[Guide] Soraka by Puregoldenboy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

puregoldenboy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2010

will have updated guide soon enough

puregoldenboy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2010

reserved

Slide

06-21-2010

Great guide so far. Theorycraft may say AP is better, but Id have to agree with you that locket is the way to go.

Impunity

06-21-2010

Amazing guide so far! i have a few differentiating points on certain things, have been playing Soraka quite a bit lately, something about a support role fits me I guess haha. First off, for summoner spells, I agree that cleanse is very nice and almost necessary if you're playing a healing support role, but i find that soraka is an amazing character for the use of Clairvoyance, especially if you're going deep in the utility tree. It helps keep enemies in check and makes for an amazing teamfight utility if it's near brush (no more dodging to the other bush for cover). I've also been rolling Smite/Clair for awhile now and i think it's very effective, you don't need last hits, leave that to the carry in your lane, just smite the supers that come down the lane for excess gold plus a few last hits that your carry can't get and viola, you have gold for key items. This is also good since you'll be taking bot lane 99% of the time to smite dragon with your lane partner to get it quick and back into the lane before they know the wiser.

I've also found that locket is just somewhat of a hindrance to get as a first item, i'd much rather rush a aura based item like aegis or starks if no one else on my team is, it's more beneficial to your laning partner and you don't need locket earlier on because you're already a built in heal and infuse machine. Second item is locket without a doubt though :P

I'm running Infuse as my first ability as well, i find that it gets the jump on people if your opposing team over extends and makes a careless mistake early, and i've found it saves my teammate more often than not if he or she gets focused down too much, decent range and mediocre damage plus the ability to let your lane partner harass early to infuse is more than enough of a reason to pick it in my opinion.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread, i was just wondering what you thought about these changes as opposed to your own picks, it's not criticism I swear *as captain teemo would say, scouts honor* :P

rljohn

06-21-2010

Any thoughts on Glacial Shroud for 20% CDR, Mana and Armor ?

shubomber

06-21-2010

Is Doran's Ring + Locket really enough mana regen to maintain Starcall spam without MP5 runes? I imagine this build would force you to be extremely conservative with mana early game if you aren't running with Clarity, unless you plan to simply not use Infuse as a silence until later (since it'll be on CD constantly from refilling your mana).

Kyuketsuki

Recruiter

06-21-2010

shubomber, do remember that in addition to doran's ring and locket, you also have infuse and masteries, I really typically don't have mana problems with soraka ever, and I don't even get locket most of the time. Just make sure to use every other infuse on yourself unless your phys carry(ies) are at half mana or lower.

I'm also confused, why you don't suggest starfall first for a side lane, level 1 Soraka has some of the best dps in the game with starfall, not to mention you can see if it's castable near brush so you don't actually have to enter it if you think enemies are in there.

shubomber

06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuketsuki View Post
shubomber, do remember that in addition to doran's ring and locket, you also have infuse and masteries, I really typically don't have mana problems with soraka ever, and I don't even get locket most of the time. Just make sure to use every other infuse on yourself unless your phys carry(ies) are at half mana or lower.
This is okay early on, but it also means that you won't get to use infuse as a silence or a nuke early on and continue to be effective. My point is that if you skip pure mana items like Tear of the Goddess (which turns into AP-boosting Archangel's) in favor of Locket then I feel like you might be missing out on spammability, which translates directly into effectiveness, moreso in a Locket build than in pure AP. I'll go play some practice games to check up on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuketsuki View Post
I'm also confused, why you don't suggest starfall first for a side lane, level 1 Soraka has some of the best dps in the game with starfall, not to mention you can see if it's castable near brush so you don't actually have to enter it if you think enemies are in there.
Starcall isn't a true AoE in that it picks random targets instead of attacking everything in a certain zone. This means that if you can't attack the champion with right-click, then you can't Starcall it. I'm certain of this, because the Starcall mechanics have disappointed me many, many times early game.

Slide

06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubomber View Post
This is okay early on, but it also means that you won't get to use infuse as a silence or a nuke early on and continue to be effective. My point is that if you skip pure mana items like Tear of the Goddess (which turns into AP-boosting Archangel's) in favor of Locket then I feel like you might be missing out on spammability, which translates directly into effectiveness, moreso in a Locket build than in pure AP. I'll go play some practice games to check up on this.
When I run Soraka on a smurf, with no runes or masteries whatsoever I take Clarity. Once Ive built locket its pretty darn useless. So much so that I often feel rediuculous for taking it. I have no doubt that simply specing into utility + infuse will keep you just fine till you complete catalyst, at which poin, mana isnt a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubomber View Post
Starcall isn't a true AoE in that it picks random targets instead of attacking everything in a certain zone. This means that if you can't attack the champion with right-click, then you can't Starcall it. I'm certain of this, because the Starcall mechanics have disappointed me many, many times early game.
It doesnt pick Random targets. The AoE is centered on you. Everything within its radius will be hit by starcall. Yes, Starcalls range is less then your auto attacks range. It is however, extremely reliable if you know the radius.

Impunity

06-21-2010

Starcall is next to useless if compared to a point in either heal or infuse, soraka isn't meant to farm a lane or get last hits, but rather keep the carry boosted up in the lane as much as possible and pedigree him for a good mid and late game by feeding him gold and experience. Granted one level or starcall wouldn't be too bad, but I generally don't pick it up till I have to.