Solo Bottom - an Indepth Dominion Guide on How to Bottom Lane

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Necks

11-03-2011

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Kill enemy player.

Cap the enemy tower.

Defend vs multiple enemy players.

Repeat.

Notice that minions are not even mentioned? It's because minions are not the primary objective of soloing bottom. The only reason one should kill minions is if their champion lacks the killing potential to outright destroy the enemy player right away. Thus, pushing minions is a crutch that they must rely on to successfully cap the enemy tower - the true objective.

Champions like Brand, Cassiopeia, Garen, Urgot, Gangplank, etc have the killing potential. They can walk up to the enemy player and outright destroy them 1 v 1 without even touching a minion.

Champions like Heimerdinger, Yorick, Malzahar, etc simply lack the burst to kill enemy players right away. Therefore, they rely on their crutch of pushing minions to achieve pseudo-success (a champion with higher killing potential can beat Yorick and Heimerdinger if they use my philosophy of ignoring minions and outright killing the enemy player). Later on, they will have the capability of directly killing champions, but in reality, they rely very heavily on minion-pushing early on - a weakness that can be capitalized on.

Just because solo bottom is the most similar to a "laning phase" akin to Summoner's Rift, doesn't mean there should be no tension. You see all of that struggle and tension up at Windmill? Everyone's aggressively attacking each other and contesting Windmill. This is Dominion. That same tension should be seen at solo bottom, even though it's a 1 v 1.

You should NOT be passively farming minions in a stalemate, merely to just recall back to shop. You should be wrestling and brawling with the enemy solo bot. The victor claims the enemy's bot tower. Now your job is to defend vs multiple enemy players attempting to recap. Meanwhile, pressure is diverted away from Windmill, which increases your team's chance of succeeding at top (because it will always be a 4 v 3 up there, since 2+ enemies are wasting their time trying to recap from you).

This is the key to success at solo bottom. If your champion has the potential to kill, my philosophy is to ignore minions and go straight for the enemy champion. By outright killing the enemy player, your minions aren't getting pushed, you're capturing the enemy bot tower, and so in a way, you're also defending your own tower. If you're doing it right, solo bottom should be fun, it's action-packed, and it's arguably the most important role on the team. Your personal actions at bottom can literally determine whether your team wins or loses, ultimately.

^ If you read all of that, cake for you.

Videos:

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K-ObN147AM

clickbang

11-03-2011

As someone who 9/10 plays solo bot I give this guide a meh at best

While you have pointed out the genral startegy for bot, I don't know why you would ever ignore minions all together, yes. If you can out right kill a champion, by all means do it. But ignoring minions is self denying xp/gold

Beyond that there is a greater unexpected use to minions based on who you are playing/who you are play against.
One, if you are playing against anyone with a skillshot, you can stand position your self around your minions almost ensuring they will miss most of their skillshots
Secondly, for example let's match my all time favorite bot, galio against your example of Garen. I can stand in the middle of my wave, poke at you and your wave. And you will have to run through minion waves to get me and get pathed stupidly, allowing for an easy escape. (The same use of minion blocking can be applied to people trying to gank you, allowing for you to make an otherwise impossible escape impossible)

While there is alot to be said about the bot meta game and the strategy therein, ignoring minions would be like ignoring buffs in summoners rift, sure you can do it, but why would you?

Alvinheimer

11-03-2011

i get cake, yay!

Definitely telling the truth about the importance of bot lane, but i believe you undersell minions too much. You have to assume that your opponent is pushing your minions too, so its still a good idea to push your lane in case you are hurt and half to b.

clickbang

11-03-2011

Also, depending on champion vs champion match up, if you get a big enough wave to the top to atleast decap, you have already denyed them a point either sucking away slowly at their nexus points, or temporarily stopping yours from bleeding out (depending on how the others on your team are doing.

Now if you have done a sufficient job at poking while farming and pushing the minion wave you can kill them out right with no tower defending them, or force a recall, allowing you to secure the point and defending it for as long as logical without dying needlessly. Sorry, generally speaking if they have 3 at bot with a minion wave, they will more then likely get that tower, poke as you fall back to yours ready to defend against the counter push, but. By simply decapping the tower, or holding it for a bit, or forcing more to bot you have done more then you ever needed to do in the first place, dont die trying to be a hero

Darmival

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2011

Bad guide OP. I hope you aren't ever on my team.

Pushing minions gives xp, gold, and helps cap enemy tower faster than you can cap alone. Keeping the minions waves up against the enemy tower also limits the gold/xp the enemy champion can get off minions.

herp a derp.

Karma Harmony

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickbang View Post
As someone who 9/10 plays solo bot I give this guide a meh at best
Agreed, this guide is simply wrong.

Its mainly wrong here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necks View Post
Kill enemy player
Which it also suggests to do by 'ignoring minions.

Well *if* you can kill the enemy player, you you can dominate bottom.

However, *if* it was that easy to kill the enemy players, you could write a win strategy as follows:

• Kill enemy players
  • 5 cap
  • Win

The above strategy for bottom is about as useless & wrong as that ...

Realistically you have to use the minions properly (i.e. kill the enemy minions both for gold, but mostly to push them to enemy tower) to win.

Squidget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2011

As with SR, attacking the enemy player when they have a minion wave alive is going to lead to you tanking lots of creep damage while you fight them. Unlike SR, minions in Dominion hit pretty hard.

Obviously you should kill them if you can, but mindlessly right-clicking the enemy player is going to lead to you losing a lot of matchups that are winnable.

Nekrogen

11-03-2011

There is a balance between both pushing the minion wave and harassing the enemy laner to back off from your minion wave. In order to succeed bottom lane, you must achieve this. Killing your lane opponent is optional but it will net your team a significant advantage because you will at least neutralize their point. As a player who has played literally over 400 games solo bot (and won a vast majority of them), The key is overall lane dominance which includes:

1. PUSHING your lane, not just farming the creeps. In fact, don't even worry about last hitting too much (do it if you can), just use your high damage spells or autoattacks on the minions with the most hp (melee minions first) to push the lane. You must be subtracting more health from their minion mob than your lane opponent is on yours, so don't neglect this.

2. HARASSING your lane opponent is going to force them to back off from your minions. Contest the health relic and use summoners if you have to; you want to win that initial tradeoff to gain pushing advantage. Switch between attacking creeps and attacking your lane opponent when he gets too close.

3. CAPTURING/NEUTRALIZING their bottom point is your end game strategy, and minions are going to help you do this. Promote is extremely useful here because it will put a lot of damage on their point and neutralize it ASAP so that you can force your enemy off of it.

4. HOLDING their bottom point after taking it is the best position you can be in. The only problem you need to be wary of is people backdooring your bottom point, and you can ping it to ask a top laner to maybe assist with it, or abandon their bottom point if you think you can reach them in time, the choice is yours.

5. DIE TRYING to hold their bottom point, but do so with a big explosion! Waste as much of their time as you can, and if you can escape with your life, then more power to you, but make sure the horde is after you and you alone! Backing after you obtain their point is only acceptable if you really have no HP to contest it with.

Repeat this process as necessary, but don't neglect top just because you're "assigned" to bot lane. There may be a time when you need to start roaming; this is a team game afterall.

I hope this helps.

clickbang

11-03-2011

It is pointless to die on their bot if they have brought 3 and have a wave, they will get it and if smart cap yours. That's not to say don't poke, don't harass for as long as possible, but dying for a point you can't keep is silly.

As bot your main job is defense of your tower
decapping theirs was more then required of you
Taking their tower was more then required of you
holding their tower till 2 or 3 showed up was more then required of you
don't die for a show.

I mean defend that tower as long as possible, don't run away instantly with a tail between your legs, just don't die needlessly (this is coming from a person who has gotten triple kills under their home tower, buut who has also died stupidly and needlessly to one person

Seņor Pancho

11-03-2011

Quote:
Unlike SR, minions in Dominion hit pretty hard
this.

killing your opponent is ideal, since you WILL cap his node, unless he's packing revive.

however, because of minions and the way the aggro works in LoL, it's crazy hard to do for pretty much any auto-attacker, or some caster with AOE (most dont aggro, but some do)

iirc, only the single-target spells don't "aggro" and most AOE if you are at a certain distance.