[Guide] Soraka by Puregoldenboy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2010

1 of the best Soraka's..... except he plays with jiji premade, so -1 (just kidding) great guide.

Ixcel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2010

i hate starcall as a soraka :/

imhuge

06-21-2010

Can you give some insight on running Heal/Clarity?

It's not in your summoner spell section and a few of your livestream videos have you using it.

I'm thinking it frees up Infuse for Silence at critical moments and acts much faster than Locket+Infuse. It also seems dependent on your team's need for mana (someone needing 1000s like Heimer).

Impunity

06-21-2010

basically tell your lanemate to harass and pressure to get a kill as much as possible, it's really a lane pushing bulldozer if you're gonna run heal clairty. I would only recommend it if you have people with high ability costs in your lane, such as hiemer, veigar or ryze in my opinion, not because it's not viable, but just because i think theres' better ones you could choose over. :P

You'll basically save your infuse to silence after your lanemate initiates so they can't blink or CC your teammate.

Aikage

06-21-2010

I used to really really hate locket. I never understood the rationale behind it until I read this guide and it hit me. You don't get locket because of the added bonus to your heal, you get it because you then can basically smash q for the rest of the game and not have to worry about heals anymore! Well, maybe not so extreme, but the item at least makes sense to me now.
I was so sad that in dota allstars there was no real dedicated healer character. Death knight could use death coil to heal some health but it was pretty useless late game. I tried soraka first thing and died 200000 times and decided to play a tank instead. Now that I've played a bit more I am back to playing soraka. Thanks for the guide it was very helpful and actually quite a bit how I play now - although I don't usually get locket. Thanks!

shubomber

06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKSLIDE View Post
It doesnt pick Random targets. The AoE is centered on you. Everything within its radius will be hit by starcall. Yes, Starcalls range is less then your auto attacks range. It is however, extremely reliable if you know the radius.
Doesn't it grey out when there aren't any visible units in range, though? Or does it become available when you're close to an enemy in the bush? And does it work on stealth?

puregoldenboy

06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impunity View Post
Amazing guide so far! i have a few differentiating points on certain things, have been playing Soraka quite a bit lately, something about a support role fits me I guess haha. First off, for summoner spells, I agree that cleanse is very nice and almost necessary if you're playing a healing support role, but i find that soraka is an amazing character for the use of Clairvoyance, especially if you're going deep in the utility tree. It helps keep enemies in check and makes for an amazing teamfight utility if it's near brush (no more dodging to the other bush for cover). I've also been rolling Smite/Clair for awhile now and i think it's very effective, you don't need last hits, leave that to the carry in your lane, just smite the supers that come down the lane for excess gold plus a few last hits that your carry can't get and viola, you have gold for key items. This is also good since you'll be taking bot lane 99% of the time to smite dragon with your lane partner to get it quick and back into the lane before they know the wiser.

I've also found that locket is just somewhat of a hindrance to get as a first item, i'd much rather rush a aura based item like aegis or starks if no one else on my team is, it's more beneficial to your laning partner and you don't need locket earlier on because you're already a built in heal and infuse machine. Second item is locket without a doubt though :P

I'm running Infuse as my first ability as well, i find that it gets the jump on people if your opposing team over extends and makes a careless mistake early, and i've found it saves my teammate more often than not if he or she gets focused down too much, decent range and mediocre damage plus the ability to let your lane partner harass early to infuse is more than enough of a reason to pick it in my opinion.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread, i was just wondering what you thought about these changes as opposed to your own picks, it's not criticism I swear *as captain teemo would say, scouts honor* :P
I agree clairovoyance is a spell that is helpful in all levels of play. In top Elo play though, wards are more than enough to monitor enemy movements. Plus you can hear through fog of war so it is fairly easy to monitor where the jungler is. Especially, with the changes to the minimap's display of downed creep camps by the enemy. It is also difficult to dragon because 95 percent of the time there is a ward at dragon at the 4 min mark by both teams and getting dragon only occurs if 2 or more heroes are up top so that the opposite team has a hero advantage to take dragon and defend against a gank. I would not recommend stark's because the aura lifesteal benefits each team composition differently. Most ideal teams consist of an AP based carry like AP ez, an AD based carry like Ashe/TF, a jungler like udyr/ww/grag/amumu etc and then two support types on bottom. The extra 450 hp/mana from locket is really nice and locket's buff allows you to keep your mana level sub 50 percent for extended periods of you wish to. It is important to keep your teammmates' mana as high as possible where as you should have just enough mana for an astral blessing or two plus a wish.

Mohksha

06-21-2010

I didn't try it tonight while playing...and he has far more experience as soraka then i probably ever will...

...but I do know for a fact as of about 2 weeks ago, I was definitely hitting my lane counterparts with starcall from the edge of our brush into the front edge of their side brush. And yes, it because available only when a unit is in range, including stealthed or in brush allowing a early warning many times (unless this all changed this last patch).

puregoldenboy

06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljohn View Post
Any thoughts on Glacial Shroud for 20% CDR, Mana and Armor ?
I don't worry about armor too much. Physical dps don't give me trouble before the 30 minute mark. Astral blessing also does give an armor buff although it is less now at early levels. Mana is always nice but I don't need too much. It's all about being able to sustain pushes. I would rather just pay 300 gold for the 10 percent CDR from blue potion.

puregoldenboy

06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubomber View Post
Is Doran's Ring + Locket really enough mana regen to maintain Starcall spam without MP5 runes? I imagine this build would force you to be extremely conservative with mana early game if you aren't running with Clarity, unless you plan to simply not use Infuse as a silence until later (since it'll be on CD constantly from refilling your mana).
I don't use infuse as a silence unless it is for a gank. Laning phase I am just last hitting creeps with regular attack plus occasional starcall. If I have extra mana, then I may infuse an enemy to do a little extra damage. Whenever I get locket, my team always organizes in mid together and my mana pool FEELS like it doubles. Then we just start spamming outside of tower range poking at the opposing team.

I have a few old games on my stream. I hope to maybe record more soon.

http://www.livestream.com/puregoldenboy