron and a Blasting rod on the way to Abyssal, but since I ended up with both, that seems a moot point. I did well.