Real elo hell: The "Solo Queue" mindset and how to improve at LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DURRHURRDERP

11-08-2011

@Nylian: Having unlucky streaks of leavers or feeders is a part of the game. There are always going to be leavers/feeders/trolls in team games, simply because they have the power to ruin your game (by leaving). It's like a natural disaster. Think about it this way: say you build a house, and suddenly a tornado rolls in and destroys it. Would you say "**** tornadoes ALWAYS RUINING MY PLANS" and just stop building your house? Or would you accept that tornadoes are an uncontrollable aspect of nature, and think about ways to mitigate that tornado damage? Maybe you'd build your house in a different location, or use different materials or different plans. In real life you'd never simply give up because of something you can't control. These articles are meant to help you understand that there is nothing you can do about things completely out of your control. There's no need to even think about it, let alone complain about these things. Ignore the leavers and move on. Just focus on what you can do to help yourself in the future.

@Ripjaws: Yes, escaping elo hell does take skill and luck. But it takes more skill than luck. Do you think that someone like bigfatlp would have any trouble moving up from 1k elo? 1.2k? 1.3k? The more skilled you are, the less luck it takes. If your "true elo" is around 1500, you will, with enough games, be able to reach 1500. Sure there are games where you can't carry. Again, the whole point of these articles is to teach you the right mentality for solo queue play. You should be ignoring the uncontrollable. If someone leaves the game for whatever reason, that can't be controlled, and you shouldn't waste time thinking about it. If someone is feeding or playing badly, you can at least let them know, and if they listen, great, if not, it can't be helped.

And it generally is your fault for not being able to carry 4 feeders. People tend to have a misguided notion about what "carrying" truly is. Carrying a game isn't about having the best k/d ratio or the most cs. It's about making the right calls and getting everyone to do their job properly. Have you ever watched bigfatlp stream? When he smurfs on some random low elo account, everyone on his team knows that it is him playing. They automatically listen to his calls. If he tells his team to do something, they do it, no questions asked. They know he is good and will make the correct calls, and if they listen to him, its basically a free win.

@faptime: Again, yes there is luck involved. There will be things out of your control. You shouldn't be looking to improve your chances to make sure you aren't the reason for your loss....you should be looking to improve your chances to make sure you're the reason for your win. People just get way too emotional playing this game. If you get some leavers or feeders, and you feel like there is absolutely 0% chance of winning, just surrender and move on. Don't bother expending extra energy on trying to rage or control those types of situations. Just focus on improving your own mentality and skills. To paraphrase JFK, "ask not what your team can do for you, ask what you can do for your team".

Ripjaws

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURRHURRDERP View Post

And it generally is your fault for not being able to carry 4 feeders. People tend to have a misguided notion about what "carrying" truly is. Carrying a game isn't about having the best k/d ratio or the most cs. It's about making the right calls and getting everyone to do their job properly. Have you ever watched bigfatlp stream? When he smurfs on some random low elo account, everyone on his team knows that it is him playing. They automatically listen to his calls. If he tells his team to do something, they do it, no questions asked. They know he is good and will make the correct calls, and if they listen to him, its basically a free win.

There seems to be a bit of a contradiction in your post...I'd also like to illustrate that when people describe "elo hell" I don't think they have really experienced what 'elo hell' truly is.

I see a lot of the 'ELO hell does not exist' threads where high ELO players make a smurf account BARELY touching the true depths of ELO hell then carry themselves to another rating and then saying "See? It isn't true! Elo hell doesn't exist!"

You do realize that a significant portion of ELO hell players absolutely refuse to listen to any sort of kind guidance? So when people say "Make them listen" it makes me wonder whether they have TRULY experienced ELO Hell. This is what creates ELO HELL in the first place. Five players on a team who all think they are the best in the world and play their own way. When they die, lose towers, lose lanes, and feed it is not THEIR fault, it is someone ELSE'S fault. Why? Because they're the best. They've done ten normal games before this and pub stomped a bunch of random players. Why should they think any differently now? They dominated in their earlier games so surely if they're not dominating now it must be SOMEONE ELSE'S fault.

THIS is what creates the "I'm not listening to you BLAH BLAH BLAH" complex so many players in ELO Hell have.

I think your notion of "Your fault for not being able to carry four feeders" is absolutely absurd and extremely unhelpful to players who often find themselves stuck in these situations.

Why not have a checklist?

Are they warding?
Are they being helpful to teammates?
Are they yelling at their teammates or attempting to be nice?
Did they pick the right champ at champ select?
Are they participating in team fights?
If they're losing team fights do they know why?
Are they paying attention to the enemy's build?

And the list goes on...

In my opinion your explanation for the transition from luck to skill is a bit weak. It is not some overnight change where you suddenly stop having to depend on luck and somehow have "skill" carry you out.

Furthermore, a lot of players are under a concept that "Oh it's just one or two bad apples ruining the team..." No. ELO Hell is swarming with leavers, feeders and trolls who can all be lumped on one team or both.

Telling a player to 'ignore the uncontrollable' is bad advice. I have already mentioned ELO hell players are ALREADY ignoring each other. This is the mentality you are working with. There are going to be people who are reading your guides thinking they are already the best, seeing such advice and go "Ah yes, ignore the "baddies" and keep doing what I'm doing! So I was doing the right thing the whole time!"

When in reality, they've been doing a million things wrong.

In the end, I'm not bashing your guide. I liked it. You talk a lot about the mentality of the player but there needs to be more focus on the mentality of the average ELO hell player.

Which is why I suggested the checklist. It forces players to answer 'Yes' or 'No' questions by elaborating and analyzing THEMSELVES as a player.

Are they paying attention to what defenses the enemy is stacking?
Are they able to play more than one class?
Do they understand which heroes you don't first pick and which heroes you save for last pick?
Do they understand why a certain champion is banned and why a certain champion isn't banned?

The average ELO Hell player cannot answer the majority of these questions.

DURRHURRDERP

11-08-2011

@Ripjaws:

Quote:
There seems to be a bit of a contradiction in your post...I'd also like to illustrate that when people describe "elo hell" I don't think they have really experienced what 'elo hell' truly is.
How is there contradiction in that post? I said if you make the right calls, you'll win more frequently. I then provided an example of a good player who, when he smurfs, has people listening to his calls because they know he is good and will make the right calls frequently, which will then win games more often.

Quote:
I see a lot of the 'ELO hell does not exist' threads where high ELO players make a smurf account BARELY touching the true depths of ELO hell then carry themselves to another rating and then saying "See? It isn't true! Elo hell doesn't exist!"
What's your definition of "the true depths of elo hell"?
Is it 400 elo? 800? 1000? 1200? 1400? 1500? 1600? 1800? 1900? 2000?

If good players on smurfs barely touch true elo hell, what about saintvicious? During that hacking incident, his elo got reset from 2400 to 1. Is 1 elo deep enough into the true bowels of elo hell? Because if I recall he managed to go from 1 elo to 100+ elo in a day or two.

Quote:
You do realize that a significant portion of ELO hell players absolutely refuse to listen to any sort of kind guidance?
You do realize that a significant portion of THE ENTIRE PLAYER POPULATION OF LEAGUE OF LEGENDS refuses to listen to any kind of guidance right? In fact, I'd say this happens even more frequently at higher elos since they know they're significantly better than average.

Quote:
So when people say "Make them listen" it makes me wonder whether they have TRULY experienced ELO Hell. This is what creates ELO HELL in the first place. Five players on a team who all think they are the best in the world and play their own way. When they die, lose towers, lose lanes, and feed it is not THEIR fault, it is someone ELSE'S fault. Why? Because they're the best. They've done ten normal games before this and pub stomped a bunch of random players. Why should they think any differently now? They dominated in their earlier games so surely if they're not dominating now it must be SOMEONE ELSE'S fault.
Yes, at any elo you will get players who are going to think they are the best. Yes you will get feeders who blame the team. You will get baddies who blame the team. You will get normal game all-stars who think their unique and wonderful strategies are simply better than everyone else's and when they don't work, it's always the team's fault.

Who cares? Does any of that truly matter to you? And if it does, can you begin to see the root of your problem? Every player good or bad encounters these same problems. You can rage and complain constantly before, during, and after the game. Or you can do your best to exert some of your own (hopefully positive) influence onto the game to offset their negative influence; and if that doesn't work, you move on.

Also, I don't recall saying "make them listen". You don't (more accurately, you can't) make someone listen to you. Have you ever tried making a random stranger listen to you over the internet? How often has that been successful? When you're not a famous player, no one is going to outright listen to you. Instead, you need to prove your bonafides in game (and you have a relatively short time to do this). If you are successful in making good calls, if you're doing well and achieving positive objectives for your team, people will notice. They will start following you. No one, in their heart of hearts, wants to lose. They may purposely lose to troll or whatever, but if you gave them the certainty of victory instead, they're going to take it.

Quote:
THIS is what creates the "I'm not listening to you BLAH BLAH BLAH" complex so many players in ELO Hell have.
Actually this is pretty much human nature on the internet.

Quote:
I think your notion of "Your fault for not being able to carry four feeders" is absolutely absurd and extremely unhelpful to players who often find themselves stuck in these situations.
It's the truth. Say you've been fluctuating at 1200 elo for 100 games. This means two things. You're good enough that you won't stay below 1200 elo for long, and you're not good enough (or you've encountered enough bad luck in matchmaking - either way, it's the same thing) to move up from it. Being stuck at an elo means you're good enough to stay there - but not good enough to leave, irregardless of having leavers and feeders. If somehow you encountered a run of good luck and got carried by your teammates and moved up to 1500, you would eventually gravitate back to your natural elo (or improve your own skills and stay or move up even further).

People place too much emphasis on luck in general. Luck is going to play a role in the short run, but in the long run, it has very little effect. Someone who is 2.4k elo in the first season is not going to be stuck at 1300 elo for very long. Again, I want to stress that the more skilled you are at this game, the less variance you will suffer in the long run. Stop blaming luck for your losses and take responsibility for your own results. Ignoring the uncontrollable does NOT mean ignore your teammates in game. It means that you should be focused on always improving your own skill and play and not putting so much emphasis on luck. It doesn't matter what your team isn't doing, you should be focused on what you can do yourself to improve your own play and at the same time, as you get more skilled, this will naturally increase your team's chances of winning.

EzraTwitch

11-08-2011

Bump for great justice.

The Last Shaco

11-08-2011

Obviously the more games play. The less variance there is. But some people could go 9-1 on their 1st 10 games and have a super inflated elo. Or end up going 5-5 while really being a 2k player.

If we assume that everyone who complains of "elo hell" has a significant amount of games, then yes it won't exist.

DURRHURRDERP

11-09-2011

Yeah, the hard part is convincing people who've only played like 10 ranked games and had leavers/feeders/trolls in 5 of them that elo hell doesnt exist.

Cyndikate

11-09-2011

Thank you!

Printing all of this out.

Tekone

11-09-2011

=[

DURRHURRDERP

11-09-2011

bump

Kize

11-10-2011

Holy awesome posts. Gonna read up on these soon.