[Guide] Advanced Annie - Be the Boss

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crazy Demon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2010

Quote:
Dunno how sapphire crystal annie's compete against beefy katarina's. Unless you want to get outzoned and outfarmed all day.
It doesn't. Before I tried Doran's Ring, I thought it was because Annie was a worst soloer than Katrinia.

SuicidalPankake

07-03-2010

I've been using this guide and my kills/assists have at least doubled, no joke. Just one question about tibbers, though. How much of his summoning circle has to be in range for it to go off? Like, your range is the huge circle, and his cast area is the small one. Does it all have to be in the large circle? Does the middle of his have to be in range?

AIM7Sparrow

07-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicidalPankake View Post
I've been using this guide and my kills/assists have at least doubled, no joke. Just one question about tibbers, though. How much of his summoning circle has to be in range for it to go off? Like, your range is the huge circle, and his cast area is the small one. Does it all have to be in the large circle? Does the middle of his have to be in range?
You'll notice that the cast circle for summoning Tibbers has a small dot in the very middle of it. That dot is what needs to be within your cast range and what you should be paying close attention to when chasing someone.

It's tempting to cast Tibbers dead-center on top of people, (simply because you control the cast reticule from its center), when they are running but if you do this Annie will continue to walk until that center dot is within her cast range, even if part of her cast reticule is over a champion and could have damaged them.

C00LST0RYBR0

07-04-2010

Ok here's my take on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludex View Post
1) Doran's Ring is pretty sweet and I pick it up first all the time. I've experimented with picking up level 1 boots and a few health pots and I've had a lot of success with that too.
I always go Doran's Ring. More mana Regen = more harassing. Beats saphire after around 3 minutes. You can outplay most mids, if you do it right.

Quote:
2) I love Sorc Boots then Catalyst. I've experimented with tons and tons of Annie item builds and I really agree with this as the first couple ideal items for Annie.
I go straight burst damage on Annie.

Quote:
3) Leveling Q, W, Q, W, W, R, W is definitely the right choice for more damage to champs and clearing the 3 mage creeps in one shot.
I usually don't get E early, unless there is a lot of roaming. You can do the mages at Level 5 with W(lvl 3) then Q(lvl 2) on the big one.

Quote:
4) Agree with 9/0/21, Flat HP Quints, Magic Pen Reds, Mana Regen Yellows, Flat CDR blues, Ignite, Flash
I use Mana regen blues for now. They work fine. CDR might be supior, I havent tested it, as I don't have those.

Quote:
5) I agree that Mejai's isn't that great on Annie in its current state. It has the potential to be great, but you're right, if you're snowballing that much with mejais you should already be winning. The thing with Annie is she doesn't have great survivability or escape mechanics so it usually becomes a dangerous item. I'm more excited to get a faster void staff, which brings me to...
I usually do not get Mejai's Soulstealer.

- It's a 800g investment for nothing until you get kills.
- Kills become a game priority over other things.
- You'll get focused alot more. It's a CC magnet.

Quote:
6) Rod of Ages... I have been torn on this item for so long and depending on the team I go up against, I usually keep my catalyst for a while and get a Banshee's Veil. If it's mostly melee, I go for rod of ages.
I used to play RoA Annie, when I first started playing her. The problem with RoA is, it doesn't help you much if you get focus/CCed and you spend 3080g for only 50 AP (80 AP after another 15 mintues), which almost pays for Haunting Guise + Void Staff (which is 95 AP, 200 health, and end game penetration) or a Zhonya's, which is 150+ AP.

Banshee gives way more survivability and costs less. If I need it, I get that.

Quote:
So my end build order usually goes like this: Doran's Ring, Catalyst, (Rod of Ages if melee heavy), Void Staff, Zhonya's Ring (Banshee Veil if magic/stun/taunt heavy).
- Doran's Ring
- Sorcerer's Shoes
- Haunting Guise
- Zhonya's Ring / Void Staff / Banshee Veil (order varies)

How I play Annie.

Some times there is no way around more survivability (Veigar, among others), however my build focuses completly on maxing burst damage after the laning phase. If you go straight AP you'll do more damage to targets with 30 magical resist, but as soon as there are two or more Merc Treads and an Aegis on the enemy team (which will be soon, around level 10-11), they willl survive your burst, which is exactly what you don't want.
If I'm not completly confident that my primary targets won't go over 30 resist, I get Hauting Guise, which is 95% of the time (you'll have the highest burst on 40-70 resist targets with this item). After that I get Zhonya's unless they stack resist in which case I get Void Staff first. If casters hurt alot get Negatron Cloak right away, which will mitigate 30% of the damage.

LifeStealr

07-06-2010

I've got over 250 games on Annie. Main difference between my build/play style and this guide is I go all CD runes and I always go Mejai's. Even when I'm not getting the kills I get 15/20 assists per game. I haven't had a game yet where Mejai's was a bad decision. I think this mostly relates to the fact that I go cleanse/flash. I find ignite isn't worth it late game and cleanse is so OP. I can't count the number of times it has saved me from dieing, I even use it to initiate if the other team has been using an arrow or taric stun to initiate fights. Stun -> Cleanse -> Tibers -> Run back -> Come back in spamming AOE. Always works for me. And dorian's ring is always a good decision on pretty much every caster. Delays catalyst but if you get a kill because you have the extra ap and mana ticks then doesn't that make up for it?

C00LST0RYBR0

07-06-2010

Here's a good quote of why I don't like RoA on Annie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveSeven View Post
I started out building Rod of Ages on every caster as a newer player. The more I play the game, the less often I build it. I find that the concept of Rod of Ages goes contrary to the role that most casters fulfill on a team.

Rod of Ages is only as cost efficient as people make it out to be if you're planning on itemizing for mana. It also makes you wait for your AP. Most nuking archetype casters can't afford to wait for any stats, and most nukers (like Annie) have comparatively poor AP ratios so Magic Penetration needs to take precedence over AP.

The other problem with building RoA on a caster like Annie is that it's a huge initial investment, and your stats are comparatively poor right when you buy it. As a nuker your job is to go kill things, and you've just spent 3k gold on only 50 AP worth of actual killing power. You don't need survivability early, especially not as a nuker. You need kills early so that you can start snowballing and be useful mid to late game. If you were spending all that gold on magic pen and AP you'd have way more offensive punch, and a comparatively much better chance of getting kills to buy survivability later on.

The final problem that I have with RoA with Annie is that people don't always think through what an item is for. As many people have said, Rod of Ages is a very 'cost-effective' item. The problem lies in the fact that people just look at the gold numbers and the stats, and never actually think about whether they NEED the stats an item is giving. You are paying a lot of gold on Rod of Ages for the mana that you get from it. Mana that as Annie, you won't need until much later on in the game. On a nuker, an item that is REALLY cost effective in my mind, is one that makes you do your job much more effectively for what you pay for it, such as the amazing deal that is Sorceror's Shoes.

Increasingly I find that the game doesn't mesh well with Rod of Ages as an item. There are many characters that thrive primarily on a level/kill advantage, and will actually decrease dramatically in effectiveness as the game drags on and people catch up to them in level. Nukers suffer from this more than most other characters, as past 16th level there is no way to dramatically improve their damage, and people tend to start buying magic resist if you're still doing well. Nukers are all about capitalizing on your early game, and if you itemize for endgame, I find you usually won't have an early game.
The thing with Mejai's is...

You don't need it if you are winning.
You rather need survivability if you aren't.
And it set's you back on killing power, until you have 6 stacks.
It gets you focused really hard if you have 10+ stacks.

Once Flash is gone, I will probably run Ghost/Ignite or Cleanse/Ignite.

I have gotten so many First Bloods in the middle lane, which would have been impossible without Ignite. Soon Cleanse won't clear Ignite anymore... which is another reason to have it. Sometimes I wish I did have Cleanse (around 20% of my games, the tougher ones), but a Caster/Nuker shouldn't need it. Cleanse gets you out of situations you shouldn't be in the first place. It makes me play more sloppy, because I have it, which is bad.

Most games are decided within the first 15 minutes. I emphasize on this with my build.

SapphireJay

Master Recruiter

07-06-2010

I used to win a lot with Annie, but when I reached mid elo I started losing every game. Now I can't wait to try your strategy.

I have a (rather specific) question though. Have you ever had Annie v.s. Sivir mid? How do you respond to a pushing Sivir that uses spell shield well? (It's really hard to land q-stun, and Sivir pushes means I am always competing with my tower for minion kills.)

Thanks!

C00LST0RYBR0

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireJay View Post
I used to win a lot with Annie, but when I reached mid elo I started losing every game. Now I can't wait to try your strategy.

I have a (rather specific) question though. Have you ever had Annie v.s. Sivir mid? How do you respond to a pushing Sivir that uses spell shield well? (It's really hard to land q-stun, and Sivir pushes means I am always competing with my tower for minion kills.)

Thanks!
Ok let me answer this one. Most annoying Sivir's are the ones with Meki Pendant.
Sivir is one of the harder mids, if she is good. You want to bait her Spellshield. Kite a bit, walk in on her and shoot her with Q. She should Spellshield, that's fine. Go on farming. Now next time you go in on shoot a creep with Q, that's close to her, sometime they use it just as you walk at em. Do this at 4 stack counter. Now you have the stun ready and she is out of spell shield. Either hit her with Q and W or deny her some exp for 20 seconds.

The other Sivir I see is the "Vampiric Scepter" Sivir. Harassing her is hard because she will leech back alot of health. However she will run out of mana quickly. Try getting her health and spell shield down before you hit level 6, so you can kill her with a combo.

Obviously you need to avoid her skillshot, as it does alot of damage starting with the second level.

AIM7Sparrow

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireJay View Post

Thanks!
Yeah, I've played against good Sivirs and they are actually rather a piece of cake to lane against in all honesty.

You need to be constantly harassing with your auto attack. You out-range Sivir by 250 and have better nuking power so you have a huge advantage. Always keep max range when harassing, especially with your auto-attack. You'll be surprised how easy it is to bait even good Sivirs into using spell shield by just clicking auto-attack on them from out of range. They will see your character glow and run at them and think a spell is coming their way. Even at the highest levels I played at people just couldn't contain themselves and prematurely pressed spell shield against my auto attacks sometimes. It was pretty funny to be honest. That's the best way of baiting shield.

Now, every now and then you might face someone with superb reflexes who can shield any Q you throw at them. Don't worry, we still have advantage. Give them a Pyromania x4 Q and let them shield it. If they don't, toss on an auto attack and there's some free harass for you, if they do, you keep following and hit them with W stun. Q should cooldown soon and then you can hit them with that again and an auto attack too. Thanks to our mana regen runes, doran's ring, and utility mastery, well will be able to compete even with Meki Pendant Sivirs who spell shield well. Also, shield's cooldown is pretty long. Keep track of the time and use it to your advantage to get some worry-free harass on her.

As for general laning, you should usually be pushing past your creep line and keeping her at bay with auto-attacks and spellpower. Her nuke is easy to dodge and even if it hits you one way every now and then it shouldn't be causing you too much trouble. Once you hit 6 she's major screwed because she won't be able to shield your bear drop on anything but a guess (if you aren't too obvious about it at running straight at her from out of the brush or something of course.)

TsurugiHikari

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

Nice post and advice, Sniperness. I was hoping someone would answer that too.

Although I have problems with some stealth characters and probably Katrina and Pantheon. For Stealth characters, would it be wise to get the vision wards for stealth characters in the late early game onwards or concentrate on the item build first? Also for Pantheon ultimate and Katrina's Shunpo, any advice on how to deal with them? Not too sure what's a good way to counter them at the moment. Usually Pantheon ultimate, in my elo level games, end up being used for setting up ganks and Katrina's Shunpo usually ends up taking a chunk of my life, if she used it properly.

Hoping for someone to answer this one. Going to search the thread if someone has answered it though.

One other question that has been bugging though. Just say if you already have a Doran Ring and Boots - that was mentioned in the guide - on Annie and you had just about enough to buy Zhonya's Ring. Would you buy Zhonya's Ring first or is there a better way to spend that Gold on items. There was times I ended up just following the typical build since there was a Pantheon or Katrina in the game or other melee characters. But if I'm dealing with something like Olaf or 4 carries, casters or melees, and a tank. Is there's a good item build to adjust for the situation?

So far my build ended up something like this for the following situation:
- Mage team with a Pantheon/Katrina or both: Same as the guide except build Zhonya's Ring first, skip Rod of Ages and build magic penetration items and perhaps a GA when game goes over time.
- Tank team with Katrina/Pantheon: Follow normal build till Zhonya's Ring, get GA if dying a lot or switch to more AP heavy items to boost her damage.
- Team with Katrina, Pantheon, Annie, Shaco and Warwick: Follow same build but attempt to rush build first 2 to 3 items on guide depending on gold then build either AP heavy or survivability depending on situation.

Is this build a good build to use? So far I got a lot of Pantheon and Katrina's in my games and a few stealth players and Garun players. Just wondering.

Post Script: I thought I might as well ask if there's a better way than changing the runes that has been mentioned in this guide. Mastery, sure I can change it but so far I am stick with with the guide's mastery so far as well. 9:0:21 one though. Although if runes really has something to do with it, then go for it.