Whats the difference between Mage and AP damage.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daxxz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2011

the main difference between an ap carry and an ap mage is simple. look at brand vs. leblanc.. brand is a mage. he can deal reasonable single target damage; but he really hines at messing up a group. so does veigar, and annie, and malz. leblanc is not so great at the team fights, but she can smoke you faster than a dry cigarette if she catches you alone.

the general distinction between carries and any other champion is that carries tend to be weak initially, and scale better with offensive stats than tanks, support, and mages.

Fluffy1

11-03-2011

an AP champ is one who is using AP scalling skills to deal damage, mages fall under this but many assassins also fall under this. thedifference between just this and a mage is a mage also does this primarily as large AOE's with hard CC, but they are restricted by cooldowns quite heavily.

Powerstoned

11-03-2011

A Mage has a series of ranged attacks.

iP1ayJarvan

11-04-2011

then what do u call a magic proc champ? sure they do damage with autoattacks, but the damage is magic damage from madred's, malady and wits end. they aren't exactly an ad carry (kog for instance), yet you don't call them mage or ap carry would u?

Lorifel

Recruiter

11-04-2011

Mages are the guys who:
1. Scale very well with AP.
2. Have lousy autoattacks.
3. Wear pointy hats and/or beards.

That's why Kog is not a mage. Neither he has a beard nor his autoattacks are lousy. =)

Tyroie

11-04-2011

Ultimately, I'd say a mage is someone who's abilities look magical and sparkly. Haha.

But yeah. I actually think that it's a good idea to remember what different champs are good at, instead of just saying, "this team needs MOAR WIZARDS." Since there are certainly non-mages who may be able to fill the role you're looking for.

My favorite topic is thinking about how a champion supports.

Like... I've always felt like Veigar's stun is my favorite support spell in the game. Anivia's wall and snares are very supportive too. Even Ryze's tankiness is supportive - enemies want to kill him because he hurts, but that can give time for his team to do more damage. You could even think of Ezreal's baiting and dodging as a type of support, leading enemies into bad positioning and wasting their cooldowns.

I think that's my favorite part about most mages, compared to melee champs - they tend to be supportive in much more interesting ways...

Shaandi

05-25-2012

How come Ezreal isn't considered a mage?