Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Synchronization!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LigerZeroXX

11-03-2011

Hey,riot just a few questions here regarding game client interactions!!

What im trying to get here is an awser to whether or not i can synch my normal client with my PBE one, similar to NA and EU, here are my reasons for Asking

1) I have very specific Mastery Pages, and it is difficult for me to remember the exact order i want my masteries in when putting points in my PBE Client to be the same as my normal one.

2) its confusing to have to use multiple clients.

3) Im interested in programing and was wondering if it was possible at all, also to see if rioters could do it if they felt up to it,

Thanks, if you want to message me in PBE my Summoner Name is Ray Gregg.

P.S when will pbe be back up as im having trouble getting into it right now

Elo Tartarus

Recruiter

11-03-2011

Quote:
LigerZeroXX:

What im trying to get here is an awser to whether or not i can synch my normal client with my PBE one, similar to NA and EU, here are my reasons for Asking

1) I have very specific Mastery Pages, and it is difficult for me to remember the exact order i want my masteries in when putting points in my PBE Client to be the same as my normal one.

3) Im interested in programing and was wondering if it was possible at all, also to see if rioters could do it if they felt up to it,

Might want to at the very least spell check. Also I am not sure if there is any way to do what you are asking. But my educated guess is no because what you are asking is very easy to do by yourself. Sorry if I could not be of more help.

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

11-03-2011

Quote:
LigerZeroXX:

I'll take a whack at this, actually...

I'll start with this - I believe setting your region is a little different than setting up an entire server. When you select your region, it swaps over what region your connected to, meaning you will need a whole different account in the first place, and you would be interacting with entirely different people on that server. If you swap to the PBE, that is entirely different game files. For example, Live does not have Spectator, PBE client does, that could be some hefty time downloading the differences between the game client - but not just the game client, the different accounts on the game client, and so on so forth - it starts to add up. Remember when you first downloaded the PBE client? Took a little while, didn't it? Imagine doing that every time you wanted to swap between PBE and Live clients.

Here's the problem - if Riot was to attempt to add PBE into just another category to select, such as EU and NA and etc - there are some key problems. The first and biggest is that what is released to us on the PBE is entirely different from what is released to the everyone playing Live. What this means is that it's not just two different geographical regions but they're playing the same game. See where I'm going with this? The PBE isn't the same game - it has many extra and very different features.

For Example: Because the base game is different, it is easier to launch a separate launcher and update your separate game. If it was the same launcher, imagine having to download a certain amount of MB or GB each time you swapped between PBE and the normal game. You switch to NA - you have to download the actual live client, could take you 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how many differences there are. Okay, now you're feeling like playing the PBE - so you click to swap to that, now it has to change your Live game files back to the game files of the PBE, may, again, take a very long time to update all the changes.

In regards to your points -

1) I understand it can be irritating trying to copy over all of your masteries. However, there isn't really a way to completely copy over your masteries to another server except to re-do them anyways. Even if we could swap our stuff over, or swap it as we can do with NA / EU servers and so on - it still would be an entirely different server where you don't even have the same champions - and thus may not even want the same mastery pages.

2) I personally believe it's easy to tell the difference between the two clients. One says "League of Legends" the other is a folder, or an icon, that reads "lol.launcher". Launcher is PBE, League of Legends is the normal client.

3) They might be able to do it, but as I have detailed above, it would be a lot of wasted effort and time to install or add something that only ends up wasting the users time - if anything, so I don't believe it's something they'd want to do.

Final Example: Let's see... AoS MOBA (Made it up, but fun fact, DotA was made inspired by AoS in the old WC3 days) uses a launcher to update its game files and make sure it can apply its unique patches appropriately. League of Legends MOBA uses a different launcher to update its own unique files, maps, and champions. They are different games. So their launchers need to update different files and add different champions and different game modes and maps.

The situation has a few similarities with PBE and Live client. While they are really the same game - PBE has many different added files that are necessary for it to be a testing environment. For example; Spectator mode is on the PBE and not on the Live client. Another example; my champions on the PBE aren't the same as my champions on the Live client, so I use different runes and masteries. These differences mean that two launchers really is the fastest and most efficient way to co-ordinate the differences between the two different servers.

I hope I'm making sense - but it is just easier, and less time consuming to have two different launchers for each specific setting.

TL;DR - PBE and Live are very different. It's not simply swapping between regions and languages and etc - it's fully changing some game files depending on what is currently being tested - not to mention the champions you own in PBE may not be the same ones as Live, and thus you may want different masteries. This means if it was the same launcher, it'd update the same game, and every time you'd swap to PBE you'd have to re-download the PBE files. Now feeling like playing Live? You swap, and it'd take a long time (30 minutes as a guess?) to download the appropriate Live files instead. Each swap would take time for your computer to change your game files to the appropriate set up for what you're swapping to. Not to mention that the different launchers help with downloading the different things necessary for play in that environment.

Hope all of this information helps!

PRPatxi

11-04-2011

The PBE and Normal servers are 2 different things. This is to test new content that will be added to the Normal server after it has been tested and the bugs found are fixed. Since the server is for testing and not competitive they need you to start from 0 and make masteries, buy runes and complete your runebook, buy champs, all of that must be tested from 0. If they just copied your old account to the new server You are not testing it you are just transferring your old account stats, champs, runes etc. You are just doing it for competitive play, there for you are not doing what you are supposed to do. You where invited to test everything from 0 not to compete in a server w/ new people.

Hoofster

11-04-2011

Quote:
WerewolfTrey:
I'll take a whack at this, actually...

I'll start with this - I believe setting your region is a little different than setting up an entire server. When you select your region, it swaps over what region your connected to, meaning you will need a whole different account in the first place, and you would be interacting with entirely different people on that server. If you swap to the PBE, that is entirely different game files. For example, Live does not have Spectator, PBE client does, that could be some hefty time downloading the differences between the game client - but not just the game client, the different accounts on the game client, and so on so forth - it starts to add up. Remember when you first downloaded the PBE client? Took a little while, didn't it? Imagine doing that every time you wanted to swap between PBE and Live clients.

Here's the problem - if Riot was to attempt to add PBE into just another category to select, such as EU and NA and etc - there are some key problems. The first and biggest is that what is released to us on the PBE is entirely different from what is released to the everyone playing Live. What this means is that it's not just two different geographical regions but they're playing the same game. See where I'm going with this? The PBE isn't the same game - it has many extra and very different features.

For Example: Because the base game is different, it is easier to launch a separate launcher and update your separate game. If it was the same launcher, imagine having to download a certain amount of MB or GB each time you swapped between PBE and the normal game. You switch to NA - you have to download the actual live client, could take you 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how many differences there are. Okay, now you're feeling like playing the PBE - so you click to swap to that, now it has to change your Live game files back to the game files of the PBE, may, again, take a very long time to update all the changes.

In regards to your points -

1) I understand it can be irritating trying to copy over all of your masteries. However, there isn't really a way to completely copy over your masteries to another server except to re-do them anyways. Even if we could swap our stuff over, or swap it as we can do with NA / EU servers and so on - it still would be an entirely different server where you don't even have the same champions - and thus may not even want the same mastery pages.

2) I personally believe it's easy to tell the difference between the two clients. One says "League of Legends" the other is a folder, or an icon, that reads "lol.launcher". Launcher is PBE, League of Legends is the normal client.

3) They might be able to do it, but as I have detailed above, it would be a lot of wasted effort and time to install or add something that only ends up wasting the users time - if anything, so I don't believe it's something they'd want to do.

Final Example: Let's see... AoS MOBA (Made it up, but fun fact, DotA was made inspired by AoS in the old WC3 days) uses a launcher to update its game files and make sure it can apply its unique patches appropriately. League of Legends MOBA uses a different launcher to update its own unique files, maps, and champions. They are different games. So their launchers need to update different files and add different champions and different game modes and maps.

The situation has a few similarities with PBE and Live client. While they are really the same game - PBE has many different added files that are necessary for it to be a testing environment. For example; Spectator mode is on the PBE and not on the Live client. Another example; my champions on the PBE aren't the same as my champions on the Live client, so I use different runes and masteries. These differences mean that two launchers really is the fastest and most efficient way to co-ordinate the differences between the two different servers.

I hope I'm making sense - but it is just easier, and less time consuming to have two different launchers for each specific setting.

TL;DR - PBE and Live are very different. It's not simply swapping between regions and languages and etc - it's fully changing some game files depending on what is currently being tested - not to mention the champions you own in PBE may not be the same ones as Live, and thus you may want different masteries. This means if it was the same launcher, it'd update the same game, and every time you'd swap to PBE you'd have to re-download the PBE files. Now feeling like playing Live? You swap, and it'd take a long time (30 minutes as a guess?) to download the appropriate Live files instead. Each swap would take time for your computer to change your game files to the appropriate set up for what you're swapping to. Not to mention that the different launchers help with downloading the different things necessary for play in that environment.

Hope all of this information helps!

You are so miss-informed in so many ways. The difference between different regions is differnt servers, just like pbe and live. It'd be very easy to integrate pbe into the live client, they do the same thing in WoW. You can patch servers seperately so there'd be no issue with live date and pbe data.

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

11-04-2011

Quote:
Hoofster:
You are so miss-informed in so many ways. The difference between different regions is differnt servers, just like pbe and live. It'd be very easy to integrate pbe into the live client, they do the same thing in WoW. You can patch servers seperately so there'd be no issue with live date and pbe data.

I said the difference between regions is essentially different servers. That's why I said you need new masteries, new account, and why you can't meet the same people there.

And you're wrong. Absolutely dead wrong. You want to know how easily I can tell you that you are wrong, especially comparing it to WoW? I've played WoW beta servers. They sill require you to download a whole different patcher, and download a whole different game client not connected to the main game client.

Isn't that the truth? Or have you never played a WoW beta? WoW does a different client too.

If you'd take a moment to re-read what I posted, you'd find that in several places I said, and I quote

Quote:
If you swap to the PBE, that is entirely different game files.
You know why this is? To test things. WoW beta gave you the opportunity to test the new talents early, the new game modes early, new characters early, etc. I should know, I was in almost all of their Betas - and I will say I had to download a new launcher and game client each time, too.

Another thing - you might note the comparison to LoL's PBE server. Download a different launcher, that in turn downloads a different client.

You know how I know they are different clients and that I'm not misinformed (btw; that's how you spell misinformed)? Because the PBE has different RADS files and an entirely different file folder than the normal LoL game. What does this mean? That it is an entirely separate entity.

They use a separate game clients and launchers. How do I know this? Because when you got into a Beta for WoW, you would have to go to a site and download one of their special tools to your desktop - once opened, starts downloading the separate client and launcher to your desktop, that was then your gateway to the Beta. Why didn't they just use the normal launcher? Why didn't they just let you swap to the Beta type "region" if you had an invite and use that?

Because they use different game clients. These different game clients have different game files. These different game files are the reason there's a difference between Beta and Live clients - one has game files not open to the Live files, and the other is kept in a highly polished state.

It is wildly inefficient to try and shove your PBE and Live launchers together in almost any game setting. WoW has shown this, LoL has shown this, it's just more efficient to have different launchers and game files.

So please, two things -

1) Before you try to "correct" someone, know your facts.

2) Before you try to "correct" someone, please use spell-check.

I hope this information helps!

Disclaimer: Sorry if I came off as in any way overly rude, I have just woken up, haven't had my coffee, so I may not have edited myself as much as I would like. Honestly my true purpose is not to attack anyone, just to give information. I could be wrong on a few of these things, but from what I remember from WoW, and what I'm seeing from the LoL clients and folders (and how I can give you screenshots they are two entirely different folders filled with game files, and launcher files) then I'm about 99% sure I'm correct.

P.S. I understand perhaps there would be a way to force PBE as another region in the Launcher. I also understand where you're both coming from, but it is just not as efficient to shove them into the same launcher than to have a separate launcher specifically set up for the PBE and its needs.

TL;DR - Let me put it to you in a simple manner. I'm pretty sure the Launcher is connected to their download-site, not to mention the launcher itself is different. This means that when you load up the PBE launcher, not only is the launcher itself different, I believe, but it is also connecting you to their beta client and thus the beta files that require necessary download. It is more efficient to have two separate launchers because, for example; it is more efficient to simply connect a new launcher to their Beta server than to try and add a region in the other. Not to mention, it is more simple to direct one Launcher to send the game files being downloaded to one folder (Beta or Live) versus one Launcher trying to send files to two entirely different folders scattered on your computer.

LigerZeroXX

11-04-2011

Dear, posters

I thank you for all your points, and appreciate your feedback.
It is you guys that Keep this community strong!

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

11-04-2011

Quote:
LigerZeroXX:
Dear, posters

I thank you for all your points, and appreciate your feedback.
It is you guys that Keep this community strong!

I hope I helped in some way!

I know I'm not even close to the Red response you were looking for, but I hope I've given a little bit of insight if nothing else! I do love our PBE community, and our community in general nowadays, so woot to strong community!

If so, then I was glad to help!