@Riot - Stop hiding

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

10-31-2011
4 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
This is your decision to make. Matt Marcou admitted live to 15,000+ people that he made the decision and the WCG organizer claimed that they would go either way on the ruling based on his input. Please see begining at 1 hour 11 minutes and approximately 30 seconds: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0DqvmyXzw

This is Matt Marcou claiming that the WCG organizer approached him to make the final decision on the ruling.
It's not going to be productive to get into the semantics of language, and talk about the specific errors that were made on our part. What I can say - is that we made some unfortunate communication missteps which we're going to work to address , and that ultimately the decisions made here were the decisions of the WCG USA

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

10-31-2011
5 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
@Pendragon Why was Jatt allowed to play for USA when he was already representing Canada when the rules clearly stated that you cant do that?
This is a question for WCG.

sleepyj101

10-31-2011

Thanks for coming on and talking to us Pendragon. It's nice to see ya'll are getting things sorted.

Lapays

10-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
This is a question for WCG.
So you're telling me you had no control over Jatt playing for dignitas? That sounds a little skechty.

FireitUp622

10-31-2011

Quote:
We made a number of mistakes here. Largely- - not properly setting up the expectations with our players, and not properly setting up tournament organizations with the right advance guidance to create success.

In this instance a series of poor communication choices were made which ultimately led to a lot of frustration. In the future we intend to hold tournament providers to a higher standard - ensuring that our player-focus is properly represented on anything we put our name on.

The rules themselves, and the interpretation thereof in this case were WCG's rules and WCG's interpretation.

Why were you guys not in the know how? I always hear Riot talking about how they want nothing more than to be a major player in the esports environment (I want this so badly too, I love this game and treat it as a sport, I view the players on the same level I would professional football players) yet Riot seems to be very far out the loop. Poor communication choices should not exist in the world of instantaneous communication. Marcou was clearly uninformed on how the tournament was handled (SoTL episode 12), yet still felt he was capable of making a decision, then when he learned he made a decision on wrong information, he still continued forward by trying to pass the blame. That's what I've taken from this whole experience and it has seriously hurt my respect for Riot. I am a loyal customer that will likely pursue League of Legends until the end of times, this will not change, but it just feels tarnished.

Please, please, stop trying to pass the blame on WCG. Marcou admitted they deferred to his judgment and it was unanimously agreed upon by WCG AND Riot. Yes, WCG requires a LOT of the blame, but Riot has its fair share of blame as well, and when you qualify your statement of, "We made mistakes" with, "but it's WCGs responsibility" it almost feels like you aren't accepting responsibility for your part in this fiasco.

Kabraxis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2011

Quote:
I don't want to disparage the WCG, but I will say that this event has definitely caused us to more closely scrutinize the relationships that we have with tournament providers. We want them to be able to operate autonomously without our help - but at the same time we want to provide them with tools and an environment in which they can be successful.
Did you know that you gave us better information in like 3 posts of 2 sentences each than Riot Marcou has with his entire paragraph laden thread has.

Perhaps you might think about taking over his position....just an idea as I do not think he is performing to ANY standards about now.

DireRaven

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2011

Quote:
I don't want to disparage the WCG, but I will say that this event has definitely caused us to more closely scrutinize the relationships that we have with tournament providers. We want them to be able to operate autonomously without our help - but at the same time we want to provide them with tools and an environment in which they can be successful.
They've proven that they are unable to operate without someone holding their hand. I don't think risking tarnishing your already tarnished brand image is worth it.

Unless WCG turns around and apologizes and sets things straight and fair, (which I don't think they are willing to do) I would quickly pull up my tent and part ways if i were you (Riot), because ultimately the buck stops with Riot, not WCG.

Harky

10-31-2011

Quote:
It's not going to be productive to get into the semantics of language, and talk about the specific errors that were made on our part. What I can say - is that we made some unfortunate communication missteps which we're going to work to address , and that ultimately the decisions made here were the decisions of the WCG USA
This is not some semantic misunderstanding. That is a video clip of a Riot employee doing one of two things.

1. Lying.

2. Claiming to have personally decided the ruling for the WCG.

In either case it is deserving of a public apology to the community and a personal apology to the members of CDE.

Chips and Tea

10-31-2011

Thank you for the replies Pendragon. At least someone at Riot is willing to speak. (Marcou doesn't count)

Kabraxis

10-31-2011

Yes agreed. Thank you for posting Pendragon.