Help with Shyvana and playing Tanky DPS in general

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Narvuntien

11-02-2011

So.... I have no idea how to play, Melee AD tanky DPS.

why do I lose all my hp every time I attempt to kill a minion in lane?

how can I stay close enough to anyone to auto attack them (more than once) without losing more hp than my opponent?.

how do I not die instantly if I jump into a fight?

I am level 30 I have play lots of champions...
They are just almost all Mages,
except Kog, Teemo and Kayle.... who are kiters so I am not meant to be close to auto attack and minion killing is easy.

The melee champions I own are Akali, Poppy, Kat, Cho gath and Maokai. Rediclous burst and/or ranged farming ability. (tend to grab a support buddy when playing Poppy)

I just don't have any idea how to stay in a fight... I attack, run when everything is on cooldown, go back in repeat untill all opponents are dead.

People say playing Tanky DPS is easy but my worse games ever where playing playing Singed or Morde (in free weeks) and they are AP Tanky DPS.

NMSolo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2011

Well there are a couple of problems you could be doing:
You could be building them completely wrong, make sure to use a guide for spec'ing them out in order and building the right items. As an off-tank (tanky DPS) your goal is to soak damage while doing a good amount. Good thing to remember is your goal is NOT to get kills. you are there to make sure your carry and kill-reliant champions secure those kills while your goal is to soak damage and CC so they don't have to. There are of course specific strats to each off tank though. what i did was play some custom/bot games, read up a lot of guides. and get your hand held with a friend.

Rakaydos

11-02-2011

The reason champs like Skarner and Sheva get their Es ranged, is for lane poke.

Bait the enemy on your side of the minion wave, then use whatever your champ has for a gap closer (w) to get up close. Minions should physically block escape as you use your characters best combo.

Dont try to run back- instead, wait for THEM to run (they will) and disengage at the same time.

rekkless

11-02-2011

jungle

iP1ayJarvan

11-02-2011

tanky dps stay in the fight. you don't weave in and out unless you're heavily focused (which is a good thing because that means caitlyn behind you is standing still and sniping them for 1k crits untouched)

after the initiation, your job is to dive right at their squishy. to peel you off, the said squishy would probably be running for dear life or the team would have to focus you. this is why many of the tanky dps actually make good tanks too.

btw to the poster who said tanky dps aren't supposed to get kills, tanky dps are actually carries in their own way. they're generally the carries for medium length games where those true carries who are supposed to be fed and stuff, are not fed/farmed yet.

as for your questions:
1. Turret farming rhythm. 2 shots+1 autoattack for melee minion, 1 autoattack+1 turret shot+1 autoattack for caster. Do that and you should be able to cs on a harass heavy lane. other solutions: ganks or gp10 items. a lot of TDPS can actually build stuff out of them anyway.

2. After you dive and stick to a target, you should be hoping the your allies are reliable enough to get that target as well. If you get focused, you're offtanking and thats one of your functions. Or you could be building too heavy on offense, the tricky part of TDPS is balancing your offense and defense. You are not a pure damage dealer, you are not a true tank. Some games with fed carries, you may have to build that extra thornmail instead of your frozen mallet etc...

3. You should not be dying instantly in a fight, if you are, that means you got hard focused (ults, exhausts, ignites etc) and you served a purpose there. Or then again it could be a build problem, grab a GA if you're dying too much

TDPS are normally AD, your autoattacks pack a punch too. When your stuff are on CD, stay and autoattack. dont run.

Narvuntien

11-03-2011

hmm well I just went 0/4/0 in lane agianst bots :'(... Taric/ MF zone me so hard (it was a 2 v 1 lane had someone practicing jungling, they didn't gank)

Wiggles into Wits end does make me pretty powerful eventually except it takes me until 20 min to afford it currently. Next game Philo stone start I think

I am an Avid Swain Player so balancing Offence and Defence is something I am use to it is just that I don' t need to auto attack with Swain (other than to get mana) I am weaving in and out of the battle as per my play style depending on the damage I am taking.

I will work on turret farming.

Edit: nope still dying to bots and losing all my hp to minions... oh wait that was a much improved game in the end despite bad start.
15/4/18 against bots improvement Yay!

Edit: fluke ... feeding again I can't lane her at all.... perhaps I should try jungle

aim1essgun

11-03-2011

Even bots have trouble screwing up a 2v1 lane. Actually they're probably pretty good at it since they play so stupidly aggressive, and a 2v1 lane is the only way they can get away with it lol.

What are your runes and starting items looking like? A full suite of Armor yellows is very useful. Starting with Cloth Armor and 5x potions is also very useful, building into Wriggle for sustain.

Past that it'll really be about matchups. Depending on the heros involved you might not be able to trade damage with them, or maybe you can but you need to learn how via trial and error (or asking specific matchup questions on the forum)

Sir Fuzzy

11-03-2011

For top or bottom lane I often start boots and 3 pots.
It's all about staying in the fight and farming. Boots help you to run away, get that kill as they try to run with 50hp, and to rush in for last hits and rush back out before their ranged nail you.
Potions keep you from returning to base until you can buy something that matters and quite often give you that edge you need if you end up in a 1on1 early game (not something you normally want to try).

With Shyvana I have been getting the attack speed boots early followed by the cheap 12% life steal (can't remember names) and Wit's End. I've only played a few games but it work's out pretty well since Shyvana gains soooooooo much from attack speed. Her early game becomes very powerful and you can farm enough to really matter in the other stages of the game. Build Wriggles a little later but don't rush it as your first item as it really takes away from your early game pwning. for 1/4 the price you get 2/3 the sustain power and free up cash for Wit's End.

Narvuntien

11-03-2011

my current runes are

attack speed Reds
Armor Yellows
CDR blue
Move speed Quints.

I was going to get some attack speed Quints to replace the move speed ones. I sort of planned on using the runes for Kayle as well hence the CDR.

I have been going health regen pendant and 1 pot recently... my farm has improved when playing against real people but i am still getting killed a lot.... I tend to die and my ally get the kill.

Wubzey

11-03-2011

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/shyvana-taming-the-dragon-jungle-and-lane-guide-144613 This is my guide on Shyvana in the jungle and in a lane, feel free to read it, it may help your idea of how to play her/ any tanky DPS while they are not all the same.