[Guide] Kog the Magic Voidling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Estroy

12-28-2011

I'm looking forward the update!!!, please ;_;

Eledhan

01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estroy View Post
I'm looking forward the update!!!, please ;_;
I'm sorry, but I will no longer be updating my guides. At least for the time being.

However, with Kog'Maw, not much has changed for the guide, just focus on the same items, runes, and masteries.

If your team comp can't protect you, or if you are unable to make it into VERY late game, you will be unable to be very effective in this game.

Good luck!

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2012

Eledhan is right that not much updating is necessary.

I would recommend considering 21 Defense nowdays for masteries. Offense is alright, but more suited for AD or AP, and you are neither. So while the AD boost is helpful for early game harass/lasthit, the crit, lifesteal, etc are mostly wasted.
Utility isn't very useful either. None of the top tier stuff is actually very useful. CDR is ok, but not crucial. Str of Spirit sucks. Only the mana regen and move speed is useful.

Hence I would go 0/21/9 taking the movespeed boosters, mana regen assistance, and general toughening up for the early game.

failphobia

01-10-2012

I'd like to propose the following item set for Kog'Maw (yes it's unusual but it works):

Berseaker's Greaves
Madreds
Warmogs
Force of Nature
Atmas
Frozen Mallet

Putting Force of Nature right after warmogs means that Kog has much more durability between team fights as he has MR and the passive regenerates the HP extra fast.
With this build, 40 minutes into game, Kog'Maw has about 100 armor, about 100 MR, about 3200 HP and almost 200 AD. Even though he deals less DPS, he stays a lot longer in team fights(he's usually the only survivor using this build)so he does more damage overall.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2012

Wow... ok dude. I don't think you read any of the guide at all. Kog Maw has the longest range in the game. A huuuge ranged Ult for harassment and kill securing, and a 740ish range autoattack with a large built-in on-hit magical damage bonus.

Why the hell would you want to take WARMOG/ATMAS followed up by force of nature? That makes no sense whatsoever. Kog wants Attack Speed badly which this doesn't provide much of. He isn't a tank!

Kogs job is to deal heavy damage at extreme range. He doesn't need a whole lot of survivability towards the endgame. In theory his team takes care of him. In practice a bit of toughenign is helpful, but a WitsEnd for MR to avoid burst, a bloodrazor for a bit of armor and a Frozen Mallet is plenty.

Yes...ANY build CAN work, but the point of a guide is to help a player pick the most optimal and beneficial build for a given champ. Tanky DPS Kog just isn't a good use of Kog's abilities.

BlazeSword

03-08-2012

bump

Eledhan

03-11-2012

I am about to update this guide completely. If you are interested, stay tuned.

Eledhan

03-11-2012

Update finished.

Warrrrax

03-12-2012

Yay, update! I think Ill be glad when the meta changes so AS/Onhit Kog mid can be a solid pick again. Right now I have a hard time playing AS/Onhit bottom with a support. I wind up going a wierd hybrid where I take AD runes, go dorans blade, then boots, zerker, another dorans, then a phantom dancer. Most rush a BFSword/IE, but I prefer to take advantage of his Barrage thru attack speed early and mid game.

AS/Onhit is still the highest DPS progression and makes you a big threat mid to late game, IF you can survive the early game. I'd like to hear some tips on how to do that vs a lifestealing, high health (thru dorans) enemy AD carry with armor pen. Especially since their dumb healer can wipe away damage you inflict with a good volley of shots.

Eledhan

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Yay, update! I think Ill be glad when the meta changes so AS/Onhit Kog mid can be a solid pick again. Right now I have a hard time playing AS/Onhit bottom with a support. I wind up going a wierd hybrid where I take AD runes, go dorans blade, then boots, zerker, another dorans, then a phantom dancer. Most rush a BFSword/IE, but I prefer to take advantage of his Barrage thru attack speed early and mid game.

AS/Onhit is still the highest DPS progression and makes you a big threat mid to late game, IF you can survive the early game. I'd like to hear some tips on how to do that vs a lifestealing, high health (thru dorans) enemy AD carry with armor pen. Especially since their dumb healer can wipe away damage you inflict with a good volley of shots.
Honestly?

I take AS on-hit Kog to mid lane. It just means your team needs a bursty Ranged AD/top/jungle, which isn't hard to come by these days.

With a Malady rush and following the stuff in this guide (since it's been updated), you completely DECIMATE people if you land your puke on em. Puke keeps em slowed while you barrage, then you ult 2-3 times while they are at almost no MR. I think it might even work better with Sorc's Shoes, but have yet to try it.

However...

If you are set on going bottom, I recommend just farming. Remember, AS on-hit Kog benefits MUCH more from gold than AD champions do, in terms of DPS gained. If they are content to have a farm war, just do that. Keep up with them, and you win in terms of raw DPS, since your DPS costs much less than theirs. Also, you can always harass them away from the creeps. Sure their support will heal it back, but so can yours if they try to counter. Your mana needs are much lower, and you should be able to handle a straight up confrontation.