Boycott Sponsors - That's What Will Really Matter

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

McDracos

11-03-2011

After the recent controversy, the best way to get across the point that it is not acceptable to win through dishonorable means is to boycott Dignitas' sponsors. Even if you don't believe that Voyboy lied the WCG officials, he did ask for a second chance and, when he later got it and knew it was not deserved, accepted it. You cannot say that any other competitive team would do the same thing because when the Canadian team was offered the same opportunity at a rematch, and without any questionable behavior on their part, they turned it down and demonstrated their sportsmanship. Even if they didn't cheat, I think it's worth boycotting Dignitas' sponsors for demonstrating that they have no Dignity.

So who are these sponsors? They are Intel, IG, Multiplay, Sound Blaster, Western Digital, Scan, 6OOL gaming, iiyama, gamerbase, Razer, Antec, and Alienware, and yes, that's quite a list. Other than the bolded ones, you probably wouldn't have supported them anyway. Well, it shouldn't be too hard to not support those you do recognize, so It's not asking much; but what if you want to do more?

Well, if you send an E-mail or a letter saying that you will boycott their products because of their association with Dignitas, they will listen. For every e-mail they get, a corporation figures that 100 people feel the same, or 1000 for every letter, so you can make a big difference in their perception with your individual actions. If they realize that their reputation is being tarnished by association with Dignitas, they will stop sponsoring them. In an e-mail, simply mention that you are boycotting their products as long as they sponsor Dignitas because of their unsportsmanlike behavior, and ideally mention that there's a movement in the LoL community for others to do the same. Include anything else that you thing is important, but those are the two main points.

To make it easy, here's an e-mail contact for those sponsors that I think will be most significant/responsive:

Intel - These are their biggest sponsor, would be the most important to have them dropped, and are big enough that they understand bad PR and won't lose much by dropping one team - http://www.intel.com/about/companyinfo/questions/index.htm

IG (Initial Games) - This looks to be a smaller outfit that relies far more on having good sponsorships than the other companies. They will probably be more responsive to a team that plummets in popularity than most - sales@initialgames.com

Alienware - Alienware is all about the image; their products are, to be frank, overpriced. They are likely a big sponsor, and will probably be responsive to receiving a negative image - sales@alienware.com

Razer - They sell high quality gaming gear and are likely more sensitive to what's happening in the competitive gaming scene - http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit

If anyone wants to actually put in the effort to write a letter, I can find their mailing addresses.

TL:DR Boycott Intel, IG, Multiplay, Sound Blaster, Western Digital, Scan, 6OOL gaming, iiyama, gamerbase, Razer, Antec, and Alienware. Email the companies if you want to really make a difference.

Ysmir

11-03-2011

ITT: People will overreact about things they don't understand.

Captain Scoots

11-03-2011

I'll support this to the best of my abilities.
You should probably draft a petition to get signed and then email it to each company.

Felipeexd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBFtrace View Post

ITT: People defend scumbags with no sportsmanship

McDracos

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBFtrace View Post
And why do you assume I don't understand? I've read all the articles, all the statements from all sides, including Voyboy's, WCG's, and Matt Marcou's, saw Matt Marcou live on state of the league and watched the tournament. I'm not sure I could be much more informed unless I was actually one of the people involved in this debacle.

That Dignitas acted without dignity in accepting a rematch they admitted they didn't deserve is a matter of fact.

Benchmade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2011

I was thinking of doing this but I'm too lazy to write an e-mail to all these companies. If anyone could provide a template, it'd be much appreciated and I would send e-mails to all of Dignitas' sponsors.

Mooninites

11-03-2011

I contacted most of the companies, hopefully more people will

McDracos

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmade View Post
I was thinking of doing this but I'm too lazy to write an e-mail to all these companies. If anyone could provide a template, it'd be much appreciated and I would send e-mails to all of Dignitas' sponsors.
Even something short would be enough, along the lines of:

Dear _____;

In light of the recent scandal where Dignitas cheated their opponents out of the WCG Championship in America, I can no longer support them or their sponsors. Because they conducted themselves with such a lack of sportsmanship, I will be boycotting your products so long as you remain a sponsor of theirs. This is a disappointment as I've been a fan of your products for years as they are the best in the industry. I know that there are others who feel similarly, and with the outrage in the League of Legends community, I hope you will do the right thing and end your sponsorship of Dignitas and show that your company has dignity even if they do not.

Sincerely,

Change products to processors for intel.

Kanark

11-03-2011

Emails... sent.

Grim Reefah

11-03-2011

nice