Dominion Major changes in the works: info inside!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Prize

10-28-2011

I strongly feel that you don't need two game modes where the farmed guy becomes ridiculously strong to the point where the game is effectively over for a period of time before it actually ends. Dominion has kept me playing LoL, I don't play SR anymore, and I don't think I'd be the only one who quits if I have to spend time again not really playing but just waiting for a game to end.

I had a game end 1-0 the other day and it was great.

What is really going on here is probably that Riot doesn't think they can balance champions for both SR and Dom, so they are going to turn Dominion into mini-SR. A better solution than this would be to just auto-ban certain champs from Dominion if Riot can't get it right without giving up on what gives Dominion its unique appeal.

logg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-28-2011

I beg you guys, please be careful. You are VERY close to providing a truly competitive experience. Snowballing is the primary barrier I see when introducing people to this game. Getting rid of that was the right move. However, there are a few specific problems that make this less skill-based though:

1. Rewarding people for losing (The +/- respawn on death): You guys have the right idea, but as it's implemented, it is an anti-competitive mechanic which currently frustrates players and can potentially shift the meta over time. Currently, the way to game the system is once you are +100points on the other team, you can only hold onto that lead by not dying (tough versus large zerg groups). I think if you revisit this, you may come across a solution that doesn't punish a team for playing well, rather is an obstacle both teams will have to overcome to close the match. This way, you provide a window for comebacks.

2. Hypercarries. I really don't have a huge problem with them, but they can be very unfun for players. What I do think we might need is a way to close games before they reach that hypercarry status. Theres a lot of options:
- You could create more effective defense toward hybrid carries. Right now, you have to give up two slots to defend against them.
- Change it so being able to maintain a 4/1 cap should end the game before a hypercarry can hope to turn a game around. Way more reasonable than 5/0, and currently that's about the only way to ensure it doesn't happen.
- Make momentary 4/1, 3/1, 2/1 leads matter more.
- You could globally nerf xp/gold gains and bump gold gain on other actions, which might help, but we might see certain characters become unviable again (which might be okay, maybe they just need buffs). Plus, I think people like the idea of having most items completed by 20-something minutes.
- Or you could just nerf the problem chars, meaning adjust the gold values at which they just go out of control. I'm sure this would be the hardest, because of SR.

One other suggestion:
- Make Storm shield better and spawn more infrequently. There are a ton of chars who even with a SS can't take a Shaco sitting on his tower. Actively getting this potential turnaround mechanic is more fun for the players and provides counter play opportunities (which get campers off their turrets)

Zeta

10-28-2011

This is what I mostly see with comebacks:

"We got three points and the first five kills. Clearly, we have snowballed out of control and can run around the map ganking, not defending our points."

"Oh noes, we are dying. Clearly, it's Riot's fault for not making this like Summoner's Rift. OMFG, Riot, this mode sucks! If we do well for the first three minutes, we should win for a 20-minute long victory party against the noobs. If I can't teabag an enemy team for 15 minutes, I hate this mode."

And you are going to cater to these people, Riot?

Sure, great idea.

JonathanSnow

10-28-2011

While I have faith in Riot's game designers, I'm concerned about the potential here to bring back farm. I enjoy summoner's rift, but sometimes I just want to mix it up right away, rather than having to farm constantly the whole game. I hope the changes don't nerf global gold to heavily, because one of the things I enjoy most about Dominion is the ability to play aggressively (because of global gold and experience). If this goes away to a significant degree it will make play on Dominion much more passive, which is not something I play this particular mode for.

Phourc

10-28-2011

I'm a little leery of some of these changes, I feel I get a lot of 'moments of glory,' tower dives, clutch saves, what-have-yous, and it honestly feels awesome being able to fight people at the same power level as me instead of 5k gold above (instalose) or below (instawin) me.

I think that and the fact that comebacks are always possible, keeping you from being able to just coast to victory, are my favorite things about dominion.

However, you've kept this mode pretty awesome so far, so I'll hold off judgement until I see the specific changes you come up with ^^

Bobby

10-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterv View Post
Blowouts are not fun, especially for the other team.
But blowouts are necessary, certainly if one team is THAT much better than the other to have a blowout in the first place. That means there needs to be blow outs so they can get to the Elo bracket they belong in.

Then blowouts will die down a good bit.

Bobby

10-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
This is what I mostly see with comebacks:

"We got three points and the first five kills. Clearly, we have snowballed out of control and can run around the map ganking, not defending our points."

"Oh noes, we are dying. Clearly, it's Riot's fault for not making this like Summoner's Rift. OMFG, Riot, this mode sucks! If we do well for the first three minutes, we should win for a 20-minute long victory party against the noobs. If I can't teabag an enemy team for 15 minutes, I hate this mode."

And you are going to cater to these people, Riot?

Sure, great idea.
No it's more like..

"We all died. They're at two bars though. We'll easily kill them once our 3 second respawn timer is up."

"We all died. They decided to B, heal up, and buy items. Whatever, we can get back there and cap before they can even reach the point!"

They shouldn't change anything about the gold. They should change the wave respawns and respawn timers. That's it.

It's obvious that the majority is going to want to have these fake comebacks, because they like getting handed **** instead of actually playing well and winning due to skill. That's why I'll be downvoted. Because the majority want something that isn't FAIR.

Miles Long

10-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronky View Post
It's obvious that the majority is going to want to have these fake comebacks, because they like getting handed **** instead of actually playing well and winning due to skill. That's why I'll be downvoted. Because the majority want something that isn't FAIR.
You already have that on SR, why do we need that bull$hit here too?

Clayborn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-28-2011

NO NO NO

do NOT remove the comeback mechanisms. I hate getting blow out victories as much as blow out defeats- so unbelievable boring with nothing to do but slaughter an enemy team that you almost feel bad for. =/

The fact that it is really hard to push for the final win in a short game format is awesome and makes it fun. =)

In close games, the best players have the greatest chance to shine in those crucial moments. Pushing slightly unmatched games closer creates awesome chances for moments of glory.
I have capped points right before our timer hit 0 many times and then held them. The comeback mechanism itself generates more chances at moments for glory than anything else.
If you want moments of glory do not remove it.

nukular power

10-28-2011

I hope the hypercarry mechanics arent being adjusted as far as I fear they might be. While it's true that carries get geared fast, so do tanks, and everyone else. I dont want to play 20 min games of Dom where I can only build a pickaxe upgrade - hell, usually games are over now right after you finish Atmogs.

There would just be no incentive to play it over SR, where you can actually finish a build, other than being on a different map.