turning turd into a beast: simple skarner guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkenDragon

10-26-2011

i've been playing skarner for the past few week and I've been getting tons of people asking what I did to make this champion such a beast.

honestly there is honestly no trick or build that makes this champion amazing, its just simple ideas and understand how to counter enemies.

but the item build is important on how well he does and i'll share with you my successful build process, yes its a process, not a stiff build. that I use all the time. if you check out my match history, no 2 skarner games are the same build. as it should never be.

lets first start talking about what stats is skarner looking for. what he needs to improve his kit. first thing that comes to mind is his attack speed. his passive causes him to reduce his cooldowns by 0.5 seconds per attack on a minion/mob and 1 second per attack on a champion. so clearly we want attack speed.

now if we're reducing cooldowns, we'll need the mana and/or mana regen to keep up with the spells. now some people think well if my attack speed is reducing cooldowns already, I dont need cooldown reduction. this is wrong, you want the cooldown reduction such that the higher cooldown spells will be reduced with less hits and thus higher frequency of usage.

another aspect you'll want to look at is his exoskeleton ability. while his shield is still up, you gain attack speed and movement speed. well both of these stats are very important to skarner, attack speed means lower cooldown reduction which is something we like. movement speed means more dragging distance with impale and also chasing or running away. because of this you'll want armor and/or magic resistance to ensure your shield stays up as long as possible.

as for damage, skarner is a hybrid champion and benifits from both physical and magical damage. but due to his ability to cast his abilities so frequently, it doesnt take much damage stats to make him deadly, thus this stat is not a priority.

so lets recap, we like attack speed, mana/mana regen, CDR, and defensive stats.

so lets finally start on runes. I get attack speed marks, armor per level seals, magic resistance glyphs and cooldown reduction quints.

for masteries http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-2-0-3-0-3-0-0

this set up gives me a good amount of resistance and 14% cooldown reduction, and also mana regen from the masteries.

for items I start off with mana crystal and 2 health pots.
on your first return, try to make enough to get sheen and boots of speed.
then work your way to nashoor's tooth starting with a fiendish codex.

the codex with the masteries will give you enough mana regen that you'll be able to regen just enough mana for crystal slash when it is off cooldown.

once nashoor's tooth is complete this is the point where it all depends on what your opponents are and how well your game has been.

you'll want to upgrade your boots, if your against multiple CC champions then of course merc treads are the way to go. if not and your not doing too well, then berserker greaves is probably best for you, otherwise get boots of swiftness.

if your opponents hasnt been doing much damage to you or are not seeing you as a threat yet. then feel safe to start building a guinsoo's rageblade. if there are heavy hp champions that are over 2500 hp, start building a madred's bloodrazor, starting with the recurve bow

if your opponents are doing much damage to you, then start building your defense. check your death logs for the damage type your taking most on. if your against heavy AD champions, I suggest getting sunfire cape or thornmail, only one or the other, never both together. (unless there is no real magic damage threat)

for magic resistance you'll want to go with either banshee's veil if the enemies are heavy in nukes or CC. if they're champions who are consistant magic damage, look into getting a wits end and lichbane followed by an abyssal scepter.

always build no more than 2 pure defense items. you'll want about 150-200 armor and MR. if only one resistance type is needed, feel free to go upto 250 instead. but never above 300.

as for the sheen, this should be the very last item to be upgraded as everything else gives stats that are much more important than this. the upgraded sheen is just the icing on the cake. if your AP is over 200 then your better off building a lichbane, otherwise trinity force would be a wiser choice.

so lets recap, in the end your item build should look like this
sheen item, boots, nashoor's tooth, defensive item, defensive item, damage item.

as for skill build the way I start off with is getting fracture at level 1, crystal slash at level 2, then maxing out crystalline exoskeleton and getting impale every chance you can. then maxing out crystal slash then fracture last.

fracture at level 1 is mainly for last hitting and harassing in the early game when being in melee range may be too dangerous. but if you find yourself in a team you know you can zone out the enemy, you can skip fracture all together and start off with crystal slash.

when fighting minions, only use fracture if you need some health or to last hit an enemy minion. its more mana efficent to only use crystal slash to kill minions and jungle creeps.

hope this help future skarner players and maybe change the idea about how skarner was represented before

DarkenDragon

10-27-2011

/bump would really like some feedback on what the public thinks weither it be good or bad.

StrykRaishou

10-27-2011

If you want to build MR and armor to help the shield, wouldn't Wit's End make sense?

Just a suggestion.

DarkenDragon

10-27-2011

wits end was mentioned in there