Support or not support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scotty764

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2011

So my roommate and I are arguing whether or not a bot lane should have a support or not. I say that a team needs a support but he believes that bot lane should have more power instead of a "useless" support that doesn't do much damage. He also believes that supports can be replaced because cv and wards can be given to a more offensive champion that can pack more damage on a bot lane. What is your opinion? A traditional ad range/support or ad range/damage champion(no support)?
Thanks for your opinion ^_^

iRaikov

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2011

It depends on the support. If it's someone like Janna who is useful throughout the whole game, then a support is great to have. It lets your ad carry get incredibly farmed up and just wreck when it comes to late game.

But it all really depends on the players, if your ad carry can't farm for ****, then maybe you'de be better off without a support.

Haemonculus

11-05-2011

My opinion? Your roomate's crazy if he's calling a support useless. During early game, there is no true need to start any conflict, as the main goal early game is to farm one's little ass off. The support allows the AD Carry to farm to his/her heart's content while also healing any damage he/she has taken or shielding him/her from oncoming damage. They may not be getting as much EXP as a mid or solo top lane may be, but they're getting just as much gold. And, oddly enough, this lack of farm doesn't usually hurt the Support's viability in anyway or form late game. As long as they start racking up those assists, they'll be fine. Some supports also provide nice harassment early game, which also helps when denying gold and keeps the AD Carry from getting killed.

Are supports useless because they do no damage? No, they're far from useless, and early game most supports can deal a lot of damage. Just ask Zilean or Taric, or hell... even Soraka with her spammable Q and silence. Not only can they prevent the other team from getting gold, they can sufficiently protect the AD Carry.

You've seen damage dealers down bot before, I know you have because everyone has. You know how hard it is to farm gold when you're competing for minion kills and you know how much it hurts when you decide to give it all to your other teammate, which is stupid. The only thing you can do better is harass the other team, but since you don't have sustainability anymore, they can harass you back and possibly kill you. I'm not saying it's stupid to have an Damage/Damage down bot, because I've done that and owned the rest of the game.

As for CV on an offensive champion... that's useless, as they can benefit the team better by picking a summoner spell better suited to that specific Champion. There's a reason why Soraka doesn't go around Summoner's Rift carrying ignite--I have seen an AP Soraka carry one, and she did own... sadly for my team. By grabbing CV on, say... MF, who has no escape abilities whatsoever, is definitely hurting her badly. What are you gonna do when you've used Flash to close in on a champ and suddenly get ganked? You're definitely not going to CV the ganker to death, that's for sure.