Real elo hell: The "Solo Queue" mindset and how to improve at LoL

12345678 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Loverush

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2011

Good ideas!! Keep it up

Belqin

10-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Shaco View Post
Not sure I completely agree with the non existence of elo hell. I guess it just depends on your definition of what elo hell is. I look at it as variance and standard deviation. A 2k player is not necessarily better than a 1900 player. The 2k player could just have had the better luck of getting less leavers/trolls/baddies. It depends on the sample size. If both players have played 3000 games then I would say the 2k is better than the 1900 player because that's a significant amount of games.

If you have someone like hotshot make 100 different accounts and play 50 ranked games on all of them. The elo level will vary. Some accounts will be as low as 1500 and some will be as high as 2k.

You bring statistics into the argument to give some validity through facts...but then you go and make up your statistics. You dont know that the elo range of those 100 figurative accounts would vary that widely, all of them could be between 1950-2000, with maybe a couple outliers, who knows.

You can assume these things to back up your argument. But everything you postulated doesn't really back up your side of story that well, especially compared to his detailed thought out arguments lol.

Nice detailed thought out articles btw! lol

On second reading you're first argument is kind of arguing the same thing as he was...with enough games you'll average out whatever elo you belong in :P

I kinda went in circles there...

DURRHURRDERP

11-01-2011

I'm of the opinion that the amount of variance in trolls/leavers/etc is not as much as people think, and that your elo should be fairly close to your "true elo" assuming you don't troll/rage yourself on a regular basis.

DURRHURRDERP

11-07-2011

updated with 12th article on counterpicking

DURRHURRDERP

11-08-2011

bump

Nylian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURRHURRDERP View Post
I'm of the opinion that the amount of variance in trolls/leavers/etc is not as much as people think, and that your elo should be fairly close to your "true elo" assuming you don't troll/rage yourself on a regular basis.
This is one thing I disagree with. Elo hell does exist, just not in the way most people say it does. When everyone stays in a game, and everyone plays, you are your Elo. I was 1300 ranked solo queue. I knew I could do better through practice, but still not that high. I was okay with that, just needed some time. I worked hard at it. I reviewed my replays, I had friends critique my play, I took suggestions and worked on it in normal games. After about a month of hardcore training and preparation I started solo queuing ranked again.

Then every single game I had a leaver. I stuck with it. Every single game until I hit 1000 Elo, sometimes there were two leavers. I was so pissed, I actually stopped playing for the season (after climbing back up to 1200 or so before having a streak of leavers again) and resolved that next season I would never solo queue without a partner. One less person that could be a leaver.

Of course low Elo hell exists, and of course I can climb out of it again. It's there, it's just not how you seem to view it. Unlucky streaks of leavers and trolls are going to happen, and that is the hell.

Now, if I were 2k ranked, the people there got there because they make the choice to not leave/rage/troll. I am by no means a 2k player, but I guarantee the % of leavers is much lower at that Elo than at 1k.

I appreciate what you're doing with the article for the arrogant ****s that think they're where they're at because of their unskilled teammates. But if you think you can arbitrarily say that low Elo hell doesn't exist at all; **** you, I've been in it.

Mr AIex

11-08-2011

Love this site. I subscribed via RSS.

RagingDonger

11-08-2011

bump... I'm on a streak now having browsed this. Hope my teammates did too.

Ripjaws

11-08-2011

Author emphasizes too much on the notion "Your loss is your fault."

I do agree that a large amount of ELO hell players deserve to be there. Day in and day out I've seen people auto-lock squishies then say "All I know how to play is AP carry but it's not my fault I'm in ELO Hell" etc...

The guide should mention that escaping ELO hell comes down to skill and luck. There's absolutely nothing you can do with a team of feeders.

People who have supposedly "escaped elo hell" (but were never there to begin with) have this false delusion that one person can carry a team. Yes, one person can do extremely well and turn the tides of a team fight but the four other plays or at least the two or three must be somewhat competent.

There's no winning a game where three players are 0-8 only 12 minutes into the game and you're already two towers down.

People who write these guides need to explain the atmosphere in a little more detail. There are games that you CANNOT carry.

Saying "It's your fault you're losing for not being able to carry four dedicated feeders who lost their towers 6 minutes in, and autoattacked the entire time without picking up any decent CS" is not helpful information.

Afgani Annie

11-08-2011

I just finished a game where I outcs'd outfarmed, out geared, won my lane... massive Q as nasus but... everyone on my team fed like mad. I told sivir when top lane is covered by a tank and we have no range bot that sivir is not the best option, that she should choose an ad range to deal with trist's range. Nope "i like sivir". She went 1-9. We need a jungler guys, lee sin is chosen and goes 2-8 and doesn't understand how to use his ulti or how to shield away from ppl (or over walls etc). There are so many games where I do relatively well but my team just feeds hard or any myriad of other issues. Ofc I don't play well every game and sometimes it is my fault we lose but in ELO hell there are just so many thigns out of your control that keep you permastuck in this cyclic fail. I often think that WoW is a much better game in this respect. There is no rating hell. You just stomp outta that range and face better and better ppl/comps. These are chosen teams yes, but in that game it's encouraged to arrange a team. In LoL no one really cares about AT's nor is there an importance placed on it by riot. The game centers around random 5's in which there is such a large portion of the outcome dictated by luck. There are many things that you can do to improve your chances and to make sure YOU aren't the reason for the loss but in the end... if your team has more suck than theirs does... it's gg. I do believe that picking a mid/bot is probably the best bet b/c you have more impact and kill opportunities. Top is a great lane but it's such a passive farm lane.

12345678 ... 13