History of the Items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MuscleMemory

09-27-2009

Looking at the item's I realized that quite a few have names attached to them: Doran's items, Madred's, Zhonya's among others.

I would like to know if the item's story will be revealed, who was Atma and what did she impale... you know? Now some, like Rylai's is strait from DOTA and Guinsoo's is obvious, but the other's, like the ones listed above, are what I really want to know about.

redit

Adjudicator

09-27-2009

Mardred is the Phantom Assassin from DotA. I'm surprised you didn't know this. :-)

Arai Kitsune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2009

It's Mortred, and I'm not so sure it is a reference, as it's spelt differently. Atma seems to be a refernce to the Atma Weapon from Final Fantasy VI, there were two, a powerful creature, and a sword that did damage proportional to your health. The name Atma was later translated to Ultima.

JayceJa

09-27-2009

Madred could possibly be a reference to Mortred though, and i do believe Mortred from DotA is a reference to Mordred from the legend of King Arthur, which Madred could be a direct reference to, Mordred was the traitor who fought King Arthur at the Battle of Camlann, where he was killed and Arthur fatally wounded
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordred

TiberiusAudley

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-27-2009

Mad Red. It be a pirate, yarr.

ZGBudai

09-27-2009

Zhonya just sounds cool.

TenToedPete1

Adjudicator

09-27-2009

Not just items, but heres quote from a thread a while ago from the adjudicator forums that details some stuff;

Quote:
I started this project a while ago on the adjudicator board, and decided that it was complete enough to share with the rest of the community. Enjoy, and please, if you notice something I missed, let me know.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

{The Purpose}
I have decided that cataloging every Easter egg in League of Legends might be a fun thing to do. They will be broken down by item, champion, and misc, unless categories prove diverse enough.

{Animations and Sounds}

Anivia's Dance
Source: The Cryophoenix performs the chicken dance when you enter /dance in chat.

Kassadin's Dance
Source: The Void Walker performs the (in)famous Sprinkler dance move when you enter /dance in chat.

{Champions}
Amumu - Bandage Toss
Source: While the skill Bandage Toss itself is not a reference, it's picture is. Recently released to the general public, it has Amumu using the classic "Spiderman" hand gesture to fling the bandages from his wrists.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/image...ility_1_32.jpg

Annie and Tibbers
Source: Riot's Gameplay Producer's girlfriend is named Annie. She owns a teddy bear named Tibbers. See the "random fact" on this newsletter, at the bottom of the "Join the Forums" section. http://mail.m.leagueoflegends.com/newsletter/5/

Jax
Source: The DotA item, the Oblivion Staff is "A quarterstaff made by the master weaponsmith Jax." See this image, taken by Classick: http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4333/jaxhig.jpg

Master Yi - Wuju
Source: Wuju is a reference to two of the developers at Riot Games. Namely, Andy Woo and Jeff Jew. Together, they make the mighty force known as Wuju!

Tryndamere
Source:Named after Marc Merrill's character on Everquest.

Veigar, the Tiny Master of Evil
Source: Viegar, Riot's QA guy, is where this name comes from. He is "quite tall."

Zilean
Source: Riot Director of Systems Design, Zileas. At points in the beta, Zilean has actually been referred to as Zileas.

{Items}
Atma's Impaler
Source: The Atma Weapon from Final Fantasy VI (or III on the Super Nintendo in the US). The Atma Weapon (the weapon) was a very powerful sword that gained power the more health the character it was equipped to had. Appeared as a blue lightsaber-like sword.
Source 2: Also named for an item that was hinted at in many versions of DotA and attainable on only one from the days of Guinsoo.
Source 3: The Atman is a concept in Buddhism and Hinduism that refers to the "soul" or "self." Close enough to count by my standards, plus Guinsoo brought it up.

Madred's Razor
Source: Named after a stuffed polar bear that belongs to a game designer's girlfriend. Which, in turn, is a reference to cardassian Gul' Madred, from Star Treck: The Next Generation.

Rylai's Sceptre
Source: Named after the DotA hero, the Crystal Maiden. The icon also looks similar to the Brilliance Aura effect from Warcraft III, which Rylai had a global version of.

Warmog's Armor
Source: STILL UNVERIFIED. Named after a troll warrior of the same name from the Everquest PvP server Marc Merril played on, known as Tallon Zek.

{Misc}

Baron Nashor
Source: DotA's Roshan. Nashor is NEARLY Roshan backwards. Roshan is also Guinsoo's bowling ball. Double references FTW.

Blue Pill
Source: The Blue Pill function, which teleports a champion "home," is a reference to the Matrix, which in itself is a reference to Alice in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass.
Quote:
Quote:
This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

{Credits}
  • Riot Games for making League of Legends and putting these Easter eggs in.
  • Celdiruen and Larias for confirming Wuju.
  • Zileas for giving away a champion AND giving an Easter egg at the same time
  • eXes for making me feel like a moron. Thanks for pointing out the Zileas-Zilean connection, Baron Nashor, and Tryndamere
  • Adonis, Waylander, and Micha for the detail about Annie.
  • JayceJa for recalling the "blue pill."
  • TenToedPete for the second source for Atma's Impaler, and Guinsoo himself for confirming it, and giving another possible source.
  • Shaod, for the hint about Warmog's Armor and Tryndamere
  • liezryou for correcting me about the Blue Pill. Double references are amazing.
  • Classick for pointing out the Jax reference in DotA, and then going and taking a picture of it for me. Thanks!
  • Gorky, for the orignal hint about Madred's Razor
  • Ezreal, for confirming Tryndamere and Madred's Razor.

MuscleMemory

09-28-2009

wow that's exactly what i was looking for, all you guys rock thanks for the input

MuscleMemory

12-24-2009

any new players interested in some lore?