Amoline, the Shadow Witch

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ansaa

01-18-2013

Do you think she killed Vayne's family? She is a witch, an evil shadow witch to boot.

For those of you who don't know, Amoline is Annie's mother, and Vayne's family was killed by a witch when she was a little girl.

I don't think Riot would need to change much (If anything) to tie the two lores together. With the new Annie remake, I can't think of a better time to retcon a little old lore, in exchange for something awesome like Vayne/Annie interactions.

The benefits of this:
- Vayne and Annie are rivals now, like Rengar/Khazix. We all love this type of stuff!
- Amoline, The Shadow Witch may become a new champion.
- We get the varied (As in not another young, attractive woman with giant boobs xD) female champion people have been asking for. Not necessarily a warty old witch, but something more like Flemeth:
Attachment 595049

Relevant Lore:
In the time shortly before the League, there were those within the sinister city-state of Noxus who did not agree with the evils perpetrated by the Noxian High Command. The High Command had just put down a coup attempt from the self-proclaimed Crown Prince Raschallion, and a crack down on any form of dissent against the new government was underway. These political and social outcasts, known as the Gray Order, sought to leave their neighbors in peace as they pursued dark arcane knowledge. The leaders of this outcast society were a married couple: Gregori Hastur, the Gray Warlock, and his wife Amoline, the Shadow Witch. Together they led an exodus of magicians and other intelligentsia from Noxus, resettling their followers beyond the Great Barrier to the northern reaches of the unforgiving Voodoo Lands. Though survival was a challenge at times, the Gray Order's colony managed to thrive in a land where so many others would have failed.

The world is not always as civilized as people might think. There are still those who would follow the blackest paths of magic and become corrupted by the darker powers that flow through Runeterra. Shauna Vayne knows this fact well. As a young privileged girl in the heart of Demacia's elite, her father tried to convince her of the constabulary's ever-vigilant eye. Young and naive, she truly believed that her world was one of perfect safety, until one night, when a twisted witch took interest in her father. The malevolent woman overcame her father's conciliar guard, then tortured her family before murdering them. The young Shauna escaped only by hiding herself and then fleeing once the hag had departed, plagued by the screams of her loved ones as she ran. A burning hatred was born in her that day, one that could never be denied.

Birdy51

01-18-2013

I am afraid that you may have the wrong witch.

Amoline, though she bears a dubious title, seems bit a bit more benevolent of a character than the witch in Shauna's tale. Afterall, she co-led a group of mages to the relative safety of isolation. The witch in Vayne's tale however is downright malicious and devoid of pity. Not exactly good leadership qualities.

It's also been suggested that the witch in Vayne's judgement is the one who killed her family. Upon extracting her revenge, she turns her sights on the League to fight corruption there.

So nay, I disagree that Vayne would go out of her way to hunt Amoline. She has bigger fish to fry.

Ansaa

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy51 View Post
I am afraid that you may have the wrong witch.

Amoline, though she bears a dubious title, seems bit a bit more benevolent of a character than the witch in Shauna's tale. Afterall, she co-led a group of mages to the relative safety of isolation. The witch in Vayne's tale however is downright malicious and devoid of pity. Not exactly good leadership qualities.

It's also been suggested that the witch in Vayne's judgement is the one who killed her family. Upon extracting her revenge, she turns her sights on the League to fight corruption there.

So nay, I disagree that Vayne would go out of her way to hunt Amoline. She has bigger fish to fry.
Amoline and her husband were still Noxians though! They left to pursue dark arcane knowledge. Emphasis on dark. Malicious and devoid of pity can actually be great leadership qualities, and since there is basically nothing on Amoline we can assume what we want of her!

And yes, of course the witch in Vayne's judgement is the witch who killed her parents, but that witch is neither described nor named. She is called a "crone", which means we know she is old.

If Haley Manner was the witch who killed the witch who killed Shauna's parents, then I think Vayne would have more to say than a single sentence when she killed her.

All that aside, I guess I'm proposing more of a champion concept inspired by lore, not whether or not Vayne would hunt Amoline. She would of course, dark arcane knowledge is condemnable by Vayne.

Birdy51

01-18-2013

Well, first off remember that dark doesn't quite transfer to evil. Traditionally, yes. However, we do know a few things about Amoline. The first, is that she and her husband attracted intelligent people and mages. Noxus is a brutal country, but this line suggests that perhaps they weren't always so militaristic.

The second, is that she was not welcome in Noxus. Now, to be unwelcome in Noxus for practicing dark arts in Noxus is kind of shocking. Necromancy is about as dark as it gets. So that's probably not why they had to leave. No, she and her husband were exiled for disagreeing with Boram Darkwill. They were smart enough to get out when could.

The third point to be made about Amoline, is that she was not likely to have achieved crone mode yet. She would have still had to have been young enough to have Annie, even after all those years that she killed Vaynes parents. Now, that is a fairly good chunk of time. I don't think she would have been described as a crone if she was still young enough to have a child so many years later.

The fourth point comes from her title. She is the Shadow Witch. This suggests that her skills are more in the realm of illusions, rather than the hemomancy Haley Manner uses. If her specialty was in hemomancy, her title might of had been different.

Now, you might be right about Haley. But that's something we'll never know. Regardless, we probably will never see Amoline or Gregori on the Fields of Justice for one main reason. Why would they want to go into a situation where they may be put against their own daughter? Although siblings have appeared as champions, it might be rather dark for a mother to be killing her own child on a daily basis.

I could be wrong though. Stranger things have happened!

Ansaa

01-18-2013

Now that you mention it... hemomancy. Lets look at Vayne's judgement:

“Come out, little girl. Come out, or I will do to mummy what I have already done to daddy.” The crone suspended her mother above the floor of the moonlit kitchen, the poor woman's limbs painfully and helplessly outstretched. Blood slowly dripped from her, dribbling from a hundred impossibly small cuts.

You're raising some good question and I think you hit the nail on the head: They must have left not because of exploring dark magic (Sion and Urgot were raised with necromancy by Noxus, everyone is cool with it!) but instead for disagreeing with with powerful political Noxians like Boram.

And I guess I never really though of the timeline, and how women lose their fertility when they get old, "crone" age. And since she was considered a crone back when Vayne was little... she must have been REALLY old by the time Annie was born.

Not to mention, I don't know how Amoline got from Noxus, to the Voodoo Vands, then to Demacia to kill the Vayne family.

But, the good thing with shadow witches is that you can explain most things with.... MAGIC! LeBlanc isn't actually LeBlanc, just the next Black Rose member to take her image. I bet it wouldnt be too hard for Amoline to appear as a crone to murder the Vayne family, and make Vayne think she should be hunting an old witch instead of Amoline.

That does suggest hemomancy!

Birdy51

01-19-2013

I think you're stretching the arguement now Ansaa. :P

It would be rather hard for a witch in the isolation of the VooDoo lands to suddenly get the hankering for tortured Demacian families.