How do I shot lamp? (Jax Advice Wanted)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ViashinoWizard

11-01-2011

I want to pick up Jax during this free week, but I'm uncertain on what runes/masteries to go with. I've looked at some guides but I get conflicting advice.

Rune-wise, I see a lot of flat AD reds, but I don't have any and can't afford to buy new ones right now (unless I waste IP on tier 1 runes) so I've been using ArPen. Dodge yellows are a no-brainer. I've been using scaling MR for blues, but I also see scaling AP. I don't have a lot of options for quints. Flat AD is reccomended in several places, but again I can't afford to get any. I substituted flat AP and a tier 2 MS quint, though I also have ArPen and some tier 1 HP quints.

I see people either go 21/9/0 with Ignite or 9/21/0 with Exhaust. I've been trying the former but I feel very fragile early game, especially since I don't have the AD reds that are suggested with it.

Also, do I build Rageblade or not? This seems to have something to do with which mastery set-up is recommended. Do I still want to rush Cutlass > Gunblade after nerfs?

theplqa

11-01-2011

Yeah Flat AD are the best reds for Jax.If you don't have them Magic Pen is the next best choice.
Dodge yellows are a must.
Blues honestly don't matter.Run whatever you want to-Flat MR or AP,Scaling MR or AP.Really just personal preference.
Quints.Flat AD or MS are the best.Flat AP is also a viable choice.Or even Health if that's all you have.Once again comes down to preference.

Masteries are personal preference.9-21-0(slightly more aggressive) or 0-21-9(slightly more passive) is the safest route.21-9-0(extremely aggressive) or 21-0-9(passive-er) if you're confident in your abilities.You can mix it up if you want.

Summoners are ghost/flash and ignite/exhaust.Personal preference once again.Grab one of each.

People didn't rush Cutlass first before the nerf,it was better to rush Revolver instead.The only times where you should have rushed Cutlass is when you were ahead by a lot.
Now after the nerf Gunblade isn't even close to what it was before.Just get Revolver into Will of the Ancients.After this just build AP.Rylai's,Deathcap,Abyssal/Zhonya's.Hybrid Jax isn't as good as it was before.

And yes.Grab Rageblade after Will of the Ancients.If you rush it you won't have sustain.

ViashinoWizard

11-01-2011

Do I not want to get a lifesteal item then? Jax has a really limited mana pool, but I guess the proc from Relentless Assault will give me some sustain on autoattacks, unless it doesn't proc spellvamp like Rumble's passive.

Also, what's good to start with? Boots + 3 pots?

theplqa

11-01-2011

Jax doesn't need lifesteal.Since he is now AP the spellvamp from his ulti and spells is more then enough to make up for the lack of lifesteal.Jax never dealt that much damage with his auto attacks anyways.

Boots+3 pots or Cloth+5 pots(if you want a Ninja Tabi).Ninja Tabi isn't necessary,especially if you have Dodge Runes.

ViashinoWizard

11-01-2011

I see.

What do I want to build after WotA and Rageblade?

julianjuvenile

11-01-2011

Quote:
Jax doesn't need lifesteal.Since he is now AP the spellvamp from his ulti and spells is more then enough to make up for the lack of lifesteal.Jax never dealt that much damage with his auto attacks anyways.
i think the contrary: jax's auto attacks are very strong, especially if you get rageblade. i always rush that before i rush gunblade. which i would still believe is viable. yes they nerfed gunblade, but its now more appropiate stat-for-goldwise. imo, they should've only nerfed the ad and ap to what they are now, but not the spellvamp and lifesteal.

for summoner spells, i grab cleanse and ghost because the enemy WILL exhaust you. and ghost to chase someone when leapstrike is on cooldown.

theplqa

11-01-2011

His auto attacks are average.Not really weak but not strong either.And you must consider that he has 2 attack modifiers that don't benefit from lifesteal,his W and R.Lifesteal just doesn't seem worth it.

killerb0y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2011

Actually, Cutlass first is because he has a 1.0 AD ratio on his Q. Also, the active slow is awesome.

Runes - I'm running ArPen reds, Dodge seals (must), MR blues, AD quints. You can play around with everything besides the Dodge seals. From what you mention, I'd probably go with AP quints or HP quints.

Skillwise: R>Q>W>E

Masteries: I always run 21/9/0. Jax is naturally tanky because of his passive, so I like going more offense. If you go 21 in Offense, don't forget to get the 15% magic pen. Whatever masteries you end up using, 9 in defense (for Dodge and Nimbleness) is mandatory.

Summoners: Flash (duh) and whatever else you want. Ignite and Exhaust are good; I run Teleport.

I almost always get Tabi - though I can see Merc's being good. I've found that even after the nerf, Gunblade is very strong on Jax - if you chain your abilities properly, you can burst someone for 1k damage. Pretty ridiculous considering Jax also has one of the strongest sustained DPS with 10 stacks on his ult. After Gunblade, you have all the sustain you'll ever need, and then you can get more tank/DPS items - Atma's, Rylai's, Void Staff/Abyssal Scepter, Rageblade, IE, whatever.

Starting items really depend on who you're laning against - boots+3pots, Cloth+5pots, Null mantle+2 pots, I've even started Doran's blade.

Good luck with it!

Ebonclaw

11-02-2011

Since the Gunblade nerf, I've actually been running him full AD, rather than full AP - since WotA is a crappy item choice for him, but Sanguine Blade is quite nice.

I use my Akali Flat Runes page, with 20 Flat AP, 8.5 Flat AD, and then however much Flat Armor/MR. This gives him a very solid stat/damage boost for early game until I actually get some items going. Dodge runes are kind of weak now, with so many sources of Physical damage that cannot be Dodged.

Unless they have an overbearing preponderance of disables, it's Tabi for boots though, I mean, come on.

SticklerMac

11-02-2011

Hi! I play Jax alot, and have since I started playing over a year ago. He was the first champion I bought and he is still my favorite. I dominate with him. For your pleasure, here is my build.

9/21/0 be sure to master exhaust, and get the 15% spell pen. (archaic knowledge) in the offensive tree. Be sure to pick up nimbleness and ardor in the defensive tree.

I use magic pen marks(red), ability power quints, dodge seals(yellow), and ability power glyphs(blues.)

I buy a Doran's ring at start. With this build you will start with around 30 to 40 ability power, as well as around 750 health. Your early game is strong. I take counterattack at level 2, and empower at level 3.

The only items Jax really needs are the following and I buy them in this order exactly.

Ninja tabai
Hextech revolver
Guinsoo's rageblade
Rabbadon's deathcap
Upgrade your hextech revolver to a gunblade.

I cannot stress enough the importance of Guinsoo's Rageblade. This item IS Jax in my opinion. It gives you AD, AP, AS, and health(from your passive.) It is the best investment in gold you could make and it is pretty cheap. The attack speed stacking works PERFECTLY with your ultimate. Utilize this synergy. Faster attack speeds mean more 1-2-KO combos.

I know that since the recent patches alot of people have been building Jax straight AD like a tryndamere. I disagree with this build having playing both hybrid, ad, and ap. This build is somewhat of a hybrid with a bit more AP. I have absolutely shut out a ton of AD Jax's lately, his damage just doesnt scale as well.

If you manage to buy all of the above items and still have time left in the game, get a phantom dancer. With phantom dancer and the above listed build, you will have astounding hp, ability power, attack damage, and attack speed.