Whats the difference between Mage and AP damage.

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DD DoubleDiamond

Senior Member

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman Silo View Post
Don't think of the word regular then. Think of the word Dependency.

All other types of AD characters arn't as relient on items as carrys are BUT the Carrys scale better with those items.
The point is there isn't an "AD champion" and there is a "carry", AD is a damage type, not a character type. Mages deal magic damage. There is no difference between a champion that does mostly AP and a mage without some other type of distiction.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wiseman Silo

Senior Member

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD DoubleDiamond View Post
The point is there isn't an "AD champion" and there is a "carry", AD is a damage type, not a character type. Mages deal magic damage. There is no difference between a champion that does mostly AP and a mage without some other type of distiction.
Then we're talking about different things. If you read earlier there was a difference stated between someone who does AP damage and a mage.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DD DoubleDiamond

Senior Member

11-03-2011

A mage does AP damage, and a Carry does mostly or all AD damage.

What is the difference between a jet and a plane? Well, a Jet is a type of plane. You can't even say a jet has X and a plane does not, because a plane can be a jet, which would have X.

You can argue the difference between an "assassin" and a "mage". Assassins can do AP or AD. A mage does AP. There is no difference without further specifications.

Brand is a mage. Brand is also an AP champion. If someone says pick a mage or pick an AP, you could pick brand and be good in either case.

Caitlyn is a carry, and she is also an AD champion. However, if someone said "pick a brawler" you wouldn't pick Caitlyn. However, if someone said take an AD, you could take caitlyn or an ad brawler and be good in either case.


Ironically, when people say "AP" they normally mean mage, and when people say "AD" they normally mean carry, but using that as a point isn't fair.


My answer to the thread: There is no practical difference between a mage and an AP champion. And, in most cases, when someone says "Ap champion" they actually mean a type of mage, such as brand or karthus.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wiseman Silo

Senior Member

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD DoubleDiamond View Post
A mage does AP damage, and a Carry does mostly or all AD damage.

What is the difference between a jet and a plane? Well, a Jet is a type of plane. You can't even say a jet has X and a plane does not, because a plane can be a jet, which would have X.

You can argue the difference between an "assassin" and a "mage". Assassins can do AP or AD. A mage does AP. There is no difference without further specifications.

Brand is a mage. Brand is also an AP champion. If someone says pick a mage or pick an AP, you could pick brand and be good in either case.

Caitlyn is a carry, and she is also an AD champion. However, if someone said "pick a brawler" you wouldn't pick Caitlyn. However, if someone said take an AD, you could take caitlyn or an ad brawler and be good in either case.


Ironically, when people say "AP" they normally mean mage, and when people say "AD" they normally mean carry, but using that as a point isn't fair.
I've yet to make an actual argument over anything so really i'm not sure who or what your trying to argue at all. go check Cenerae's post if you want to see where this conversation ended. The thing you may have interpreted as an argument was just me saying what I thought a carry was compared to anyone else who deals AD.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DD DoubleDiamond

Senior Member

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman Silo View Post
I've yet to make an actual argument over anything so really i'm not sure who or what your trying to argue at all. go check Cenerae's post if you want to see where this conversation ended.
His post agrees with me. He makes specific distictions between "mage" and "assassin". You asked if there was a difference between "mage" and "ap". There is not.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wiseman Silo

Senior Member

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD DoubleDiamond View Post
His post agrees with me. He makes specific distictions between "mage" and "assassin". You asked if there was a difference between "mage" and "ap". There is not.
And your point is?......Oh look you won the agrument that never existed grats to you. Lets move on. /end topic. YOU can keep talking here but keep in mind I won't be replying to you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DD DoubleDiamond

Senior Member

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman Silo View Post
And your point is?......Oh look you won the agrument that never existed grats to you. Lets move on. /end topic.
I wasn't arguing when I first posted, I was answering your thread. You then attacked the argument (mostly because you misunderstood my point/point of the previous poster) so I made myself more clear.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

11-03-2011

The main distinction for the game is damage type, AP(magic) versus AD(physical).

Since the game revolves around damage and defence based on those two types, the actual difference between a "mage" AP and a non-mage AP really isn't that important.

That said, mage is more of an RPG term that tends to be associated with an equivalent League of Legends AP subgroup of casters who are generally squishier, higher damage and ranged.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wiseman Silo

Senior Member

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aregionius View Post
The main distinction for the game is damage type, AP(magic) versus AD(physical).

Since the game revolves around damage and defence based on those two types, the actual difference between a "mage" AP and a non-mage AP really isn't that important.

That said, mage is more of an RPG term that tends to be associated with an equivalent League of Legends AP subgroup of casters who are generally squishier, higher damage and ranged.
Then why not tack on a tag for every person that exclusivly uses AD as "Warrior" or some generic tag by contrast. by this reasoning shouldn't every character who doesn't deal hybrid damage either have a "Warrior" or "Mage" tag assosiated with them just as they do a Melee or Ranged tag?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nkhatri3

Senior Member

11-03-2011

I think what he means is "what's the difference between Mages and champs that deal Magic damage?"

Well here it is. Mages obviously deal magic damage and to counter them, you have to buy MR. However, a champion like Udyr is not considered a mage yet deals a lot of magic damage w/ phoenix, tiger, and Wits. You'd also have to buy MR to help against his damage. The thing is, a mage buys AP to deal more damage while a champion that deals MAGIC damage doesn't have to if the magic damage is inherent in the champion (like udyr's tiger/phoenix) or comes from an item that deals magic damage instead of attack damage(like wits or BR or SofD).

Does that help?


123