CLG & Dignitas Controversy Spreading to Social Media

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

no0btrap

11-01-2011

If you are forwarding the blame to your business partner what actions are you taking against them and how do you plan to correct this going forward?

Sandster

11-01-2011

I actually prefer that Riot has less of a say in major tournament admins and let the admins handle it themselves, to remain less biased. (Of course, this won't work unless the tourney admins are competent - clearly not the case here.) So trying to let tournament organizers be more autonomous is a noble goal.

HOWEVER, if these admins approach Riot for advice, and you give advice that ultimately leads to an irreversible decision, then you better be prepared to take responsibility for it. How can you POSSIBLY say "contact WCG, it was ultimately their decision" when you clearly had a large influence on the decision that "could have gone either way"?

In no respectable competitive event do you ever replay games after they end. Referees screw up all the time, which is part of sports, but at the end of the day, whatever the ruling is at the end of the game is permanent. We had a perfect game in baseball ruined because a referee had a bad, BAD call, and he was literally in tears apologizing to fans afterwards, but his decision cannot be reversed; no perfect game. That's the type of standard e-sports needs in order to flourish.

In this situation, two teams play the finals mutually agreeing on a bo3 with one team having a 1 game lead. Changing this after games are already played simply destroys the competitive spirit. It is simply laughable that - outside of a DQ - a surrender or destruction of a nexus in the agreed-upon final match does not end the series.

Also - you need to deal with Marcou somehow. "Well, Canada gave us a 1-0 score and one screenshot showing one game. It can be interpreted they they actually won a bo3 and two games with this evidence, so we're going to make an irreversible ruling on a series that is already concluded." Everything he said on SotL smelled of either incompetence or corruption. Even if it were not, that's how it appeared - I hope you realize you need do something about it.

This situation has destroyed Riot's reputation as a fair and competent organization, and possibly damaged all of e-sports as a whole. You had multiple chances to step in and correct it, but with every step you seem to dig yourselves a deeper whole. You still can fix it. I hope you do. Until then, myself and countless others will forever consider Riot and LoL a joke of a competitive sport.

I appreciate to the reds responding to the community, and understand you don't have the power to overturn any decision. But as a company, you guys need to do something.

Also - do you know what happened to the baseball referee? He admitted he screwed up. He was in tears about it. And the next time he umpired a game, fans came to CHEER HIM ON, because of the integrity he swore to uphold by becoming an umpire.

Shaikot

11-01-2011

I do NOT believe that Riot was at fault here at all. I think certain employees may have made comments about things they didn't understand, but that isn't Riot's fault, it's that person's. Riot doesn't run the event, WCG does, and Riot doesn't want to micromanage WCG's event, and I don't think they should. HOWEVER, due to the fact that WCG has changed rules between the time the tournament began and the end (Which is just unbelievable in ANY sport, just incomprehensible), Riot needs to respond. Riot's job isn't to micromanage the tournament, but when THEIR game, THEIR fans, THEIR professional gamers are getting cheated, Riot needs to step in. A few things I think Riot should do:

First thing: Pull League of Legends from WCG. Period. If they cannot run a competent tournament, they don't deserve to use the Riot/League of Legends name. By doing this you protect the rights of your players to have fair and unbiased tournaments. I don't know if people on specific teams have connections with WCG employees, or something along those lines, but it should definitely be investigated. No matter how you look at it, a player was allowed to play on 2 different teams, it was even determined he was wrong for this, and was banned. Banned from 1 team (that was already eliminated, ya, THAT'S not shady >.> ) but STILL ALLOWED TO PLAY ON ANOTHER TEAM! Right there, WCG has made this tournament a joke. If Riot wants to maintain their integrity, the integrity of League of Legends as a e-sport, and the trust of it's players, you must pull League of Legends from WCG right now. You will lose money, and it might hurt for a minute, but you will gain the respect of your players, the respect from the community, and you will show that League of Legends is not a joke, it's a true e-sport.

Secondly: Ensure that there is some person or division to ensure that future tournaments have a solid (and clear) set of rules before allowing an organization to use League of Legends. This will help to prevent a situation like this from happening in the future. While it's not your RESPONSIBILITY to do that, it'll help save yourselves a lot of trouble in the future.

Lastly: Appoint someone to OFFICIALLY speak for Riot, preferably someone who would rather say "I don't know, but I'll get an answer for you and get back to you" than make something up on the fly that is completely incorrect. People who speak and PRETEND to know what they're talking about only make situations worse, find someone who can admit they don't know something before they go spouting off stuff that may or may not be correct. This also will save you huge amounts of pain in the future.

This problem rests fully on WCG, not on riot, (the stuff with Matt Marcou is in-house, and doesn't really have to do with the tournament in my opinion, although he didn't help any, and probably lead to more confusion.) but Riot you need to step up. The problem wasn't your doing, but the solution sure as hell can be yours. You step up and solve this by pulling League of Legends from WCG, and you'll earn the respect of a ****-load of people. Just because you didn't cause the problem doesn't mean you can't solve it.

Baconnaise

11-01-2011

I'm sorry but Riot is partly at fault here. It's there product or game. They are always at least somewhat at fault. The way I look at it is like a car or say a bottle of shampoo. The companies GM and Johnson & Johnson design or formulate the product and outsource the production to some company in China or Mexico or even in the USA. Who gets sued or blamed? Who has to take responsibility? GM and Johnson & Johnson shoulder the load here when something goes bad. It's Riot's problem in part because it's their game and company that sets a certain standard. They chose it and this other entity WCG isn't up to it. Riot must make an attempt to correct things when/where they can.

It's understandable that they can only do so much but they need to show the community (PR specifically) that they don't condone this behavior and make sure it's understood all actions and avenues were exhausted.

Look at what happened to Rick Perry PR wise when he was part of a certain named club that was deemed offensive and possibly racist. It doesn't matter if it was an honest mistake or meant nothing the damage was already done.

Seanman24

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Our responses here are going to be to ensure misinformation about Riot is being corrected. Anything specific to the rules or interpretation of the event are entirely up to WCG, and inquiries about them should be directed there.
Look at this copout. Your company is planning to shell out tens of thousands of dollars for this tournament and you are pointing fingers back at WCG.

Does this company even care about it's image?

You handle this, and every other tournament failure like absolute children.

Riot will never take responsibility for any of their actions because they have no culpability to anyone other than themselves, and the core of this company, starting with it's leadership have proven with almost clear certainty that the only thing that truly matters to them is the bottom line.

Everything else is given lip service.

shlver

11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Again - I'm not here to talk about decisions that were made. These decisions are up to the WCG and I encourage you to contact them with your feedback.

Whether the rules were present and unclear, or not present at all my point still stands - my objective is to create clear rules and hold organizers accountable to their clear rules. There is no doubt that we made an error here in this instance.
Oh bull****. The rules were completely clear. lmfao look at this guy trying to tip toe around the issue not saying anything.

WuTheMonkeyKing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2011

@ PD

Thanks for the response i feel like you actually explained why you messed up and whose fault it was not just saying some pr bs and then letting forums rage about it.