Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Advanced Annie - Be the Boss

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ceejee

08-12-2010

Quote:
Sniperness:
Zhonya's is definitely worth it. Remember that come late game, you aren't going to be getting triple kills or anything. It is much easier to defend against magic damage than it is to inflict it in terms of gold spent, especially with Annie. There's nothing wrong with realizing that you are indeed going to be a stunbot lategame.

However, that being said, enemy carries can't expect to stack pure magic resist and still pose a threat. This is why mages like Annie pose a serious threat to any team. Your goal should be instantly remove an enemy carry from the enemy picture as to give your own free reign in the fight. Zhonya's allows us to achieve just that, pop the invulnerability when the enemies jump on us, and proceed to stun down other threats and do some more heavy bursting.

I do not recommend frozen heart at all. You should be having around 30% CDR with my recommended runes, masteries, and blue elixers. The golem will cap you out too and you are usually a top contender for the buff.

Makes a ton of sense, thanks.

My issue was that I'd rack up a good amount of kills, have a great KD, and slowly watch it go to the gutter as the game progressed. Though... that's the point of Annie. Trying to go survival is missing the point. Death in late game means nothing to us, as we should already have been fed early to mid, as long as we can invalidate their carry.

AIM7Sparrow

08-13-2010

Quote:
Ceejee:
Makes a ton of sense, thanks.

My issue was that I'd rack up a good amount of kills, have a great KD, and slowly watch it go to the gutter as the game progressed. Though... that's the point of Annie. Trying to go survival is missing the point. Death in late game means nothing to us, as we should already have been fed early to mid, as long as we can invalidate their carry.

Absolutely correct. And I'd just like to add that we still do some insane damage late-game, don't get me wrong. It's just that less and less characters fall to a one-hit combo the longer the game progresses. At around level 9-11 all but the tankiest of champions will fall to a full combo from full HP usually. End-game only the squishiest of them still do. Thankfully, our dominance of the early game makes it so that these squishies won't be able to afford proper survivability. That's the whole point with Annie. Dominate the late game by denying the enemy early game.

AIM7Sparrow

08-13-2010

Made an update about recent patch changes to Tibber's mechanics. He totally screws us over in the jungle now.

godhunter1053

08-15-2010

Hey, first off just want to tip my hat to you for this guide. I've been playing annie for ages and maining her since season 1 started, and this still gave me some nice tips and reminded me the power of the constantly blue glow and the tibbers golem after the kill. I usually just try and get in some pot shots on the tower after I get my lvl 6 kill.

I have my own build down on how the dark child should be played, and I want to get your two cents on this idea:

Instead of rushing the sorc treads for the mpen, I have recently picked up ghost for move speed and grabbing a 1st item guise as it gives the same mpen plus a respectable amount of ap letting me get that early advantage even earlier. I understand the utility of flash, especially on annie, but I also tend to find the ability to ghost away usefully longer in the game than flash, especially since I don't get boots till I get guise and sometimes even my mejias (only in special case games).

I also find that both mana and health on her aren't really that powerful. With careful last hitting and mp/5 runes I never run out of mana until late game sustained pushes, and thats even without blue, and since we are all of the idea that annie should be bursting then bailing, I find the health is usually just wasted since you get insta dead no matter how much health you have and the zring active is better survivability.

I'm planning on making a guide around these two ideas and want to get your obvious annie expertise to point out any flaws I'm really missing here. No matter what though, thanks for the guide, this is fantastic.

TsurugiHikari

08-17-2010

Quote:
Sniperness:
Made an update about recent patch changes to Tibber's mechanics. He totally screws us over in the jungle now.

Really? Mind pointing out why? Just curious since I used tibbers to do all sort of errands.

LolCatIsLol

08-17-2010

Quote:
Sniperness:
After a game against him last night though it just clicked. His ability to push is his own downfall. Think about it. At around level 5, he pretty much instantly clears creep waves right? His creeps then push towards your tower where they take at least 2 tower hits each to die. After that the new wave of creeps will start making it to the middle of the lane again. Does anyone see it yet? During this entire time, his shield is passively draining. Now here's what you do. You lead in front of your creep line and stun combo him before he even gets to your new creeps. You'll take off his life and not his shield because it's pretty much all drained at this point and he can't reach your creeps. Keep repeating this process and pretty soon you can whittle him down and either zone/force him back to base or (flash) R Stun combo him for the kill if he doesn't pick up on it.

A good Mord goes to the wraith camps between creep waves to earn more gold and to keep his shield up. What, then, ought to be done?

godhunter1053

08-17-2010

@LolCatlsLol: I'd imagine you'd do the same thing. The wraiths aren't up after every wave (I don't think), so just check is shield before you go to do your thing. It'll take longer, but probably yield equally good results.

AIM7Sparrow

08-17-2010

Quote:
godhunter1053:
Hey, first off just want to tip my hat to you for this guide. I've been playing annie for ages and maining her since season 1 started, and this still gave me some nice tips and reminded me the power of the constantly blue glow and the tibbers golem after the kill. I usually just try and get in some pot shots on the tower after I get my lvl 6 kill.

I have my own build down on how the dark child should be played, and I want to get your two cents on this idea:

Instead of rushing the sorc treads for the mpen, I have recently picked up ghost for move speed and grabbing a 1st item guise as it gives the same mpen plus a respectable amount of ap letting me get that early advantage even earlier. I understand the utility of flash, especially on annie, but I also tend to find the ability to ghost away usefully longer in the game than flash, especially since I don't get boots till I get guise and sometimes even my mejias (only in special case games).

I also find that both mana and health on her aren't really that powerful. With careful last hitting and mp/5 runes I never run out of mana until late game sustained pushes, and thats even without blue, and since we are all of the idea that annie should be bursting then bailing, I find the health is usually just wasted since you get insta dead no matter how much health you have and the zring active is better survivability.

I'm planning on making a guide around these two ideas and want to get your obvious annie expertise to point out any flaws I'm really missing here. No matter what though, thanks for the guide, this is fantastic.

My view on Flash vs. Ghost is the following. Flash = Early game and Ghost = Late game. The simple truth to the matter is that Ghost does not have any element of surprise. You won't be getting that unsuspected burst combo on most solomids with ghost. Not only that but just the simple fact that you have flash means opponents have to stay out of your combined flash + tibbers range, making zoning that much easier.

Late game though, ghost is much more useful in teamfights I'll give you that. I'm of the firm belief though that Annie's focus is shutting down enemy early games so that you'll dominate the late game. Her burst nature also fits well with a flash->combo->retreat.

Guise isn't a bad item. The only problem with it is, along with most of those mid-tier items, is that it delays your big power items. RoA and Zhonya's are the two power items for Annie. I always rush sorc shoes first. +2 move speed and negating 30 magic resist that early is a big deal. With boots 1 + guise you're essentially spending more money for the same thing sorc shoes would give you. That early AP doesn't really matter and neither does the extra early HP. Annie's spells gain their power primarily through levels and secondarily through AP/MPen. The early HP is also kind of a wasted stat because Annie is the queen of early game. Nobody can really mess with her and expect to live that early.

Mana and HP are definitely two important stats to have. Careful last hitting is great, we all do it. But you don't get a refund on your mana from using spells on enemies. Especially mid to late game, your mana costs become a bit heavy. Getting that RoA lets you not have to port to base after every gank to replenish mana and lets you keep spamming spells in teamfights thanks to its HP and mana pool. Too many Annie's try to play glass cannon and they all instantly shatter when that Warwick or Kassadin hops on their ass or something.

And where did the bursting and bailing come from? That's one of the reasons I never recommend Mejai's. It gives people the wrong mentality. I never leave a teamfight unless I'm being chased to my death and even then I try to add on a bit more damage with Tibbers as I'm running away.

Hope my feedback helped. Thanks for your support!

AIM7Sparrow

08-17-2010

Quote:
TsurugiHikari:
Really? Mind pointing out why? Just curious since I used tibbers to do all sort of errands.

Well I explained it in my OP but he no longer attracts minion aggro and is also capable of stealing jungle buffs from us. ****ing tibbers...

godhunter1053

08-17-2010

I say burst in bail, as in if you're doing your job, after your burst, you'll get focused. I took as a given that you would stay in the fight so long as you're not being slaughtered, I just find micro-ing tibbers while dancing out of range for cd's is more effective way for me to teamfight with her. Hence burst and "bail."

As for the ghost v flash debate, I'm inclined to agree with you in almost all of what you said. Due to the shockingly large range of tibbers, unless the opponent is actively paying attention to your positioning a ghost will close that gap almost as quickly as a flash, and allow you to more easily stay in Q range in case they come out with 100 health, whereas I find flash is burst and pray you did enough. Though while ghost can give you that surprise element, I'll concede that flash is the king of OMGWTFBBQ surprise ganks.

Your guise argument makes sense to me, and if I didn't hate the sheer slow feel of RoA I'd completely agree with you. Levels make annie scary but I think we can agree that ap and mpen aren't bad, and I find that the extra little umph allows me to stay scary for that bit longer. Plus I think I should mention that my goal with annie is get stack ap and mpen early, then once I loose my level advantage, then I grab some mana/health/defensive items.

Part of what lets me play glass cannon early is that I know how to play annie, and I'm not going to jump on people when there is a WW or Kass mia, but I also find RoA to be the absolute slowest AP item, and I can't stand that when I play. I don't like waiting for the long return on the item, and as for the mana, like I said, I grab some late game mana for the sustained pushes. I find that as long as I have enough ap for the my full combo (~500 with lvl 5 Q, E, and 3 tibs) I can sit and wait for tibbers then kill someone. The amount of mana that you regen with runes/masteries/dorans as you run down the river to gank someone is usually enough to full combo and kill. I don't deny that mana and health are helpful down the home stretch, but early game I don't find them nearly as useful. Then again, I don't mind staying out with under half health and mana, as it invites ganks which turn into free gold.

You make really good points about the utility of RoA and the nature of Annie's power though, so I may try a RoA build in my next game. I just find it to be lackluster if there is a single stumble or gank on you, as the time invested in the item is incredibly high. If you're doing well though, and early RoA has the potential to be very powerful on her *shrug*

Thanks again, your feedback is extremely helpful.