Bot changeup

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maresta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2011

When playing vs bots, how come they're almost always the same ones? I'd like to vs a Jenna bot, or an Akali bot, or even a Sivir, Anivia, Tristana, Poppy, Jax, or any others. I'm tired of fighting Miss Fortune, Renekton, Ryze, Annie, Ashe, Soraka, Cho'Gath, Taric, Nunu, Warwick, Shen, and Trundle bots. I fight bots cuz I feel like I'm not skilled enough to go PvP and don't wanna drag others down by being a newb on PvP.

pinguinofuego

11-01-2011

Unsolicited advice incoming:

I know this has very little to dO with your question, but only play repeated bot games if you never plan to pvp. The only way to improve pvp is to do it a lot, and yes, get your face kicked in some. Matchmaking will prevent you from being placed over your head too much.

Incidentally, it would indeed be nice to have different bots to play against. I use coop and custom bot games to test out new builds and jungle routes.

Clyceer

11-01-2011

I'd imagine the reason there are only a few bots is that writing AI is hard. You'll notice that, according to the purple difficulty bars, the most difficult to play champion that is used by a bot is Cho'Gath (70/100), and the bot really doesn't do too a good job with Rupture. I doubt picking mostly easier to understand champions with a low number of skillshots was an accident, both for ease of programming and so players could understand what the bots were doing. It could be tricky to write AI that decides the optimal time to Rocket Jump with Tristana, or the best time and place to put a wall with Anivia. Of course, one advantage the programmer has is that the decision doesn't need to always be the best, as these are beginner and intermediate bots, but then, one must consider that sometimes it's harder to find the kinda right-ish thing to do instead of the actually right thing to do.

I'd guess they also need to keep a certain team comp. The ranged attacker bots likely play with the assumption that they have a healer, so they can be a little aggressive. Note that the composition is always ranged + healer top, mage middle, double tank + melee bot. Some champions might not fit well in one of those roles, such as perhaps Fiddlesticks.

The main reason, though, is likely that there are so many other things that are a priority, and the mode does work, although with only a small amount of variety. Pretty much every patch, if you look at the comments in the patch notes, there are people asking where this bugfix or that skin fix is, where the stealth rework is, and other such things.

Maybe they do have somebody working on it, but even if that is the case, I'd expect a long wait due to difficulty of programming and of making sure the new bots are about as hard as existing bots. Also, it would be hard for multiple programmers to work together on the same bot, I'd think. I should really read The Mythical Man Month sometime.

Saroumanou

12-16-2011

Hi all,

I know there must be a lot of stuff with higher priority but there is more and more champions but still only a few played in bot teams. I would just like to see more diversity there if possible.
thanks Riot,

Saroumanou

donald fidel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2011

The champs selected to be used as bots are basic and recommended ones. The way I see it is that they use these ones to give a basic 5v5 situation. The enemy will have a support, a range, a mage, and two melee champs to keep it even. I agree they should switch it up sometime, but it's bots... if you want a change that bad then play some PvP. (:

-KingOdyssey (Aka, Yisus Christ)

Queen Sejuani

12-17-2011

If you want to get better for PvP and stuff, you should just play Pvp and get it over with. While the matchmaking isn't perfect, you usually get matched with people around your level and skill. You just have to keep playing PvP, rise in levels, and after some time of playing you'll get the basic gameplan down, what others are capable off etc etc.

If you plan on playing bots only, you will not only get any IP or EXP, it is just a waste of time and won't give you any skill.