Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

[mini-guide] AP mid Gragas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hello everyone and this is going to be a small guide on my favourite champion in LoL right now; Gragas.

Before I start I'd just like to say one more thing; Try to be in a solo lane. Gragas is mediocre at best bottom lane but you won't get his full potental in a duo lane unless your skill level is at an area where lane composition don't matter much.

Standard for most burst mages, magic penetration in offence and anything in Utility that you think it will help you burst people down like improved flash, increased buff duration, increased movement speed..?

Runes:There are two options that I go with as far as runes go and here are mine;
a) 9x red magic penetration
9x yellow flat armor
9x blue flat magic resist
3x quint flat health
This is a pretty tanky setup early game and is helpful if the opponent chooses to have an AD middle or anyone that likes to harrass/play aggresive much. I like doing this setup when I'm solo que because stranger tanks aren't really reliable much.

b) 9x red magic penetration
9x yellow flat ability power
9x blue flat mp5
3x quint flat ability power
The opposite of the above, very deadly early game and I personally will go with this setup if you are playing with people you know and can rely on.

Summoner Spells
Like above there are two options.
a) Teleport and Flash
I use this when I'm solo top. Flash is self-explanatory and Teleport allows your fat ass (as in gragas) to get down to bot for a dragon fight. Also its pretty versatile for your solo top to have a Teleport.

b) Ignite flash
This is when I solo mid. Again, flash is literally compulsory if you want to do good and Ignite makes finishing champs easier which may be a minor problem in the early-mid game when your Q and E is too high cooldown to re use if the enemy manages to escape with only 20hp left.

Starting Items
[if you have Teleport + Flash] Doran's Ring
[if you have Ignite + Flash] Boots + 3hp pot
But if you think you won't be able to survive long enough with a Doran's Ring just use your gut instinct and get boots + 3hp pot or whatever you please.

Core ItemsSorceror's Boots (or Mercury Treads or Ninja Tabi if the situation is needing one)
Rabadon's Deathcap - This item is self-explanatory for burst mages
Rod of Ages - Gives HP, AP and MP5 all good for Gragas
note: Unless you're really confident, don't rush these items quickly because there is a chance your lack of health may prevent you from staying in lane/team fight until you get the amount of gold. I prefer to stack Doran's Ring (usually 3 will do) then Farm for the Rabadon's Deathcap.

Lategame ItemsVoid Staff - Good since late game almost everyone is going to get a Negatron Cloak
Morello's Evil tome - Alot of AP and CDR perfect for Gragas
Will of the Ancients - Sustain and decent amount of AP. Always good to have alteast one person with Will of the Ancients in your team.

Luxury ItemsLich Bane - This item is great and I sometimes prefer getting this item over Morello's but if the enemy has lots of Close up AD like Xin Zhao, Tryndamere etc then just skip it.
Quicksilver Sash - Great for lategame where every single CC matters.
Deathfire's Grasp - alot of burst mages tend to be getting this item so might as well.

SKILLSInnate Passive: Happy Hour Gragas takes a drink from his cask every time he uses an ability, restoring 2% of his maximum health over 4 seconds.
Good for sustain especially mid-late game where you can just spam spells left and right to get your health restoring like no one's business.

Q: Barrel Roll Gragas rolls his cask to a location, which can be activated again to explode or will explode on its own after 5 seconds. Enemies struck by the blast have their attack speed reduced for 3 seconds.
Your bread and butter skill. Used to farm and used to burst.

W: Drunken Rage Gragas guzzles down brew from his cask, channeling for 1 second. He gains mana while channeling, and becomes empowered after finishing, increasing attack damage, and reducing damage taken for 20 seconds.
There is no need for Mana potions for (may god forbid) clarity thanks to this spell. Its also excellent for taking down towers and of course let us no forget the damage reduction.

E: Body Slam Gragas charges forward, colliding with the first enemy unit he hits, dealing magic damage to enemies in the area. Damage is split amongst targets hit. Units hit by Body Slam are slowed by 35% for 2.5 seconds.
Used to farm and used to initiate your combo and of used to escape/chase. Its always fun killing an enemy champion with this spell.

R: Explosive Cask Gragas throws his cask to a location, which explodes on impact, dealing magic damage to enemy units in the area and knocking them back.
Very, very powerful and potentially game changing spell. This ultimate deals an insane amount of Nuke to any one it hits and you can also use it to steal baron/dragon.

Your combo should be E > Q > R if its a small skirmish fight
or R > E > Q if its abig fight. Its always wise to land your E since it slows the target which gives you a very high chance of landing your barrel roll and obviously you should use your drunken rage on regular intervals.

p.s this is only a miniguide because its 2am right now and im too tired to write a detailed and comprehensive guide. Maybe i'll add some new features later like how to lane etc