[Guide] Advanced Annie - Be the Boss

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spiffy McBang

09-18-2010

Heh, keeps being me up in here, but anyway... are you noticing it seems to be tougher to mid Annie, in terms of finding a good matchup? I've been seeing a lot of Kog'maws, Vlads, Mords... not unbeatable, but champs with a serious advantage in either range or survivability. I've actually been running Trist a lot, Annie very little, because my teams constantly have either no carries (so I play one) or 3-4 (so we need a tank), but right now I think Annie might be more valuable as a side laner because of her stun.

Siky

09-18-2010

I've been trying Annie and I just notice I really have no ability to survive a team fight after initiating without my team mates either protecting me or just wiping the enemy team immediately... is that normal or are there things I can do to prevent myself from basically dying every team fight after dropping my stun combo and usually a 2nd stun? It seems like no matter what I do, once I drop my stun and the fight doesn't end I know I'm basically going to die unless my team mates stun/silence and kills any person that wants my head.

Maybe I'm sticking around too long or maybe I should be retreating immediately after my combo and then pick my shots after when my CDs come up? Even with RoA, Banshee's and Zhonya's I still die pretty much 50% of the time I'm in a team fight that I let a tank or initiator lead into. Advice needed.

Spiffy McBang

09-19-2010

I'm not the expert, and my experience consists solely of Normal solo queue games, so keep that in mind:

Generally, late game, you should drop your combo and run for the hills if they so much as look as you funny, because you have to survive those few seconds before you can do anything useful again. Keep Tibbers on someone, obviously, but otherwise scram.

As for surviving, Banshee's is nice and all, but consider that the more damage you do, the faster the enemy team will have to scoot. The Banshee's may actually be hurting you a little; people know Annie's combo and when to jump on you, so you have to either force them to run or make it easier for your team to protect you by dropping the enemies' health as far as possible. This is dependent on the other team's makeup to an extent, though- if you've got five 2500+ hp champs on the other side, you're basically a stunbot unless you roll with something like double Archangel's and a lot of mana stacks from the Tears. In that case sometimes you just have to Tibbers stun and let your team rush in before throwing the rest of your spells at them. (It's very possible Sniper might disagree, but that's been my experience. It keeps me up and lets me keep chucking, which is usually my priority.) Occasionally, if the teamfight is very slow to start and minions keep wandering through, I might Q stun somebody to spook them a little and then rebuild a few stacks of Pyromania as quickly as possible. Should they attack when you're at three stacks, there's nothing wrong with going Q -> Tibbers stun, and in that case they're more likely to be grouped.

Also, are you aiming for a squishy target that may be deeper in the pack, or the lead? It's no good to combo a tank loaded with MR, obviously, but sometimes the enemy is set up so that your only realistic options are bomb the tank safely or bomb the squishy and probably die. It sucks if you're the only viable initiator, but in this case I tend to be patient and look for a spot where someone even a little squishy gets too far forward. In the back and forth that people do before a team fight starts, the wrong person ends up at or near the front at some point. If you can jump on them- maybe even using Flash- you might end up at serious risk but you're also nearly guaranteed to put them out of the fight, either through death or dangerously low HP. The exception would be if it's someone like Tristana, who late game will almost always have a Bloodthirster and can rack up health at a safe distance quickly. But those champs are usually the ones you'll kill.

At some level, though, your team has to protect you. If they're all scared of a fight, then initiating basically puts you 1v5, and you're not supposed to survive that.

AIM7Sparrow

09-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siky View Post
I've been trying Annie and I just notice I really have no ability to survive a team fight after initiating without my team mates either protecting me or just wiping the enemy team immediately... is that normal or are there things I can do to prevent myself from basically dying every team fight after dropping my stun combo and usually a 2nd stun? It seems like no matter what I do, once I drop my stun and the fight doesn't end I know I'm basically going to die unless my team mates stun/silence and kills any person that wants my head.

Maybe I'm sticking around too long or maybe I should be retreating immediately after my combo and then pick my shots after when my CDs come up? Even with RoA, Banshee's and Zhonya's I still die pretty much 50% of the time I'm in a team fight that I let a tank or initiator lead into. Advice needed.
Keep in mind that Annie fills two roles in teamplay, initiator and follow-up. If you find yourself not being able to stick around in team-fights because you drop too fast, then you need to assume to role of a follow-up and wait until somebody else has thrown down some crowd control and initiated before you single out your prime target to combo them. Hit Zhonya's immediately after doing so to save yourself from retaliation and if need be also flash out immediately. This will force enemies to use their CC on other teammates and you can now come back in for a e->q->w second AoE stun.

AIM7Sparrow

09-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy McBang View Post
Heh, keeps being me up in here, but anyway... are you noticing it seems to be tougher to mid Annie, in terms of finding a good matchup? I've been seeing a lot of Kog'maws, Vlads, Mords... not unbeatable, but champs with a serious advantage in either range or survivability. I've actually been running Trist a lot, Annie very little, because my teams constantly have either no carries (so I play one) or 3-4 (so we need a tank), but right now I think Annie might be more valuable as a side laner because of her stun.
Miss Fortune is quite the ***** when it comes to solo mid and Vlad and Mord will always be trouble but Annie is still just as powerful. Nobody beats her at level 6. If you need to, just hold out and farm until then. Don't entice the enemy to engage you if they are just farming and you're afraid they could give you trouble. Once you hit 6, you automatically create a zone of fear around you which should be equal to your combined flash + R range. Trade harass with enemies and whittle them down until you can 1 shot combo them. Depending on their runes and starting items you might even be able to take them from full to flat if you properly combo with an ignite and auto-attacks.

Genobeam

09-20-2010

Simply the best guide I've read. I started Annie back at level 5, read this guide, and I can't remember the last time I lost mid without a gank being involved. So I figured I'd ask a few questions that I was curious about.

I'm level 21 right now with 9 0 12; should I sacrifice my offense masteries for a 21 in utility? I've been considering it, but that 15% ArmorPen is making me hesitate. Should I just keep 9 in offense, and wait till level 30?

The second is ganking-oriented. I was wondering about how I should help gank as Annie. Are there any kind of techniques or areas you prefer to use? Do you go for a gank right after you get first blood? Half the time I just end up meeting someone in the bushes, and end up scaring them off while mid enjoys a bountiful harvest of minions.

The final is what you said about teams being unable to act on Annie's carry early game. I play with my friends usually, and while they are pretty good at acting upon it, I still think more could be done. What do you like to see your team do when you play Annie?

Thanks for your time, and this great guide.

AIM7Sparrow

09-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genobeam View Post
Simply the best guide I've read. I started Annie back at level 5, read this guide, and I can't remember the last time I lost mid without a gank being involved. So I figured I'd ask a few questions that I was curious about.

I'm level 21 right now with 9 0 12; should I sacrifice my offense masteries for a 21 in utility? I've been considering it, but that 15% ArmorPen is making me hesitate. Should I just keep 9 in offense, and wait till level 30?

The second is ganking-oriented. I was wondering about how I should help gank as Annie. Are there any kind of techniques or areas you prefer to use? Do you go for a gank right after you get first blood? Half the time I just end up meeting someone in the bushes, and end up scaring them off while mid enjoys a bountiful harvest of minions.

The final is what you said about teams being unable to act on Annie's carry early game. I play with my friends usually, and while they are pretty good at acting upon it, I still think more could be done. What do you like to see your team do when you play Annie?

Thanks for your time, and this great guide.
I would recommend getting the 21 utility tree first. If you think about it, your main targets are squishies without that much MR and 15% off a small number makes a small difference. I'd much prefer the 15% off summoner spell cooldown times.

As for ganking, I usually try to look for one after my first trip back to base, (which is also usually after I first blood my opponent.) An easy way is to go around the back of bottom lane if you're purple team or top lane if you're blue.

And as for the last one I was just referring to people being bad. I'd like to see them carry late game and kill ****. I did my job early game by taking out their mid carry. Without them having a farmed damage dealer our carries should have the advantage, especially after I help them with ganks. Sadly it rarely works out that way though.

Thanks for your support, good luck!

Oddoad

09-30-2010

Good guide, just wanted to give you props, I use it often when playing Annie, who is the only char I play. although I am branching out to sion.

I don't start with Dorans though, I start with the mana stone for the ROA and 2 health pots. Allowing me to be agressive in any lane, and not have to port back until I have the 1100 required for the magic pen boots. Then depending on the game and if I absolutly need it(Sometimes that extra health is critical early game), I either buy my first wand or start moving up the ladder with the health stone and so on until I get my ROA, I try to get my ROA as early as I can because of the obvious benefits. then I buy my elixer and start work on my zhonyas.

AIM7Sparrow

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddoad View Post
Good guide, just wanted to give you props, I use it often when playing Annie, who is the only char I play. although I am branching out to sion.

I don't start with Dorans though, I start with the mana stone for the ROA and 2 health pots. Allowing me to be agressive in any lane, and not have to port back until I have the 1100 required for the magic pen boots. Then depending on the game and if I absolutly need it(Sometimes that extra health is critical early game), I either buy my first wand or start moving up the ladder with the health stone and so on until I get my ROA, I try to get my ROA as early as I can because of the obvious benefits. then I buy my elixer and start work on my zhonyas.
Doran's Ring > Blue Crystal.

You will get out-laned against any competent opponent who realizes they have a health advantage on you.

Gunflame

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperness View Post
Doran's Ring > Blue Crystal.

You will get out-laned against any competent opponent who realizes they have a health advantage on you.
Actually that's not true:

- 2 health potion = +400 HP (from regen).
- Doran with 1 health potion = +120 doran and +200 HP from regen

Blue Crystal wins!

There are some situations were this change though:
- Tristana/Pirate/Kat with their Healing debuffs
- You gotta heal early
- You gotta use HP quints for +500 initial HP

If they hit you for 250-300 damage just use your potion. Don't wait until you are in the single digits to use it