Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The frost Archer, a Ranked Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sp4rKz

11-03-2011

Hey guys this is my Ranked Guide for Ashe, the frost Archer. She's probly my most succesful champion in ranked so far so i decided to share what i'm exactly doing with this champ to be that effective at carrying a game by myself.

Introduction

The first thing that is very important with ashe is to have a good setup of runes and masteries. There is many possible runes and masteries that works well for her and they depend of the support you're laning with and of course of your playstyle. The build and the order in wich you purchase your item is also very important. Finaly the different phase of the game, Laning/teamfight what to do, how to position yourself, when you need to fight and when it's better to run away. So what we'll see in this guide:

->Abilities
->Runes and Masteries
->Summoner Spell
->Items
->Laning
->Teamfight
->Conclusion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abilities

Focus

While out of combat, Ashe's Critical Strike chance increases by 3/6/9/12/15/18% every 3 seconds for her next attack.

Really nice passive, give you a good advantage when you come to your lane the first time or after you've recall. A nice 100% crit after a while on an ennemy champ will help you take the lane advantage. Really good mixed with sona's Power Chord.

Frost Shot
8 mana per attack

Toggle: Ashe's basic attacks slow her target's movement speed by 15/20/25/30/35% for 2 seconds.

Thats the ability that defines Ashe. Since you have slightly more range than most other AD carry, it is very good at Kiting your opponents. (Most champ have 550 range while ashe got 600, cait is at 650 and trist late game 725... kog maw 750 with his W). Also very helpfull while chasing and during the cleanup part of teamfight.

Volley
60 mana
Cooldown: 20/16/12/8/4 seconds

Ashe fires 7 arrows in a cone dealing attack damage +40/50/60/70/80. Volley also applies Frost Shot.

Used early game to Harras or to farm multiple minion at the same time. DO NOT SPAM THIS ABILITY ON MINION!. It will only push the lane and make you easy to gank. A nice Skillshot to finish some1 who jumped over a wall with flash to escape, can also slow multiple ennemy in a teamfight becaus it apply frost shot.

Hawkshot
No cost
Cooldown: 60 seconds

Passive: Ashe gains 1/2/3/4/5 extra gold whenever she kills a unit.

Active: Ashe animates a hawk to scout for her, revealing terrain as it flies toward target location.

Great ability, some extra gold is always welcome on a carry. Also can be used to scout the map. Very helpfull to help you land your ultimate. More effective on the bottom lane IMO because you can use it to scoute the dragon.

Enchanted Crystal Arrow
150 mana
Cooldown: 100/90/80 seconds

Fires a large arrow in a straight line. If it hits an enemy champion, it will deal 250/425/600 (+100% of AP) magic damage and stun that champion for up to 3.5 seconds, based on the distance the arrow traveled. Additionally, surrounding units take half the damage and are slowed by 50% for 3 seconds.

Ashe's signature move. One of the best initiator in the game. Take lots of time to master this skill. Using it can give the game to your team. You must use it as much as possible using your Hawkshot to look for the ennemy jungler ult him when is alone free kill. You need a lot of map awarness to use it everytime you can and effectively but it can give you so much advantage. Exemple, the ennemy jungler is going in the river you ult him. Your jungler is nearby he gets an assist your support heal you as you shot the arrow and your mid comes to help you can stay bot and keep farming its still 4 assist for your team. be carefull tho not to try too much of these all map long arrow. It is luck base and there is so much good opportunity to use it anyway.

There is 2 possible skill order for ashe and they depends on what you are doing. If you stick in lane and farm all day then : R>W>E>Q

If you try to get some kill, dragon, play with your team, gank or w/e then: R>W>Q>E.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runes and Masteries

There is many possibility there. I'm gonna show you guys some. You can experiment wich one you prefer. First let start with what i'm currently using on ashe:

Marks: 9x Armor Pen
Seals: 9x Mana Regen/lvl
Glyph: 9x Flat AD
Quint: 3x Flat AD

Marks:
Marks should always be Armor pen but it is also possible to replace them with attack speed or flat AD in wich case you must use all 3 quint of Armor pen. Runing all AD runes without any armor pen is not bad early game but this is a terrible setup for late game and since Ashe is a carry (in other word a late game champ) its not really viable IMO.

Seals
I like running mana regen/lvl seals on Ashe. It really help with her small manapool and allow you to keep using your volley durring a teamfight after you've used your ultimate. If you are laning with Soraka these runes might not be needed tho so you could run Flat armor runes or HP/lvl. These 3 runes type works. Try them to see what you prefer.

Glyph
I was running CDR before but since I'm playing some other carry with this rune page (Ezreal, Cait, Grave) i find that Flat AD works better for my need. You could also use magic resist/lvl or run your armor seals and use the mana regen/lvl on glyph.

Quint
Right now I'm using flat Ad quint but some other choice that works are movespeed, Armor pen and Flat HP. I've try them all and find that the extra AD you get early gives you more harras power and it is also easier to last hit (especially if the lane you're laning against is agressive). Movespeed really help for your slow, to keep chasing the ennemy when needed. The extra Armor penetration help if you are against a tanky support like alistar or taric. Really situational and what you guys like most IMO.

Masteries
Using a 21/0/9 masterie tree. Make sure you pick all the point for AD in the offensive tree (Atck Speed, crit, damage, armor pen) and i also pick the 15% madic pen for my ult. Will also help boosting a bit the damage of a bloodrazer if you get one. For the 9 point in utility its really up to you. Just make sure you place 1 point in ghost if you are using it and 1 point the the buff duration for when you get Red buff.

Summoner Spell

FLASH!!!!! I dont care just do it!!!! Its a must on ashe. Impossible to play her in high level game without this spell. Dont tell me you think somthing else is better or your dog hate it or your mom told you not too i dont care! just stfu and pick flash on ashe. For the other spell i'd rather use ghost but exhaust can work too. Maybe teleport in some case but nothing else. And i always run Flahs/ghost on her anyway, but as i said Flash and the other one between ghost/exhaust/teleport.

Items

The most important part of this guide. Your build will make you carry your team or transform you into an all you can eat buffet for the ennemy team. Too many time i've seen a Ashe player rushing phantom dancer first... And this is absolutely not the good way to build her!!! First item, Dorans blade. In some case if your support cannot heal you (Janna) or you are laning with a tank (Leona), running boots+3pots is good. Nothing else! please dont start with dorans ring/shield, or meki pendant or regrowth pendant. Dorans blade or (and only if your support cannont heal you) boots+3 pots. After you farm until you have enough gold for your lvl1 boots and a BF sword. If you're having trouble in your lane stackin 2-3 dorans blade before getting your BF can help you. After BF pick zeal and finish you BF into and Infinity edge. Once you have IE and zeal you really deal some damage. For boots i run either beserker greaves or Boots of swiftness for the extra movespeed. Also the cloak of agility can be usefull early game for the extra % crit as mentioned by Tanden. I do that very often and forgot to add it in the guide so thanks for the comments!

laning items: Dorans blade/BF sword/boots of speed/zeal/cloak of agility

Core Items: Infinity Edge/Phantom Dancer/Bloodthirster/Boots

Offensive Item: Black cleaver/Last whisper

Deffensive Item: Banshee veil/Wit's End/guardian Angel/Madred Bloodrazer

Most of the time i go full glass Canon Ashe but only if the team composition allow me too. otherwise I'll probly grab a banshe and maybe a chain vest for some extra armor without upgrading it into anything. My final build looks like that:

Phantom Dancer/Phantom Dancer/Infinity Edge/Black Cleaver/Bloodthirster/Last whisper

I wait until the end to replace my boots with another phantom dancer. you will have around 400 movespeed with 2 phantom dancer instead of boots. Whit this build you can destroy anything, Tank/Carry/Bruiser. I would say 2-3 auto attack for the carry, around 5-6 for a bruiser and around 10 for a tank. If you are focused hard during teamfight or your team dont have much cc you will have to build some resist in wich case you rush the 4 core items (including boots) and mix the 2 last with defensive or offensive item depending what you need. Remember that positioning is the key and if your team got a decent amount of CC you can run full glass canon very often without dying. Your job is to deal damage so deal damage!

Laning

Laning phase is were you are building your lategame. Just farm, farm did i say farm? You farm until you got enough money for boots and BF. Then you can start ganking a little bit. But always do somthing. its the key. Chek the map and find somthing to do. Here the priority list of thing to do in order of the most important to the less important:

-> Push a lane, Take a tower
-> Teamfight
-> Dragon Control
-> Help a teammates (If is risky and you might die with him dont do it tho. Better 1 death then 2).
-> Farm your lane
-> Scout with your Hawkshot and ult for a free kill
-> Help a bad teammates who put himself in a terrible situation and it will result in him dying and you dying with him but, hey! at least he wont rage at you in chat for not trying to help him.... (actually forget about this one xD)

As you can see i consider tower more important then dragon becasue they give map control. So what if the ennemy team is getting dragon? if your team take bot tower and deny all the farm of their carry for the rest of the game? Teamfight with your team is also more important then soloing the dragon or whatever. I would say tho that a 4v5 teamfight is worht it if not everyone die and you BD a turret during that fight. So turret is the number one priority. better then dragon, better then kill better then everything. If you can get a turret do it. Kill wont win a game. turret will. Also dont leave you lane to help top with the whole team to see the jungler and the carry getting your bottom turret....

Teamfight

There is 3 phase during a teamfight. Your positioning during all of them will determine how well you do and thats why i dont build much resist because if you get caught a banshee veil is not gonna save you anyway.

Initiation:
This is when some1 decide to go in and will most of the time determine wich team is gonna win the teamfight. You can initiate a fight with ashe and you dont have to wait for you team to tell you when... IT IS YOUR JOB!!!! to know when to ult and to do it ASAP on the right target. Dont focus some1 like alistar/Olaf or Gangplank with your ult. They will just remove the CC. Try to hit the carry/Mage or support. No one else. Sometimes you can actually ult a tank like amumu to give enough time to your team to setup some cc whitout being snared by his utli but thats very situational. It will come with experience. You MUST stay far behind during this phase. Try shooting your ult from the fog of war or hidden in a brush so they wont see it coming. If you get caugh during this phase you will die and a banshee wont save you nor any deffensive item you could build. Stay behind everyone. Shoot your arow and wait.

Burst
This is were the tank and offtank rush in and blow the cc on the ennemy team. The mage will also rush in and burst his spell. stay behind again for this phase. With ashe you can shoot some volley but be carefull not to be caught with residual damage from the aoe burst. be aware of the ennemy assassin, he will probly try to get you at this exact phase. Telling you team to cc him and protect you at all cost can help not dying. but, as i said, stay behind and be carefull

Cleanup
This is were you go in. you should have most of your HP and the CC is down for a while. Go in and do A+leftclick on a target (better then rightclicking) and let your champion follow until its dead. Dont forget to activate your slow. When its done repeat until everyone is dead. It is important to focus the right champion at this point and dont change your target unless your are going to die if you dont change. Also never spam your right click or the A+left click key. Click once and only once your champion will keep attacking that target until its dead. here the priority list:

-> Champion who deal the most damage (if you dont focus him he will mostly kill you while you kill another one)
-> Support (So he cant heal them While you are attacking)
->Champion with CC on cooldown (better kill them before he can use it again)
->Tank

Whit some lifesteal and the damage you are dealing it should be easy to finish everyone.
Of course if the ennemy team initiate you, you will mostly lose the teamfight so its better to do it first unless they have a champ who is great at counter initiation like Amumu or Cassiopeia. you wont always win but if you've farmed well and you have a decent DPS build you will deal so much damage that they will just run away. When you kill a warwick with only 3 auto attack during the cleanup phase the rest of the team will probly run away unless they have some1 like akali or talon who can kill you first. Assassin are you worst ennemy you will never win a 1v1 fight against 1 unless you stun him then attack him before he can do anything so be carefull. your job is to deal damage and clean up after the burst but also to initiate a fight. Thats why IMO ashe is one of the best carry because instead of just cleaning up like most carry she's actually good at starting a fight.

Conclusion

Ashe is a good carry, easy to pick up but it take time and practice to bring her to a competitive level and her ult is also hard to use correctly. Remember that you are squishy no matter what resist you are building. Be carefull. Your ult is game changing. If you keep the river warder and the jungle warded and scout with your hawkshot to see if the jungler is there you can get many free kill/assist for you and your team with your ultimate. Doing that early game will give you a huge advantage later. if you really want to be good, watch some streaming and play ranked.... Practice and time will make you good. Also dont think you never fail and the others are alwasy wrong because this way you will never improve. Finaly feel free to leave some comments and things that could be changed in the guide. I,ll try to keep this post alive and answer as fast as i can.

theplqa

11-03-2011

I noticed you included Bloodrazor.It isn't an effective DPS item unless you are playing a champ that is based around on-hit effects.Pretty much any other AD item would help more.

Sp4rKz

11-03-2011

Quote:
theplqa:
I noticed you included Bloodrazor.It isn't an effective DPS item unless you are playing a champ that is based around on-hit effects.Pretty much any other AD item would help more.

Include this item in the defesive item section because of the armor it give.. i dont recommand it but it can be used against a team stacking HP without magic resist... or if you need a bit of armor to keep you alive from residual AoE damage (physical). Also the other items that gives armor and some dps is Atma and sicne you dont have much HP with ashe i dont think its really worth it...

theplqa

11-03-2011

How about Guardian Angel for Armor instead?It reduces the incentive for people to focus you,as you will just revive.And it gives both Armor and MR.

Sp4rKz

11-03-2011

Quote:
theplqa:
How about Guardian Angel for Armor instead?It reduces the incentive for people to focus you,as you will just revive.And it gives both Armor and MR.

Never thouhg of that one for ashe but since i build it on champion like akali or master yi i think its worth it... Its a carry item anyway not really for tank

EDIT: Its changed now...

solcroft

11-03-2011

Quote:
theplqa:

Why is that? Come late game even squishies will typically have around ~2k hp, that's +80 bonus dmg from MBR plus its base +30 dmg for +110 dmg total, and +40 AS. What AD item gives you +110 dmg, +40 AS, and scales its bonus dmg with the enemy's max hp?

theplqa

11-03-2011

Quote:
solcroft:
Why is that? Come late game even squishies will typically have around ~2k hp, that's +80 bonus dmg from MBR plus its base +30 dmg for +110 dmg total, and +40 AS. What AD item gives you +110 dmg, +40 AS, and scales its bonus dmg with the enemy's max hp?

The damage is HUGELY mitigated by MR so your calculations won't be the same ingame.It already drops a near whole percent in damage from some champs base MR.
Also other items give more damage.Like a Bloodthirster or even another PD.

theplqa

11-03-2011

Also I feel that you should include QSS for defensive items.Only when you are playing against champs like Galio or Amumu would this be useful but it would be a good idea to put a note on this.

Tanden

11-03-2011

overall is a nice guide. However, the item section can use more insight on early/mid game. Most players know that Ash final item build is very typical, PD, BT, IE, defensive item such as GA or BV. It is the early / mid game differ a good ash from bad.

Take doran blade for example. How many do you need before start to save money for BF sword? How does a player decide how many blade he need?

Another thing is zeal. I would get cloak before zeal because it provide more criti chance and cheaper.

solcroft

11-03-2011

Quote:
theplqa:
The damage is HUGELY mitigated by MR so your calculations won't be the same ingame.It already drops a near whole percent in damage from some champs base MR.

And AD items are mitigated by armor, too. Your point?

Quote:
theplqa:
Also other items give more damage.Like a Bloodthirster or even another PD.

BT gives 10 less damage and no AS. PD gives 15 more AS, but zero AD, and the +30% crit is only as good as 110 AD if you already have ~300 AD.