Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NaiveNarwhal

10-29-2011

What's the difference between Armor Penetration and Physical Damage Runes?

I am from Space

10-29-2011

Armor Penetration and Physical Damage are two different stats, and effect the damage equation differently. Going from memory here the equation is...

Physical Damage * (Armor - Armor Pen + 100)/100

Something like that anyway. The point is that armor can reduce your Physical damage, but Armor Pen can reduce Armor. The trick is to find the balance that gives the most damage.

I'm pretty sure most people run Armor Pen, but last time I looked through high elo rune pages I saw a fair number of Damage runes.

Oxyrotten

10-30-2011

physical damage runes give you just that. more ad. good for an early game advantage if thats what your aiming for or need but thats about it.

armor pen reduces the amount of dmg reduction suffered from armor, i cant remember the formula off the top of my head but look it up on the wiki as it will also give you the different types of armor pen/armor reduction and the order that they apply

as for the poster above me's comment yes most people run armor pen because its alot better in the long run and has more impact throughout the entire game and late game. High elo players do often run full (or somewhat full) ad/ap pages, however high elo competition is a lot different than low-mid elo. Generally theres alot more utility runed in mid elo pages as its more beneficial universally as opposed to situationally as well as more supportive whereas high elo players can afford to lose minor cdr lets say and pick up additional ap due to thier skill due to their skill and i just realized this is one terrible run on sentence and i should probably goto bed now.

yeah. just google armor pen runes and follow the link to the wiki its pretty well explained there.

NaiveNarwhal

11-04-2011

Thanks for the help guys