Dominion Major changes in the works: info inside!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Squidget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-28-2011

Some quick thoughts from someone who's played arranged 5s on Dominion almost exclusively since it came out:

Snowball Mechanics: Snowballing in Dominion is actually already a pretty big problem in 5s. One team getting early kills gives them a significant experience advantage, and unlike Summoner's Rift you can't just farm creeps to get back in the game. I actually like the idea of being able to get a more significant gold advantage, but I'd take care in doing so that you don't make experience advantage any more meaningful. It's actually much easier to fight a team that's ahead in gold than it is to fight a team that's ahead in levels. It may be worth looking at slightly toning down kill experience if you increase gold rewards to prevent games from becoming unwinnable if you lose the first few fights. This fits your design goals well, since gold advantages tend to affect individuals while experience advantages tend to affect groups - players would still be able to carry the game by individually playing well, but you wouldn't get a situation where the entire enemy team is 2 levels above you and you have no chance to come back even if you play well.

Champion Balance: I agree with the assessment that most OP champs in Dominion are hypercarries, but there are a few cases where this isn't true. Blitzcrank and Yorick both stand out as top picks in 5s who are OP for reasons other than their lategame. Blitzcrank has always been OP but he never fit well into SR's laning phase or general gameplay, so it may be time to look at him on Dominion. Yorick right now is a little bit too strong in bottom lane, to the point where if they pick Yorick you pretty much to have pick one of his 1-2 counters or lose. Rammus is also an issue (more for his tankiness/CC than his backcapping ability), and definitely one to look at for Dominion balance.

Thalliam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
None right now, we're testing different implementations that solve these issues. A lot of it is still in the experimental stage.
Suggestion - If you wanted to increase the importance of the early game, why don't you lower the ambient gold and experience and tie it to the number of nodes your team currently owns? I think this would result in early game champs having to take and hold enough points to feed their hyper carry so they reach the currently inevitable end game with full item builds.

This is more snow-ball-y than how Dominion currently works, but with some tuning it could solve some of the problems you mentioned.

It could also add incentive to push a node to neutralize and retreat in order to deny the enemy team resources. Currently it's almost detrimental to do so because the enemy team recaps for free gold.

This has probably been suggested in your meetings, y'all are pretty smart folks, but in case it hasn't I wanted to throw it out there. What do you think?

TheUltimate3

10-28-2011

I'm not smart.

Can someone explain to me what the Comeback mechanic is? Is it that thing where after a certain number, deaths don't effect the nexus decay?

Thalliam

10-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimate3 View Post
I'm not smart.

Can someone explain to me what the Comeback mechanic is? Is it that thing where after a certain number, deaths don't effect the nexus decay?
It's actually Nexus Score, 100 I believe at the moment, not the number of deaths. And that's one of them.

Another is the winning team's respawn timer is longer. So if you have a close team fight where you pretty much wipe each other out, the team that's currently losing will get back into the fight quicker than the winning team.

TheUltimate3

10-28-2011

I see. Hm. Well personally I like the no decay on death threshold. Made things interesting in that if the other team was only good at killing your team, you had a shot because your team understood how to capture and hold points. Hope this doesn't change.

Everything else, eh. We'll see.

McMadd

10-28-2011

Anti-steamroll mechanics really do take all the fun out of a strong beginning. Close, long games (23mins+) where you were very far head for the first 15 minutes are just frustrating. I don't feel good for getting a win in a game that should have ended 10 minutes ago, and I feel a bit cheated when I lose in those conditions.

Player score still needs lots of adjustment. I duo queue with a friend. When I play Kog, he plays Leona. He usually ends the game 2 or 3 spots below me, even though he has massive assists, dies half as often as I do, and holds off the enemy away from the point for a very long time while we get caps. If contributions like his cannot be rewarded accurately, I would prefer the whole system be reworked/removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We feel OK being very disruptive to Dominion in the pre-season phase, and will likely be more conservative when Ranked is turned on.
SO looking forward to Ranked Dominion!

Mailius

10-28-2011

Woohoo, I'm looking forward to these changes. Specifically number 2.
Number 1 (more differentiation between good and bad players in a particular game) is something I've wanted since before the mode was available for testing, but I think changing it too much could change the feel of the mode.
I've never had a problem with number 3 outside of a few characters that aren't usually considered a problem. Mostly because said characters are either impossible to tank and/or they kill squishy enemies in 3 seconds or less in a typical fight.

Nidhogg

10-28-2011

Thank you. I am SO sick of seeing every single Dominion game consist of: Jax, Akali, GP, Shaco, Rammus, Heimer, Trynd, Lee Sin, and Singed (I know there are several others). If you don't pick one of these champions, you get insulted throughout the game, and it's really quite a put-off. I sure hope there will be a solid way to fix this because I really enjoy Dominion.

Cauldrath

10-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalliam View Post
Suggestion - If you wanted to increase the importance of the early game, why don't you lower the ambient gold and experience and tie it to the number of nodes your team currently owns? I think this would result in early game champs having to take and hold enough points to feed their hyper carry so they reach the currently inevitable end game with full item builds.
I was actually going to suggest this same exact thing, except that you should pick either ambient gold or experience gain and tie it to capture points owned, while reducing the same for kills, but boosting the other. This will allow for asymmetric strategies where one team is trying to rack up kills for, say, an experience lead, while the other is focusing on point control for a gold advantage.

Agafaba

10-28-2011

Kogmaw looks forward to snowballing in dominion with increased gold.