Dominion Major changes in the works: info inside!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arblis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-27-2011

Hmm, I can't say I agree with the first point. Perhaps I'm just the type of person who savors every littlest victory, but when I beat the odds and am the last person surviving on one entire half of the map, I feel amazing and know just how much that'll help my team lock down the enemy. Honestly, I feel like I've done something amazing much more frequently on Dominion than on SR, even in a how-many-matches-between-each-one sense.

I welcome with open arms the way that when I achieve a great victory, it shoves my team a ways further toward victory instead of rewarding me personally.
... Okay, now I understand why you'd change that.

Still, I am absolutely fascinated by how little power differential there is in Dominion, and the ways it changes how the game is played. One of my gripes with MOBAs is that power differential- making it tougher for the losing team to win but not actually hastening their demise by much. You just feel helpless if something goes wrong, making the enemy team stronger- but in Dominion... if you screw up, you can make up for it by playing better, because the amount of power your enemies gained over you is far less overwhelming!

In addition... how would you go about increasing power diffrential, anyway? If kills are further incentivized with more gold and experience than they give now, would that actually improve the game? The scoring system straight up says that it's not just about kills, after all. Increasing the gold gain from capturing points would do very little- as a team, each side's Cap/Neut counts tend to be pretty close just by the nature of them being.. capture points. If the gold from those was increased, or XP boosts given, it would empower the people who are channeling at the point instead of those who go to intercept incoming foes... who are probably the folks who need more items/XP in order to do their job better.

So I'm a bit concerned about that as well.

And my last whine is.. are you planning on making these changes in succession or all at once? The low power differential is one of the main things that actually allows comebacks in a more major way than Summoner's Rift. To change that at the same time as the actual comeback mechanics would be like nerfing Gunblade and Akali at the same time. And you've proven you know better than to do that! So really I shouldn't be whining about that.

Um.. Anyway, apparently I've become an overly long-winded negative nancy. I'm gonna stop typing now.

Love, a Dominion lover.

Miles Long

10-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Hey folks

* Players don't get enough "moments of glory", and don't easily see how their success can effect the game.

* Comeback mechanics remove interesting team-level decision-making.

* A few champions are way too good on Dominion
So you're planning to ruin Dominion completely by making comebacks less likely and stomps a more common occurrence. Gotcha.

Guess it was inevitable. I'll continue to enjoy CS as much as I can until you make it a carbon copy of SR.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-27-2011

Quote:
Players don't get enough "moments of glory", and don't easily see how their success can effect the game.
yeah hat concerns me, the game DEFINITELY has that right now. So It scares me. I feel I have great impact in everygame I play.

Snakerot

10-27-2011

I kind of like how you never feel like it's over till it's over now. The respawn thing didn't make much sense sure, but if you make the winning team stand out much more then it'll be that much harder to cap a point if they're killing you and winning anyway.

God King Azrael

10-27-2011

Yeah, I'd agree about being a tad worried about making sweeping wins more common. It's nice that falling behind in Dominion dosen't mean it's auto game over. Having to go back and fourth is a nice change of pace from the usual one way slaughter of SR.

Far as more level spread goes, will there be a big bonus for defending nodes? As a tank class I'll often hold out against 2 or 3 people and die right as help arrives, and this ultimately doesn't gain me many points, but it makes a big difference in actually winning the game.

If defending points doesn't grant as much income as killing does, than it means that people running around killing will be all farmed up and that late games the defenders will have little chance of doing so.

I also think that many of the "OP" Dominion champs are partially that way simply because of their class design.

Jax dominates/hard counters most auto attack based champs. (Can be somewhat mitigated by buying special gear)
Rammus has the ideal ability set for Dominion. (Super mobile, Long CC, High Defense, AoE damage that can stop caps)
Shaco can more or less control the map with Jack in the Boxes, and can be very difficult to chase down. (Just incredibly annoying overall)

Akali is perhaps the one "op" champ that most personifies the issue of being auto farmed up.

Reynmaker

10-27-2011

So you're caving to the glory hounds ? seriously ? the reason there's room for glory in classic moba Morello, is that the classic game is much LONGER by design. You are seriously considering a gold advantage in a game that can potentially last 7-10 minutes ? I played against a Kayle that was ahead of my build due to his high kill rate, in the EXISTING system.

I get that Dominion may not be the cash cow that management hoped for from the word go, but if you guys cave to the ego-maniacs and add in the classic MOBA steamroll mechanic, get ready to watch your map fail.

LOL /surrender at 10. They won...

MrSmileyy

10-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynmaker View Post
So you're caving to the glory hounds ? seriously ? the reason there's room for glory in classic moba Morello, is that the classic game is much LONGER by design. You are seriously considering a gold advantage in a game that can potentially last 7-10 minutes ? I played against a Kayle that was ahead of my build due to his high kill rate, in the EXISTING system.

I get that Dominion may not be the cash cow that management hoped for from the word go, but if you guys cave to the ego-maniacs and add in the classic MOBA steamroll mechanic, get ready to watch your map fail.

LOL /surrender at 10. They won...
not exactly my words but I do agree, it sounds like they are just summoners rifting dominion, I was enjoying the lack of shutout games, the "I am badazz" people were ditched in favor of (usual) teamwork

There are still plenty of moments in dominion when I feel like I shine, and if anything they are more special since they dont happen as often. If one person can be awesomer than the rest then we fall into "X gets Y so he ha s more money, you sit on your ass and buy auras" mentality will return.

Isn't dominion supposed to be different from SR to attract the people who weren't satisfied with that?

Hugs From Momma

10-28-2011

Good to hear you guys are working to improve the system. I definitely think there should be more rewards for good play and fewer benefits to playing poorly.

Using the phrase 'moments of glory' has really ignited this forum's need for drama, but whatever. Having carries who always grow to hypercarry status makes for static gameplay. "Hey I picked Kayle, now at 16 minutes I'm super-insane godmode!"

In the future, when this happens, you can know its because you made good decisions early and built into a late game killing machine.

Kamazoom

10-28-2011

this is not really fun lol

WaterD103

10-28-2011

I prefer to have ranked NOW and accept big changes, than ranked 1 year from now. Big changes is fine.