[Guide] Kog the Magic Voidling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
This I did not know... that changes my opinion of SotD substantially...

Alright, so you have an entire page of AS. Your boots, recommended, are AS. If someone were to follow your typical core build, they wouldn't have anything but the measly 15% MPen from the offense mastery tree. At what point do you typically feel MR is becoming a hindrance to your damage output? Is it really not until late game when you potentially grab Void?
Typically, I never get to late game...I usually win before then.

BUT!!! On the times I have gotten to late game, in the past I've always just built defensive items, and been just fine on DPS. I've never thought to build Void (props to War for pointing that out and reminding me), and I always just swapped SotD for Malady...that's not as good as just buying Void, though, since Void allows you to penetrate when you aren't auto attacking.

Lorifel

11-16-2011

How do you feel about the recent "W" range nerf? Have you played Kog since the last patch? Was he hurt badly? I recon his range with "W" active is still on par with lvl 18 Tristana, which should be rediculously long.

Eledhan

11-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorifel View Post
How do you feel about the recent "W" range nerf? Have you played Kog since the last patch? Was he hurt badly? I recon his range with "W" active is still on par with lvl 18 Tristana, which should be rediculously long.
I haven't tried it yet...but honestly? I have a feeling most won't even notice the difference... You typically don't want to play Kog without quite a bit of CC from your other teammates, which always guaranteed a win for me. I'm thinking if you keep him on those kinds of teams, you will never even notice the nerf.

It remains to be seen, though! I'll probably try him out later this week, but lately, it seems as if nobody wants to play champs with decent CC, so I haven't played him much in the last couple weeks...so...might be a while until I can figure out what to do about his masteries and such.

Dimrain47

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2011

How are you new masteries looking after the change? I've been playing Kog as 23/0/7 grabbing both penetration masteries and havoc in the offense tree and the mana regen mastery in utility.

I wouldn't mind going 24/6/0 though, giving me the last point in life steal and a decent bonus to armor and magic resist.

Eledhan

11-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimrain47 View Post
How are you new masteries looking after the change? I've been playing Kog as 23/0/7 grabbing both penetration masteries and havoc in the offense tree and the mana regen mastery in utility.

I wouldn't mind going 24/6/0 though, giving me the last point in life steal and a decent bonus to armor and magic resist.
I haven't updated guide yet, but utility is pretty much a waste on Kog, imo.

At least AS on-hit builds, anyway.

Panikattak

11-21-2011

Have you considered a Nashor's Tooth + Frozen heart/lucid boots? I think people greatly underestimate the power of CDR on kogmaw. Up until recently, with max CDR you had 100% up-time with W. After a small nerf, you still get 80% up-time with 8 sec duration on a 10 sec CD. With only a 2 second window of no W, you can maintain safer distances while still maxing DPS. This makes it MUCH easier to kite.

Also, I think you downplay the benefits of AD by looking too much at spreadsheet dps.
First off, crit is a huge damage buffer
AD allows for vamp, adding sustainability to lane phase.
movement speed from PD is HUGE. kog is slow as balls without it. You can kite sooo well with E, its wide, long, and a strong slow.

but to each his own.

Eledhan

11-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panikattak View Post
Have you considered a Nashor's Tooth + Frozen heart/lucid boots? I think people greatly underestimate the power of CDR on kogmaw. Up until recently, with max CDR you had 100% up-time with W. After a small nerf, you still get 80% up-time with 8 sec duration on a 10 sec CD. With only a 2 second window of no W, you can maintain safer distances while still maxing DPS. This makes it MUCH easier to kite.
Where's your scaling? I just don't see it with this build...

Quote:
Also, I think you downplay the benefits of AD by looking too much at spreadsheet dps.
First off, crit is a huge damage buffer
AD allows for vamp, adding sustainability to lane phase.
movement speed from PD is HUGE. kog is slow as balls without it. You can kite sooo well with E, its wide, long, and a strong slow.

but to each his own.
Well, you're right, the dps output with AD is quite high, and you DO get the advantage of lifesteal. Unfortunately, you have to spend WAAAAYYY too much gold to get that DPS.

I've added a page to the spreadsheet to see how the cost-effectiveness works out (using the same budget for itemization), and the AS on-hit build wins all game long by a landslide, and only gets passed by AD if you spend more money on AD than you did on AS.

Pretty simple to see why AS is better...the cost effectiveness of the DPS on Kog'Maw is just absurd due to his W proc.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2011

Once again... if you want to go Hard damage with crit, AS, AD... why not play Tristana? She has 2 escape mechanisms, and a similar PERMANENT 700 range! Why spend lots of cash/mana on maxing CDR to keep semi-permanent range up?

Playing Kog as AD is kinda like playing AD Tristana with a bloodrazor. It will work, but you are purposely playing a suboptimal build.

The spreadsheet takes all variables into account damage wise, including crit. Its just that Kogs on-hit effect is so powerful that it overshadows everything except for pure Attack Speed, and the onhit items are the cheapest way to get that AS, plus add synergizing magical based damage.

Panikattak

11-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eledhan View Post
Where's your scaling? I just don't see it with this build...
I don't understand your question? I'm simply saying you should try adding nashors tooth with your build. boots of Lucid instead of zerks/sorc. The AP alone gives you the 1% on W, second highest AS item in the game, and huge amount of CDR for more W uptime.
if you didn't want lucid boots you could opt for frozen heart over thornmail as your defensive item.

Remember you are only doing maximum dps when your W is up, Kog's normal range is quite low putting you at great risk every time you try to attack without W up.

Eledhan

11-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panikattak View Post
I don't understand your question? I'm simply saying you should try adding nashors tooth with your build. boots of Lucid instead of zerks/sorc. The AP alone gives you the 1% on W, second highest AS item in the game, and huge amount of CDR for more W uptime.
if you didn't want lucid boots you could opt for frozen heart over thornmail as your defensive item.

Remember you are only doing maximum dps when your W is up, Kog's normal range is quite low putting you at great risk every time you try to attack without W up.
You have no more scaling if you go this route...

You don't need more AS added to my core build, and you CERTAINLY don't want an AS item that has no proc in place of one of the other items.

If your target hasn't died in 6-8 seconds...then I don't know what to tell you. I'd rather have the DPS items or the defensive items as opposed to the CDR from Nashor's & Ionian.

It's just not synergistic enough...