Playing Defensively

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VhakulaKhaulepi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2011

Is it worth it? Let me give you an example of what happens to me often enough in Dominion:

Enemy team has three or four AD.
I buy Thornmail, possibly GA too.
I end with a lot of assists, and I die very little.
My score is low.

So, was it worth it? Like, even if not on the scoreboard, was it worth being a nuisance and having a solid k/d/a? My last game in Dom, I got 3rd on my team.

Deaths: 3 (me), 7, 10, 12, 14
Caps: 9, 8, 8 (me), 4, 2

So the #1 guy died more than double the times I did, he got one whole cap more, and he got more kills with fewer assists. Why is an assist worth so little? Why is dying worth so much (Martyr 30) when staying alive is worth so little (defense 5)?

It seems like Riot wants me to build glass cannon even though it's less effective in many ways. Pretty much any time I end up in a 1v1 or even 1v2 against AD champs, I win, because I'm countering them intentionally. Yet I'm valued hardly at all in games just like that. Riot, it's not hard to cannon in, score a kill, then die on a turret. I've done it many times in the past. Really, it could be a horribly dumb thing to do, but it's worth a ton! Why? Because dying doesn't matter. There's no death penalty. There's no "hey, good build" bonus, or "you just held off three players at a turret" bonus.

Sigh.

Note: My assists are with Tryndamere, so I'm often doing a ton of the damage. Yet my 5 or 10 or 15 assists seem to hardly count for anything. QQ.

Luthien Kess

11-03-2011

Good score =/= winning

Whether it's in classic with your k/d ratio, or in dominion with your points, a good score does not necessarily make you win the game. I've won games in classic where the other team had 30+ more kills than us, and lost games in dominion where we all had higher scores than them.

VhakulaKhaulepi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2011

Yeah, I've won in both Dominion and Classic when my team was down in score. I guess I should've posted this in Dominion, because surely the employees who work on the scoring system are attempting to make it accurate! It just seems odd to me that not dying and continuously "assisting" (e.g., dropping an enemy to 10%) are not worth all that much.